diy solar

diy solar

Securing JDB Bluetooth

meetyg, thanks for reporting your results.
No problem... I was curious too.
Too bad I didn't try this with my previous JBD Lifepo4 builds. Now they are all enclosed in sealed battery boxes, so I don't has access to the BMS UART port.

OK guys, I've got some good news:
You can set the BMS password using the JBDTools Windows app (the Chinese version, downloaded from Overkill Solar website). That is if you have the UART to USB converter for the JBD:

Overkill also has their own version which will allow to clear the password, but not set it.
For some reason, the Chinese version showed me all question marks instead of English on the "Other options" tab, but from Overkill's attached picture (came in the zip file) I was able to understand what textbox to enter the password in, and what button to press (both marked in red circles):
From overkill:
View attachment 82550

From me running the app:
View attachment 82551

Please note you need to enter a 6 digit number!
I was successful, and when I disconnected the Uart adapter and connected the Bluetooth dongle, it asked me for a password when trying to connect to the BMS using the Android app.

So there you go... it's possible!

P.S. Do this at your own risk!
I was successful with a 4S 150A JBD BMS, but it might not work for you...
Thank you for the reply, After getting the 1st unit to work following the directions the 3 additional ones would never work.

Thank you for the reply, After getting the 1st unit to work following the directions the 3 additional ones would never work.
Well first, make sure they all have the UART port, not the RS485.
Second, maybe it's a firmware version issue.
AFAIK we don't have any easy to update the firmware on these things. Maybe in newer firmwares setting the password is possible, but not on older versions.

Hi everyone

Bluetooth password setting works fine with Xiaoxiang app.
You need to enter 000000 as current password if never changed.
The new password is memorized by the app, so you need to uninstall and reinstall it to check the password setting.

Newer hardware versions also allow a hardware pin, the updated IOS app has a setting for this.

I just tested it with a new 120A BMS, and I was able to change the pin from the IOS app. Once changed, I tried with an Android phone and upon connecting it asked for the pincode before I had access.

On older versions this is not possible (and I don't know how to update the firmware)

IMG_6055.jpgIMG_6056.jpgIMG_6057.jpg

Last edited:
My Overkill Solar BMS froze during a parameter change.
Had to pull the Plug, balance connector, to get it to reset.
It came back Password Protected.
Had to buy their USB UART to clear the password.
Back to Android BlueTooth, OK

I built another battery. Used an identical BMS with RadioB brand name.
Both respond to OKSolar app, both have identical apps. OKS on my phone and RadioB on my Tablet.

The APP is Frustrating with no pause to choose the battery. Gotta hit Reset and Connect and just hope.
I know I have the right one by the MAC address last :NN.

The BMS can be renamed by changing the Device Model, under APP Settings
Rename shows up on Bluetooth connection and above the settings Menus, but not on the dashboard.

A password can be entered under APP Settings too. Original Pass Word: 000000
It's so transparent, the APP must have remembered it. Confirmed it worked when trying on my 2nd device, the Tablet.

Last edited:
Back