diy solar

diy solar

Seplos BMS - Broken after 160 cycles

antera

I have so far refrained from posting in public, but unfortunately this company has some serious quality problems.

I have purchased one of their BMS units and have nothing but problems with it. The BMS now stopped balancing after only about 160 cycles, some cells overload to 3.5V while others only partially charge to 3.3V. I am no longer able to fully charge the battery beyond about 84% and it gets worse every day. Their BMS has had problems from day one. At random the ambiant temperature sensor would read zero and shut the whole unit down, the RJ45 connectors so flaky that it drops a connection just from someone walking by. The contact springs they are using are so weak that the plug falls a out even with the latch fully pushed in.

This wouldn't be an issue if Seplos would honestly care about their products. Unfortunately they don't. Instead their strategy is to evade and to pretend nothing happened. Specifically their sales person Adam Han who seems to be in control of their client communication disappears for weeks pretending he didn't receive multiple messages sent to him (he did as I was able to confirm with another employee), and when he responds his common response to anything communicated is an unrelated 'OK' in an attempt to stonewall the issue or believing it will somehow go away.

I am talking from the perspective of a professional in the semiconductor industry. Their PCB production has some serious quality issues, their reflow process is out of tune with visible areas of unmelted solder balls across the board resulting in faulty solder contacts that may or may not function. The quality of the parts they use is abhorrent. Quality shielded RJ45 connectors cost less than a dollar per unit, instead they cheap out using sub-standard components with the end result that the CAN-bus wiring constantly drops connection shutting the whole system down.

That BMS that we purchased now is dead and a throw away. It has stopped balancing voltage differences across cells the cells exceed > 200mV. Worse than having wasted our money on this broken BMS we are now facing the danger that this BMS damages our battery cells, some cells are constantly stressed out to their maximum allowable limit while others remain barely charged. Before we damage our expensive batteries we have no choice but to take this BMS offline and replace it with a more reliable product. I am posting this in hopes that others don't have to go through the same experience. Don't buy this tofu dreg from Seplos, their product is of poor quality, they show no intention to make good on their months-long promises and their customer service is non-existent.

Attachments

• seplos-bms-broken-balance.jpg
    seplos-bms-broken-balance.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 60
  • seplos-bms-soc-cap.jpg
    seplos-bms-soc-cap.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 72
  • seplos-bms-solder-balls-annot.jpg
    seplos-bms-solder-balls-annot.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 83
  • seplos-conn-annot.jpg
    seplos-conn-annot.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 81
  • seplos-bms-cutout.jpg
    seplos-bms-cutout.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 74
@antera - was this issue ever resolved? I'm a bit concerned as I was getting ready to talk with Seplos for a 100 pcs order for some industrial packs, but will spend some more time looking for alternatives.

I was recently perusing YT and decided to look at Andy's Vids (Andy's off gid garage) as he did a set of vids on the Seplos Kits and I was curious. The last one he hits on their BMS... Have a Look See.

The engineer I talked to acknowledged the issue and promised a replacement in early July. That promise was empty with no intention to follow up. They asked me to purchase another product claiming their shipping charges are too high to send the replacement directly. I bought one of their metal enclosures trusting they would send the replacement board as promised. That replacement was never shipped, despite numerous reminders, Their mode of client support is to either ignore your communication altogether or to reply with a generic 'OK'.

That board is dead now, cell differences are > 200mV as it has stopped balancing. There is the danger the board may damage the battery cells with some cells constantly stressed out to their maximum allowable limit. Seplos has a serious quality problem with their boards. While their engineers seem to acknowledge it their management decided to stonewall the issue believing it will somehow go away. I would not recommend their product if you wish to use your battery for more than 160 cycles.

Thank you @antera -- I'm really sorry to hear about your issues and hope that Seplos comes through in the end. It looks like the case design is solid, but I'm really surprised the BMS is in as bad of shape with quality issues, etc. The parts on the board are not expensive, so they should have really good margins.

I'll check out Meritsun and any other parallel-capable BMS systems with Pylontech CAN support to get an in-house designed BMS back on track. I've only been allocated 2 billable days and 4 calendar weeks for the project, so that rules out doing any clean-slate designs or anything involving writing some protocol conversion software, so it needs to be off-the-shelf drop in.

Same experience here, Adam from seplos is an arrogant a$$, doesn't follow through on his promises, he will tell you whatever you want to hear but once he takes your money attitude changes right away. Alan from support is almost useless and a waste of time for the most parts. English translation of this bms doesn't make any sense and there are so many undocumented issues that it is not even funny. (If in parallel over CAN you will not be able to connect to your master pack for config, only slaves) Seplos is a reseller, they don't make this bms so I wouldn't buy again, look somewhere else. All documentation is written in Chinglish, customer service is unexistent and product is too expensive for what it is.
Steer clear...

Non-technical resellers do not provide any real value for DIYers. A bit of shame since Seplos has a good potential market with the case kits.

This is the email that I received after originally having ordered and paid for the unit at their listed price on alibaba.com:

How are you? Yhank you for inquiry for our 48v 200Ah 16s BMS on alibaba, we already received a payment for USD 245. But the balance is USD10.

Can we finish the balance USD10, so we can arrange the shipment for you? By the way, the shipping cost on alibaba is for reference, not the actually cost.

Let's issue this order in no time.

Your quick response to my email will enable us move further.

I should have cancelled the order right there, this company has a serious attitude problem.

Attachments

• seplos-money-request.jpg
    seplos-money-request.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
We need a new thread created, something as #SeplosMustGo or Beware Seplos...
I had more "troubleshooting" with Alan and he is really the evil one too. If he doesn't like you, he will send you wrong files, wrong info, waste your time (I suspect he gets off on it) without fixing anything and to add insult to injury he will even try to sabotage your hardware by disabling high voltage protection and alarm on your bms.
I can't recommend seplos to anyone, not even an enemy.

Non-technical resellers do not provide any real value for DIYers. A bit of shame since Seplos has a good potential market with the case kits.
You gotta hate yourself at the end if you give them your money. I don't care about $$$ it was a test / proof of concept for us but wasted time we will never get back.

Can we finish the balance USD10, so we can arrange the shipment for you? By the way, the shipping cost on alibaba is for reference, not the actually cost.
To be fair, the USD10 was probably due to bank fees taking their cut if you paid by bank transfer. As for the shipping cost, they should have put the actual cost on there when they finalised the order, but sounds like they were being lazy. Costs for BMSs should be pretty fixed as well since those normally go express (FedEx, TNT, DHL, etc).

I read the thread. I have something to say too.
My BMS is out of commission too. It happens. Although the problem with the d4 diode is clearly a manufacturing problem. At least look at their diode replacement guide.
I've talked to both Alan and Adam numerous times.
Normal guys. Alan is so quick to respond that I was surprised.
Adam is not always quick to answer. But be more patient and persistent.
You can't be so mean, guys. Be kinder.
Business isn't always kind to everyone.
Here I personally want to say thank you for having Seplos.
In spite of all my misadventures with this BMS.

I read the thread. I have something to say too.
My BMS is out of commission too. It happens. Although the problem with the d4 diode is clearly a manufacturing problem. At least look at their diode replacement guide.
I've talked to both Alan and Adam numerous times.
Normal guys. Alan is so quick to respond that I was surprised.
Adam is not always quick to answer. But be more patient and persistent.
You can't be so mean, guys. Be kinder.
Business isn't always kind to everyone.
Here I personally want to say thank you for having Seplos.
In spite of all my misadventures with this BMS.
This is a business with a track record of using this forum for product ideas and promotion.

Then when users have problems and ask for help the business reps are nowhere to be seen.

This is a dog act, and not a business that i would recommend.

Not being mean, just saying it as i see it.

Back