diy solar

diy solar

Seplos Mason DIY kit review (4/5)

testtenor

My Seplos kit arrived last week and I've put it all together with some Xuba 280ah cells. I thought I would give some insight and some pictures as to the process and what I found.

Firstly the cells came first, they were from Xuba and cost $2112 USD delivered and duty paid to the UK. These were then top balanced with a little bench power supply to 3.663V. This took AGES. Nearly two weeks end to end. The cells also came with the bus bars and nuts. They came well packaged and I don't have any complaints.

Cells unpacked and top balanced
IMG20220909103329.jpg 1521-16646501816392022116992815700242.jpg

The kit arrived well packaged (on the outside. On the inside everything was just kind of thrown in there. The bags were zip tied onto a central strut and one bag had broken open. This is something I believe has been experienced by others too. From my understanding Seplos is now putting all these bits in a sealed box. That's great going forward, less so for me. That said, very few bits were actually loose.

Box arrived and opened up
1514-IMG-20220930-WA0000.jpeg IMG20220930164120.jpg

Below is the full kit unpacked. There is NO INSTRUCTION manual. You get a lot of bits in the kit. To summarise you get the BMS, BMS Fuse, flexible metal plates for the BMS so it can reach the batteries, some heat sink blu tack stuff, tonnes of screws, nuts and bolts, bus bars (aluminium), front plate + and - connectors, EVA tape for between the batteries and for under the balancer and some hard fibre board to electrically insulate the case. The case is also built like a bomb shelter. I also ordered some cables and a BMS connector cable (which didn't arrive) - more on this part later.

Everything unpacked
IMG20220930165813.jpgIMG20220930165825.jpg

The build was frankly very straight forward. I didn't really need the instructions but I had to ask Seplos to send them to me. I did use a couple of YouTube videos to make sure I didn't do anything too wrong. 90% of the work is building the BMS and the final 10% is putting in the cells. All in all I would say end to end this took me about 2-3hrs. I could easily do a second one in way less time. As a note on the ease I built the bulk of this with a single screw driver and allen key. I didn't use a torque wrench until the end, when I tightened everything up.

The BMS fuse is a bit.. meh. I might add my own in line fuse in the future. If this one goes, that's it, its a one shot burn through job.

The BMS assembled.
IMG20221001163114.jpg

Everything assembled, waiting for the cells
IMG20221001170146.jpg

The cells were very easy to put in. Pop the EVA foam on them and slide them in. They also tighten up a huge amount and get very snug. With the cells in, the battery weighs the same as a small car. I put mine on a small dolly and did the final assembly on the floor. Lifting this thing would be a small hernia in the making. Its over 100kg.

Cells in and the front plate tightened up. The top plates for the BMS was simple to install, 4 screws.
IMG20221003094322.jpg

Getting the cells in and connecting them was very simple. Seplos provides a battery layout diagram which is simple and also makes perfect sense. Everything fit well. They did provide little copper washers for the top of the cells. This is a complaint. They were 3 short in the bag. Therefore some cells have them and some don't. I made sure that all cells were matched e.g. copper touching copper under the bus bars, but its an annoyance it was short. I know some people didn't bother with them at all, but I added them anyway. Nuts were torqued to 8Nm on the front plate and 5Nm on the cells. I do have a measured torque wrench so this wasn't an issue. However if you had no wrench you could probably get away with a screw driver torque wrench. I did them by hand by first and almost all of them were at 5Nm when I used the measure wrench.

BMS installed
IMG20221003094939.jpg

Finally I checked the cell voltages on the ribbons before I connected the BMS. Everything was fine so I added the BMS front plate, connected up and tightened what needed to be tightened. I would suggest you add the ribbons to the BMS and connect to the cells vs connect to cells and then to the BMS. The space is too tight in behind the BMS to get your hands in easily.

Last thing was to connect to the BMS on my laptop to set the cell size to 280ah (default is 200ah). I couldn't do this. I ordered the cable with the kit and Seplos forgot to put it in. Frankly this SHOULD come with it. its $25 from them (which is too much anyway). The kit was $600 plus shipping, it should be included. I tried my pylontech cable... didn't work. Tried a normal ethernet... didn't work. In the end I had to buy a USB adaptor and build my own ethernet cable with the pin out they sent me. I really shouldn't need to do this - just chuck in the cable guys.

Overall this is a very easy kit and I would build another. It cost under $3k USD delivered and tax paid for 15kwh of storage. Is there more work than a normal server rack, yes. Is it a hassle to build? No. Its at best an afternoon of work for even an unskilled person. I would give it 4/5.

Last edited:
The manual is in their website? Or so I thought as Andy mentioned it.
Yes there is. It's not in the kit. Nor is there a guide on where to find it. I had to ask Seplos and look at YouTube. It would be easy to throw one in or at least a link to where it could be found

How many people did it take to lift it off the table? ?

I've a Seplos Kit here ready to build, mine also arrived with bags burst open and busbars strewn everywhere. I'm just waiting to resolve an issue with some damaged cells before I make a start on mine. It's going into a tight spot under the stairs, so I'm going to have to give some thought logistically to how I move it around and where I build it.

I've a Seplos Kit here ready to build, mine also arrived with bags burst open and busbars strewn everywhere. I'm just waiting to resolve an issue with some damaged cells before I make a start on mine. It's going into a tight spot under the stairs, so I'm going to have to give some thought logistically to how I move it around and where I build it.
I lifted it before I put in the cells. I got a cheap dolly with wheels and finished it on the floor on the dolly. Now I can just roll it around.

Yes I was considering a dolly. I'm also toying with the idea of getting a robust data cabinet and putting some sturdy wheels on it. Then either putting it inside that, or probably more realistically putting it on top. That would allow me to add some server rack batteries at some point if needs be. However if the Seplos works out perhaps I'll just add another. You'd struggle to beat it for value for money,

OP's a strongman, didn't you know? :cool:

I think that the overall build quality and layout are rather good, only that the unsecured accessories are an irritation.

OP's a strongman, didn't you know? :cool:

I think that the overall build quality and layout are rather good, only that the unsecured accessories are an irritation.
They've corrected that now. They added a video to their facebook showing they are now putting everything inside foam and into a box. So I cant see any issues on that front anymore. And yes, super buff

1529-Screenshot2022-10-03-22-29-11-9640deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Yes I was considering a dolly. I'm also toying with the idea of getting a robust data cabinet and putting some sturdy wheels on it. Then either putting it inside that, or probably more realistically putting it on top. That would allow me to add some server rack batteries at some point if needs be. However if the Seplos works out perhaps I'll just add another. You'd struggle to beat it for value for money,
I got a £12 one from Lidl. Its just a bit of wood on wheels. If you can guy some castor wheels from a shop you could make your own in about 5 mins. Honestly, I'd put the data cabinet on top of the Seplos. I think it could potentially survive a nuclear war given its construction.

They did provide little copper washers for the top of the cells.
I am I understanding correctly that their instructions have you put an un-plated copper washer between the plated copper bus bar and the aluminum battery terminal?

This seems counter productive to me, as the copper is prone to corrosion if its not plated, and it puts it in direct contact with a dissimilar metal. It also creates an extra interface of two pieces between the bus bar and the battery. I would think this might lead to higher resistance on the terminal to bus bar connections.

I am I understanding correctly that their instructions have you put an un-plated copper washer between the plated copper bus bar and the aluminum battery terminal?

This seems counter productive to me, as the copper is prone to corrosion if its not plated, and it puts it in direct contact with a dissimilar metal. It also creates an extra interface of two pieces between the bus bar and the battery. I would think this might lead to higher resistance on the terminal to bus bar connections.
That's correct. I'm not sure if it's the right thing or not. I share your concerns. That said the bus bar is aluminium, not copper which has been plated. I'm not sure on the reason from Seplos, it isn't explained in any way.

the copper is a very soft.material.that can crush, i.o.w. fill up space and gas tighten so there is optimum conductivity and minimize if not prevent oxidation

the copper is a very soft.material.that can crush, i.o.w. fill up space and gas tighten so there is optimum conductivity and minimize if not prevent oxidation
This makes perfect sense if the fastener torque is high enough to actually flatten the copper against the aluminum to the point it provides a good seal. This works on the oil pan of my car where the torque is about 25 newton meters. I still have trouble buying that a copper washer is getting crushed at 4 newton meters to the point that humidity won't ingress into the microscopic gaps and start corrosion.

How soft are these washers?

The electrical industry has plenty of experience with problems of combining these metals under a single fastener. Products like Noalox were created to mitigate this issue. I take it that the directions did not say to use any of these products

I'm not intentionally being argumentative here, because if this actually works at low torques, it solves some problems. I just can't find any copper crush washer specs to verify it.

For that drain plug “crush” washer, it’s not about “crushing” the copper enough for it to say ooze out under deformation, but more of yield to the imperfections of the oil pan to make a nice seal. Also no one cares about moisture going into the oil as that drain plug has positive pressure on it, it’s about oil not escaping causing a drip.

I’ve also come across aluminum crush washers and steel captive washers.

For the fastening torque of bias bars, again it’s not about moisture but about clamping force enough for current flow without pulling the threads of the cell.

This is probably why so many manufactured batteries have welded terminals to bus bars, no need to worry about stripping a thread.

Last edited:
My Seplos kit arrived last week and I've put it all together with some Xuba 280ah cells. I thought I would give some insight and some pictures as to the process and what I found.

Firstly the cells came first, they were from Xuba and cost $2112 USD delivered and duty paid to the UK. These were then top balanced with a little bench power supply to 3.663V. This took AGES. Nearly two weeks end to end. The cells also came with the bus bars and nuts. They came well packaged and I don't have any complaints.

Cells unpacked and top balanced
View attachment 115331 View attachment 115333

The kit arrived well packaged (on the outside. On the inside everything was just kind of thrown in there. The bags were zip tied onto a central strut and one bag had broken open. This is something I believe has been experienced by others too. From my understanding Seplos is now putting all these bits in a sealed box. That's great going forward, less so for me. That said, very few bits were actually loose.

Box arrived and opened up
View attachment 115337 View attachment 115338

Below is the full kit unpacked. There is NO INSTRUCTION manual. You get a lot of bits in the kit. To summarise you get the BMS, BMS Fuse, flexible metal plates for the BMS so it can reach the batteries, some heat sink blu tack stuff, tonnes of screws, nuts and bolts, bus bars (aluminium), front plate + and - connectors, EVA tape for between the batteries and for under the balancer and some hard fibre board to electrically insulate the case. The case is also built like a bomb shelter. I also ordered some cables and a BMS connector cable (which didn't arrive) - more on this part later.

Everything unpacked
View attachment 115339View attachment 115341

The build was frankly very straight forward. I didn't really need the instructions but I had to ask Seplos to send them to me. I did use a couple of YouTube videos to make sure I didn't do anything too wrong. 90% of the work is building the BMS and the final 10% is putting in the cells. All in all I would say end to end this took me about 2-3hrs. I could easily do a second one in way less time. As a note on the ease I built the bulk of this with a single screw driver and allen key. I didn't use a torque wrench until the end, when I tightened everything up.

The BMS fuse is a bit.. meh. I might add my own in line fuse in the future. If this one goes, that's it, its a one shot burn through job.

The BMS assembled.
View attachment 115342

Everything assembled, waiting for the cells
View attachment 115343

The cells were very easy to put in. Pop the EVA foam on them and slide them in. They also tighten up a huge amount and get very snug. With the cells in, the battery weighs the same as a small car. I put mine on a small dolly and did the final assembly on the floor. Lifting this thing would be a small hernia in the making. Its over 100kg.

Cells in and the front plate tightened up. The top plates for the BMS was simple to install, 4 screws.
View attachment 115344

Getting the cells in and connecting them was very simple. Seplos provides a battery layout diagram which is simple and also makes perfect sense. Everything fit well. They did provide little copper washers for the top of the cells. This is a complaint. They were 3 short in the bag. Therefore some cells have them and some don't. I made sure that all cells were matched e.g. copper touching copper under the bus bars, but its an annoyance it was short. I know some people didn't bother with them at all, but I added them anyway. Nuts were torqued to 8Nm on the front plate and 5Nm on the cells. I do have a measured torque wrench so this wasn't an issue. However if you had no wrench you could probably get away with a screw driver torque wrench. I did them by hand by first and almost all of them were at 5Nm when I used the measure wrench.

BMS installed
View attachment 115346

Finally I checked the cell voltages on the ribbons before I connected the BMS. Everything was fine so I added the BMS front plate, connected up and tightened what needed to be tightened. I would suggest you add the ribbons to the BMS and connect to the cells vs connect to cells and then to the BMS. The space is too tight in behind the BMS to get your hands in easily.

Last thing was to connect to the BMS on my laptop to set the cell size to 280ah (default is 200ah). I couldn't do this. I ordered the cable with the kit and Seplos forgot to put it in. Frankly this SHOULD come with it. its $25 from them (which is too much anyway). The kit was $600 plus shipping, it should be included. I tried my pylontech cable... didn't work. Tried a normal ethernet... didn't work. In the end I had to buy a USB adaptor and build my own ethernet cable with the pin out they sent me. I really shouldn't need to do this - just chuck in the cable guys.

Overall this is a very easy kit and I would build another. It cost under $3k USD delivered and tax paid for 15kwh of storage. Is there more work than a normal server rack, yes. Is it a hassle to build? No. Its at best an afternoon of work for even an unskilled person. I would give it 4/5.
Like an idiot, I did not get cables for the snap on terminal connectors. Was there a part number you used to order the cables with the l shaped plug that snaps into the terminals? I searched online, but the futronics part numbers on the terminals are a dead end. What size are the plugs, and whats the max cable size? 1/0?

Like an idiot, I did not get cables for the snap on terminal connectors. Was there a part number you used to order the cables with the l shaped plug that snaps into the terminals? I searched online, but the futronics part numbers on the terminals are a dead end. What size are the plugs, and whats the max cable size? 1/0?
they are called futronics connectors

they are called futronics connectors

Thanks buddy!

Back