diy solar

diy solar

Seplos Mason DIY kit review (4/5)

Damn I didn't even know that existed. I've just placed an order for another Mason, I would have ordered one of those too.
Yeah, I didnt know about the Mason base stand either until I saw Andy at offgridgarage youtube channel using one.

I had already paid $200 for a ULINE 1000lb base with wheels, but they dont lock like the Mason base.

Yeah, I didnt know about the Mason base stand either until I saw Andy at offgridgarage youtube channel using one.

I had already paid $200 for a ULINE 1000lb base with wheels, but they dont lock like the Mason base.

I was going to order the stand, but my batteries are under the stairs and I don't have enough head height.

When the second arrives I'll need to find another dolly too as my Silverline dolly is 1cm too high and I'm not sure it will take the weight of two fully loaded Masons anyway. Unsure what two will weigh, but must be 200kg+ ?

I was going to order the stand, but my batteries are under the stairs and I don't have enough head height.

When the second arrives I'll need to find another dolly too as my Silverline dolly is 1cm too high and I'm not sure it will take the weight of two fully loaded Masons anyway. Unsure what two will weigh, but must be 200kg+ ?
I think they are about 200lb each, so around 180kg. I had a corner drop on my toe a few weeks back while trying to get it on my ULINE stand, and I am still limping around. Use two people to move those puppies. They are heavy for one person.

I think they are about 200lb each, so around 180kg. I had a corner drop on my toe a few weeks back while trying to get it on my ULINE stand, and I am still limping around. Use two people to move those puppies. They are heavy for one person.
they are 105 kg fully packed ( a pound is about half a kilo)
and yes they will break your back

I can lift one on my own easily enough, within reason, I'm not wandering around the house with it.
they are 105 kg fully packed ( a pound is about half a kilo)
and yes they will break your back

Yeah figured as much. I can lift one easily enough, within reason, I'm not wandering around the house with it. But as it's going into a little nook under the stairs I need to find something I can use to wheel them in and out capable of taking the weight that can be no more than 10cm high.

I may need to get creative and build something myself using some angle iron and a set of wheels.

IMG_7357.JPG

I can lift one on my own easily enough, within reason, I'm not wandering around the house with it.

Yeah figured as much. I can lift one easily enough, within reason, I'm not wandering around the house with it. But as it's going into a little nook under the stairs I need to find something capable of taking the weight that can be no more than 10cm high.

I may need to get creative and build something myself using some angle iron and a set of wheels.

View attachment 138094
you could look into a quatersize of half size server rack.
mine are in a used hp san rack nicely locked safe

Yeah figured as much. I can lift one easily enough, within reason, I'm not wandering around the house with it. But as it's going into a little nook under the stairs I need to find something I can use to wheel them in and out capable of taking the weight that can be no more than 10cm high.

View attachment 138094
This is what I bought. Its a perfect fit, but you may want to get upgraded wheels that lock.

The Seplos JASSN busbar includes six 125amp DC breakers, one for each battery in a six battery stack. Your Inverters can also connect to the JASSN. They were $100 when I bought mine, but the price may have gone up since then. You can search the Seplos website.
The JASSN also looks nice, and provides a more professional appearance to the complete solution.
Hmm, I didn't order that with my batteries. It was 150 USD; I planned to use the "Victron lynx power in" to connect the batteries.
Are those circuit breakers are compatible with DC. from your pictures, they look like rated for AC voltage.

Hmm, I didn't order that with my batteries. It was 150 USD; I planned to use the "Victron lynx power in" to connect the batteries.
Are those circuit breakers are compatible with DC. from your pictures, they look like rated for AC voltage.

They will 100% be DC rated.

Advice from someone who has already been bitten. Don't bother with the Lynx Distributor or the Lynx Shunt. Seriously regret it now. The distributor can't be relied on for fuse status and the Lynx Shunt is inaccurate, doesn't provide as detailed SOC data as the Smart Shunt and does not have bluetooth. If I were doing it again I'd buy 2 x Power Ins and a Smart Shunt and mod one to add fuses.

Yes, DC rated also.

Damn I didn't even know that existed. I've just placed an order for another Mason, I would have ordered one of those too.
You're buying another? What cells will you use this time?

They will 100% be DC rated.

Advice from someone who has already been bitten. Don't bother with the Lynx Distributor or the Lynx Shunt. Seriously regret it now. The distributor can't be relied on for fuse status and the Lynx Shunt is inaccurate, doesn't provide as detailed SOC data as the Smart Shunt and does not have bluetooth. If I were doing it again I'd buy 2 x Power Ins and a Smart Shunt and mod one to add fuses.
LOL. I also got bitten by the Lynk Shunt too. I too seriously regrate paying too much money for it and selling my lovely Smart shunt.

Last edited:
I decided to install an Active balancer for the Mason 280 DIY kit. This is the PowerPaul version of the Heltec 5A Active balancer. Hopefully, this will keep all cells nicely balanced.

I just did a test fitting to check the space; planning to have nylon standoff and plastic covering to cover the capacitors, just in case that falls onto the BMS.

But it looks like there is ample space between the balancer and BMS>

Attachments

• 20230306_141346.jpg
    20230306_141346.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230306_141350.jpg
    20230306_141350.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230306_141527.jpg
    20230306_141527.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230306_141536.jpg
    20230306_141536.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 55
You're buying another? What cells will you use this time?

Not 100% sure yet, I haven't ordered anything, debating what to do for the best. I've still got some busbar left over to make the bridge if I use the new terminals. All cells matching in both batteries would probably make sense I suppose. I need to look into if there's any added benefit of getting 304AH cells if they are being paralleled with 280s before making a decision.

I've been too busy having fun automating my system to mine crypto with my excess power using node-red to look at it. I'll likely pull the trigger on something next week. Open to suggestions though.

LOL. I also got bitten by the Lynk Shunt too. I too seriously regrate paying too much money for it and selling my lovely Smart shunt.

Fortunately I didn't pay full price for it, think I paid £200? Still even at £200 it's an expensive fuse holder. Next time I make any modifications I'll disconnect the data connection from it and install my smart shunt. Lesson learned.

I decided to install an Active balancer for the Mason 280 DIY kit. This is the PowerPaul version of the Heltec 5A Active balancer. Hopefully, this will keep all cells nicely balanced.

I just did a test fitting to check the space; planning to have nylon standoff and plastic covering to cover the capacitors, just in case that falls onto the BMS.

Nice. I was considering squeezing a Neeee active balancer in there at some point, but that looks like a tidier solution. Look forward to seeing it fitted and wired up.

will these only start at 4.45v.
I remember fiddling around with balancers lookign exactly like these in the past when working on a friends system , but they seem to be "on" always causing even more inbalances

will these only start at 4.45v.
I remember fiddling around with balancers lookign exactly like these in the past when working on a friends system , but they seem to be "on" always causing even more inbalances
4.45? Did you mean 3.65? If you check out what @DanF did, he used Heltec balancers Only, with no BMS, and seemed to have good success.
Dan also has a youtube channel as Dan Fitzpatrick. https://youtube.com/@danfitzpatrick4112

4.45? Did you mean 3.65? If you check out what @DanF did, he used Heltec balancers Only, with no BMS, and seemed to have good success.
Dan also has a youtube channel as Dan Fitzpatrick. https://youtube.com/@danfitzpatrick4112
my fat finger stands corrected...
i meant 3.45... i guess i like my balancers to run between 3.45 until the cells hit 3.37.
Dan is a bigger man than i am... i like me my cell safety devices

I couldn't wait till the delivery of the standoff to make top protection for the active balancer. (I will do it later). I completed the installation of the balancer and BMS. There is enough space between the balancer and BMS, that shouldn't be a big problem

As expected balancer does a great job of balancing the cells. It balanced from 200mV to 2mV in a few hours.

Attachments

• 20230309_171651.jpg
    20230309_171651.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230309_171704.jpg
    20230309_171704.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Final Balance.JPG
    Final Balance.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 53
  • stopped charging.JPG
    stopped charging.JPG