diy solar

diy solar

Seplos Mason DIY kit review (4/5)

anyone know which aerosol fire extinguisher can connect to nr 14?
I asked Seplos on Aliexpress but i got the reply thy dont know what an aerosol fire system is...

ihrhtPjNek.jpg
This is the v3 BMS, so I wouldn't have an idea..
Sorry

Hi, I downloaded the battery monitory v2 and i can now connect

getting 2 warnings

1700135179425.png

Hi, I downloaded the battery monitory v2 and i can now connect

getting 2 warnings

View attachment 178076
Good, don't worry about alarms, these are just telling you your pack and every cell is almost full .
Now connect your inverter, charge until overvoltage disconnect ( warnings will turn red ), then discharge completely until low voltage disconnect ( again red, make sure to not connect the inverter comms)..
Your BMS will be calibrated, then connected comes, charge and use normally, SOC should be very accurate, and comm will tell your inverter to slow down charging to 10a as soon as the yellow alarms pop up, therefor helping in the balancing and making sure the inverter shuts down charging long before the BMS has to disconnect hard ( which can hurt the FETS)

Seems you are well underway !

Hi, would you change any of the default parameters in the BMS at this point?

i was more than a bit worried about the over voltage warnings, ive got 4 pylontech us3000c, all connected to victron inverter and mppt(s) one of the mppt decided to output 80v when it was programmed to do 51.8, that blew the batteries bms, they are fixed now and if the seplos kit goes ok i will get another 280kit in the new year, i went for the 280 kit with 16 grade A LF 280k cells,

Good, don't worry about alarms, these are just telling you your pack and every cell is almost full .
Now connect your inverter, charge until overvoltage disconnect ( warnings will turn red ), then discharge completely until low voltage disconnect ( again red, make sure to not connect the inverter comms)..
Your BMS will be calibrated, then connected comes, charge and use normally, SOC should be very accurate, and comm will tell your inverter to slow down charging to 10a as soon as the yellow alarms pop up, therefor helping in the balancing and making sure the inverter shuts down charging long before the BMS has to disconnect hard ( which can hurt the FETS)

Seems you are well underway !
hi thanks for this,

Hi, would you change any of the default parameters in the BMS at this point?

i was more than a bit worried about the over voltage warnings, ive got 4 pylontech us3000c, all connected to victron inverter and mppt(s) one of the mppt decided to output 80v when it was programmed to do 51.8, that blew the batteries bms, they are fixed now and if the seplos kit goes ok i will get another 280kit in the new year, i went for the 280 kit with 16 grade A LF 280k cells,
The only value I change is the total voltage protection value, as this also used as the charge voltage.
Is set by default to 57,6 ( or 3.6 per cell)
I set it to 56,8

The only value I change is the total voltage protection value, as this also used as the charge voltage.
Is set by default to 57,6 ( or 3.6 per cell)
I set it to 56,8
I have no comms between Inverter and BMS.
My inverter settings are 56V bulk and 54.2V float. Seems to work pretty well across all 7 Masons.
Make sure you parallel to a busbar, and not across (linked) the batteries when stacked. It helps make the current pull even across batteries.

My inverter settings are 56V bulk and 54.2V float. Seems to work pretty well across all 7 Masons.
Make sure you parallel to a busbar, and not across (linked) the batteries when stacked. It helps make the current pull even across batteries.

Last edited:
hi, what size cable would you recommend for 1 seplos 280 kit, I was thinking of 50mm2 cable, i use mersen disconnects so that i can isolate the batteries if needed, in my pylontech setup i am using 40amp fuses for each pylontech so for 2 in parallel i was using 80amp disconnect fuses, would 160amp be ok for one seplos 280?

hi, what size cable would you recommend for 1 seplos 280 kit, I was thinking of 50mm2 cable, i use mersen disconnects so that i can isolate the batteries if needed, in my pylontech setup i am using 40amp fuses for each pylontech so for 2 in parallel i was using 80amp disconnect fuses, would 160amp be ok for one seplos 280?
You need to size the fuses based on the cables you use. 50mm are around 100amps. The 280 kit BMS usually uses the 200amp BMS. (Or maybe the 150? Depends on what you ordered).

Just fuse to protect the cable size, and you should be fine.

You need to size the fuses based on the cables you use. 50mm are around 100amps. The 280 kit BMS usually uses the 200amp BMS. (Or maybe the 150? Depends on what you ordered).

Hi, 50mm are rated at 345amps

Hmmm. The chart I use shows 134 to 151 amps, depending on single or three phase.

The Masons use 50mm connectors, but can be doubled up to a busbar if needed. The connectors look like amphenol, but I believe they are a chinese knockoff.

Since these boxes are capable of 200a , 70 mm is ( depending on your inverter obviously ) the minimum.
No , ~100 amps continues, but may handle high peek for a short time

Unless you have found a 50mm superconductor, in which case , share where I can buy it ;)

Since these boxes are capable of 200a , 70 mm is ( depending on your inverter obviously ) the minimum.

No , ~100 amps continues, but may handle high peek for a short time

Unless you have found a 50mm superconductor, in which case , share where I can buy it ;)
I have found that the current gets spread fairly evenly across the batteries, so a current draw of 200amps by the inverter would be about 50amps per battery in a four battery solution.

I use 1/0 flexible fine strand copper cable for my battery connections to the 1000amp Blue Sea busbars, and 4/0 from the busbars to the inverters.

I do NOT like the cheaper aluminum cables with copper coating, so I spend the extra money on the better pure copper cables.

Hmmm. The chart I use shows 134 to 151 amps, depending on single or three phase.

The Masons use 50mm connectors, but can be doubled up to a busbar if needed. The connectors look like amphenol, but I believe they are a chinese knockoff.
Actually they look like ampenol but are futronics
I have found that the current gets spread fairly evenly across the batteries, so a current draw of 200amps by the inverter would be about 50amps per battery in a four battery solution.

I use 1/0 flexible fine strand copper cable for my battery connections to the 1000amp Blue Sea busbars, and 4/0 from the busbars to the inverters.

I do NOT like the cheaper aluminum cables with copper coating, so I spend the extra money on the better pure copper cables.
Yeah, stay away from alu /copper coated.

My busbars are alu, but very beefy and able to handle 3* what my 2 12k inverter max can pull

Last edited:
Hi, the 70mm2 cable which i would have preferred to use wont fit onto the seplos battery terminal connectors, only solution i can think of is to use
4 50mm2 cable per battery to my mersen disconnect, Does anyone know of another solution, also i cant find anyone selling pre made 75mm2 cable connected to the seplos battery terminal connectors, they are all 50mm2

LOL 'chinese knock off' ............ for a case made in China might be expected ...... ?

Hi, the 70mm2 cable which i would have preferred to use wont fit onto the seplos battery terminal connectors, only solution i can think of is to use
4 50mm2 cable per battery to my mersen disconnect, Does anyone know of another solution, also i cant find anyone selling pre made 75mm2 cable connected to the seplos battery terminal connectors, they are all 50mm2

You'll be fine with 50mm..
Just make sure you do not exceed 100a draw out of the battery..
Should you need more, add batteries...

Second option is replacing the connectors all together.

Look at amphenol , most readily available

you can connect them straight away...
please do remember you need to "train" the bms...
in order to do so : after you connected the bms...

charge the pack until bms cut off, then discharge to bms cut off...
at that point the bms will be trained, and you can charge/use them as you would normally
For teaching cut offs, do you leave the bms defaults for both high and low? I can't remember what I did for my first two batteries, but I know I lowered the charge below default after setting up. will be setting up a third battery soon.

Back