diy solar

diy solar

Settings wrong on JK?

I'm still learning this stuff, but wouldn't that low battery have calibrated its soc at 100% with that one cell so high? Seems like with both your high and low cells in the range they are showing, that battery is charged, and should be 100% soc.
I dunno if it's just something wrong with the BMS saying 79%full and it's really 100%?

I know that 5 of 6 of the 280AH packs were imbalanced a great deal when I was using the overkill BMSs. Only 1 of them was still 280AH the others were all over the place like 157AH 170AH 210AH etc. The over voltage alarm would always be triggered with a cell going over 3.65 and other cells would be like 3.35

Found an old screenshot of one of the overkill BMSs I was running.

Screenshot_20230927_135411_Overkill Solar.jpg

omg that’s almost comically bad. JBD can keep cells balanced you just need a lot of time at >3.4v with “balance when charging” turned off.

Either way the second screen shot of the JK you posted showed it was balancing the cells, I think you just need to give it more time as the cells were really really out to lunch.

omg that’s almost comically bad. JBD can keep cells balanced you just need a lot of time at >3.4v with “balance when charging” turned off.

Either way the second screen shot of the JK you posted showed it was balancing the cells, I think you just need to give it more time as the cells were really really out to lunch.

Ya it was balancing at 2 amps. I thought about getting a 48 volt charging and putting it at 57 or 58 volts and let it charge just that one string of batteries.

Ever seen Voltage go this high on a cell?

Your protection parameters are wrong on your BMS. Stop and fix that first! You are damaging that cell; your BMS should cut off charging at 3.56V max. Set your cell over voltage protection to 3.6V (or even 3.55V).

Next, check your connections just to make sure.

Your protection parameters are wrong on your BMS. Stop and fix that first! You are damaging that cell; your BMS should cut off charging at 3.56V max. Set your cell over voltage protection to 3.6V (or even 3.55V).

Next, check your connections just to make sure.

This is the settings on it except I did change the start balance to 3.4 instead of 3.45. Thought maybe a little sooner would help.

Screenshot_20240206_003822_BMS.jpg

Something’s definitely out of wack. It shouldn’t be possible to have that screen shot on post 24 with the settings on post 27.
Cell #11 with 3.741 volts showing a charge in progress, yet you have cell OVP 3.6 ? Unless you corrected it before you posted, there’s something badly wrong. If you didn’t change anything I’d be concerned the you have a malfunctioning JK and I’d disconnect it till you got it figured out.

Something’s definitely out of wack. It shouldn’t be possible to have that screen shot on post 24 with the settings on post 27.
Cell #11 with 3.741 volts showing a charge in progress, yet you have cell OVP 3.6 ? Unless you corrected it before you posted, there’s something badly wrong. If you didn’t change anything I’d be concerned the you have a malfunctioning JK and I’d disconnect it till you got it figured out.

Nope I hadn't changed anything but the balancing down to 3.4volts.

When they were hooked up to the overkill BMS it also would say 3.7volt on some cells. Even though the cut off was 3.65.
I've always wondered if something was wrong with the cells. This isn't the only bank that would show weird volt readings like 3.7 when I had the overkills.
This is the first time I've seen it with the JK

Still, I’ve never seen a positive current with a cell past safety. Got nothin

Raise the calibrating voltage to 54.0v, and drop start balance voltage to 3.37v. What is you cell voltage differential setting? 0.005? Cell ovp is a puzzlement.

The calibrating voltage setting should correspond to the actual voltage. On some versions of JK’s it can only be set under charge conditions. If you need to adjust, it should be with very stable voltage conditions and an accurate volt meter.

Raise the calibrating voltage to 54.0v, and drop start balance voltage to 3.37v. What is you cell voltage differential setting? 0.005? Cell ovp is a puzzlement.
Perhaps you meant absorb or bulk voltage?

The calibrating voltage setting should correspond to the actual voltage. On some versions of JK’s it can only be set under charge conditions. If you need to adjust, it should be with very stable voltage conditions and an accurate volt meter.
Yes this ^^^^^
OP needs to do as @upnorthandpersonal noted,
then calibrate the voltage AND THE CURRENT - see the screen shot in Post #27.
Use a good multimeter to read the charging current and voltage, input these in that calibration set up. Without this step, the BMS doesn't know what is coming into the pack.

I’m kinda wondering if he does a factory reset then power down and restart? Entering the password and touching the green paper airplane “Lifepo4” button will reset to defaults so do a screenshot of all the settings you might want to replace. Then a bms power down. First thing I’d be checking is the accuracy of the voltage and current once it’s restarted.

I’m kinda wondering if he does a factory reset then power down and restart? Entering the password and touching the green paper airplane “Lifepo4” button will reset to defaults so do a screenshot of all the settings you might want to replace. Then a bms power down. First thing I’d be checking is the accuracy of the voltage and current once it’s restarted.

Ya I think if you hit the LiFe Po4 button it is a reset. I've done it several times when I was trying to set the parameters. Lol
Later I realized if you hit the button it resets it and that's the reason why my settings wouldn't take
I guess I can try and catch it again doing that. A lot of times when I get home to check it it's already at 100% and 0 amps going in.
I just so happened to be there at the moment it was hitting 3.7v

I have like 5 multimeters with 1 being a fluke. So I can always go by what they say.

Ya I think if you hit the LiFe Po4 button it is a reset. I've done it several times when I was trying to set the parameters. Lol
Later I realized if you hit the button it resets it and that's the reason why my settings wouldn't take
I guess I can try and catch it again doing that. A lot of times when I get home to check it it's already at 100% and 0 amps going in.
I just so happened to be there at the moment it was hitting 3.7v
Yeah, I think we’ve all done that since JK has such detailed documentation 🙄

Back