diy solar

diy solar

Should i Knock Down my neighbor's Panels?

mrdavvv

Solar Enthusiast
Hello Forum!

So recently my neighbor decided to put an elevated array of solar panels, our properties don't have any separation... so that ended up screwing our side.

1685993453432.png

Title of the post its a Joke, but i think its not cool, they could have put them at any other place, we didn't even notice until they were up. After all its their property, so they are entitled to put their panels wherever they please. Already talked to them, we were cordial until now... they are not open to move them again $$$

---

Anyways, ive read that shadows can end up damaging the panels, because some cells are producing at max power, meanwhile others are at almost 0%.

So its my setup at risk?

- The array its East to West orientation
- 11 x 450W Panels DAH Solar HCM72X9

1685994025061.png

• I have noticed around 10 - 15% reduction in production all around the year, so it doesn't seem to affect me that much.
  • But if the panels are in risk of being damaged, i could always move them a little bit higher in the roof, so the shadowing stops at around 10 - 11AM.

Im very thankful for all your recommendations. Greetings!

Rearrange your arrays to focus the reflection onto one of his support struts...

Something like that should have been discussed ahead of time.

In the hydro power world, there are "enchroachments", where the new dam has to compensate the old dam if they affect production (lake behind the new dam raises the level of output water of the hold dam, which reduces power production).

Depending on your location you might have recourse to local building laws. Many places do not allow putting structures up that negatively impact a neighbor.

The council would have that down fast in the UK....

Where are you located? Some states have solar access rights, where your access to the sun cannot be impeded.

The neighbor wouldn't see much production from them.
Just during the short time after they repair the wiring. And before I realized that it was repaired again.
Why damage the wiring... Just swap the arrays main connections...
If I had a neighbor like that I could see the brakes going out on a tractor with the bucket fully loaded, I'm sure the operator would jump off a few feet before impact...

Depending on your location you might have recourse to local building laws. Many places do not allow putting structures up that negatively impact a neighbor.
I would sue his ass…no one like going to court if they will look like a jerk to the judge or jury…this was an intentional act ..
as a last resort go out late at night and throw eggs op on his array … he will spend many hours trying to get his fried eggs off the glass… if he does clean it finally , throw some more…
what a jerk…

OP, I think you are missing the point. Its time to move. Do yourself a favor, get some land and distance from neighbors.
I love what city guys go through to live tightly packed together in clusters… … a country guy would solve that problem in the first day or so…
if ya don’t respond to lack of respect , you will get treated with more lack of respect..
I will let it go at that….good luck sir with the creepy neighbor..

If it was me I'd do my neighbor a favor and help increase the conductivity of every MC4 connector. Unplug them, add a few squirts of this then plug them back in should do just just the trick.

Heck if still had some left I might choose a few random connectors such as the ECM, ECU and PCU on thier vehicles as well.

What's $13 and few minutes when it comes to doing your neighbor a solid?

1686008608486.png

If it was me I'd do my neighbor a favor and help increase the conductivity of every MC4 connector. Unplug them, add a few squirts of this then plug them back in should do just just the trick.

Heck if still had some left I might choose a few random connectors such as the ECM, ECU and PCU on thier vehicles as well.

What's $13 and few minutes when it comes to doing your neighbor a solid?

View attachment 151830
Haaa that’s funny .. didn’t even know that existed…would that work on a noisy trucks spark plugs or coils.

Always worth checking with the local municipality if an electrical permit was pulled and approved.

... after checking first to make sure you yourself don't live in a glass house.

Neighbors up my canyon got in a p!%%!ng contest over shared use of a bridge, and one with a non-permit addition.

Put up a banner that casts a hard shadow on his panels?

1686010148201.png

1686010032452.png

Yes, it is a concern if one section of your panels gets a shadow while the rest is in direct sun. Diodes may overheat and burn panel, crack glass. Some brands say only meant to be activated when sun at an angle.

Uncool but it does look like you could slide your panels up the roof and minimize the shading.

True, higher up plus end of building ahead of neighbor's array can stay where it is.

The neighbor wouldn't see much production from them.
Just during the short time after they repair the wiring. And before I realized that it was repaired again.
Now that’s the right attitude……..yea…yea…

Back