diy solar

diy solar

Should I redo all my crimps with my new Temco hydraulic crimper?

corn18

Village Idiot
I drunk bought a Temco hydraulic crimper. I have used the Temco mechanical crimper, the one that uses a hammer that Will recommends. I have 4/0 cable and all seems well with the crimps. Is there a compelling reason to redo all the crimps with the Temco hydraulic crimper?

That's funny stuff. Bean Thar Dun Dat.? I can't think of a good reason to redo good crimps.

I have one of those laser thermometers, not letting you borrow it though. If you have one of them, you may find some terminals which are a bit warm. I'm impressed with what you say about the hammer crimper.

You should redo as many crimps as possible, if only to get your monies worth! Record it and... think of the YT ad dollars?

I drunk bought a Temco hydraulic crimper. I have used the Temco mechanical crimper, the one that uses a hammer that Will recommends. I have 4/0 cable and all seems well with the crimps. Is there a compelling reason to redo all the crimps with the Temco hydraulic crimper?
What model? Are you contemplating to re crimp the existing or cut the lugs and start with new?

Cut them all off and redo them. Let us know how it works out. If good, I might follow your lead. I'm on the same path (minus the alcohol)

A good crimp = high pullout force.
So how to find the min pullout force for your setup?

Connector makers know this stuff, if they will even talk to you.

Make it seem like you're a consultant & you are going to place a very large order and so you need to reduce your uncertainty because a lot of your money is riding on this.

Lying works & not everyone deserves the truth [except me & members of this forum]. :D :D

Learn to use a multi-meter to check voltage drop across each crimp and connection. Maybe you will find a few that are ok.

As a benchmark, the known good bolted neutral connection on our house's main panel reads 23 micro-ohms, so if your connection is passing 100A you should see 2.3 mV or less across it, if your DVM can read that low. With 200A you've got 4.6 mV.

You'll need a clampon ammeter.

A new tool and you're questioning whether you should use it? :ROFLMAO:

I can't stand the suspense, which one did you buy?

A- TH0005 V2.0 Hydraulic Cable Lug Crimper (11 US TON) 10 AWG to 600 MCM with 32 die sets (like me) TEMCo Direct: $152.95
OR
B- TH0006 V2.0 5 US TON 12 AWG to 00 (2/0) Electrical Terminal Cable Wire Tool Kit with 18 Die Sets TEMCo Direct: $130.45
OR
C- THE MONSTER Hydraulic Lug Crimping Tool 4 AWG to 750 MCM TEMCo Direct: $404.96

A

s-l1600.jpg

Dayyum! That's a lot of dies. I wish my set had the 10 and 8 awg dies. Mine only goes to 6 awg.

I was thinking that it wouldn't be that difficult for TEMCO to make a cutter die for cutting cable. My Klein 2/0 cutters require too much effort. I've been looking around for a better one, but I'm holding off for now.

Dayyum! That's a lot of dies. I wish my set had the 10 and 8 awg dies. Mine only goes to 6 awg.

I was thinking that it wouldn't be that difficult for TEMCO to make a cutter die for cutting cable. My Klein 2/0 cutters require too much effort. I've been looking around for a better one, but I'm holding off for now.
The big harbor freight cable cutters work for me.

TH0005 is what I use on the job. This is the same warranty I provide on my service and installation of HVAC. Unfortunately, too many companies lowered their standards of quality, skipped the QC insp and final packaging portion and now just throw a packing slip on the outside of the box and keep padding their salaries, pensions and vacation homes in the USA with the excess profits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 11
Back