diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Chargeverter Important Feature Request

Another feature suggestion: Instead of Amps, how about Watts?

Voltage increases as the battery charges. Hence the watts increase for the same output amps.

If I am connected to a generator that can output 2,800 watts continuously, I'd like the CV to take that many watts, and output as many amps as it can. While it may not make a huge difference to the Battery, 100 watts could be a 3% difference that can be material to the generator if you are running close to the limit over a long period of time (hours).

I'm always a bit leery about running a gen at it's max continuous rating for long periods of time.

So far, we've seen the following issues & feature requests for the Chargeverter:
1. Bracket holding the modules needs strengthening
2. Issue with display tilting (adhesive/heat issue)
3. Request for current ramping up to set value

Did I miss any? Would be great if they could address them all.

So far, we've seen the following issues & feature requests for the Chargeverter:

Automatic current reduction when voltage drops. (generator overload resulting in voltage drop).

1 amp per second?

If you added a soft start to your Chargeverter, 20 amps per second should be adequate. What I suspect is causing the poster's stalling problem is the lack of warmup period. I warmup my little Firman 5700W gennie for 60 seconds before flipping the switch on the Chargeverter. The Firman takes 90A suddenly without stalling. Great job, by the way on this Chargeverter. I never liked running dirty generator power into my home and now I don't have to.

I agree the mounting tabs are too small for direct mounting. I bolted them with No.8 (4mm) screws to two vertical DIN rail strips and used 1/4 concrete screws to attach to concrete block. Gives a 1/4 inch air gap between the chargeverter and the block. Direct mounting to block may embrittle the block because of heat generated.

I'd think you would also want a delay from Gen Start to Chargeverter load, then ramp the load over time.
Most generators need time at startup to stabilize and produce power that is clean and consistent. A delay of 60-120 seconds would help protect both the associated devices and the genset from potential damage while it comes up to speed and warms up.

Maybe that's already built in to the chargeverter, but if not, it would be a useful addition.

sounds like a generator start relay with BMS comms and the delay program, would be nice, could take some time to add. you guys are awesome. thanks for the ideas
Delay start added in the settings as an option for either on or off...could be helpful.

Last edited:
@SignatureSolarJames I wouldn't change a thing ... maybe do (2) separate models ... for most of us the original one is working fine .... you can add all the bells and whistles to the other improvement .... the issue is that right now you are at a good price point ... any day now one of your competitors will back engineer this --and drop the price ... You don't want to be adding stuff and INCREASING price for features that many of us don't need ... thus - make (2) models and charge accordingly

@SignatureSolarJames I wouldn't change a thing ... maybe do (2) separate models ... for most of us the original one is working fine .... you can add all the bells and whistles to the other improvement .... the issue is that right now you are at a good price point ... any day now one of your competitors will back engineer this --and drop the price ... You don't want to be adding stuff and INCREASING price for features that many of us don't need ... thus - make (2) models and charge accordingly
I have to disagree. Having something that tries to draw 5kW just hard start is bad, full stop. Now the cheaper route (less menu changes or whatever) would be setting a short ramp that no one is going to really notice but keeps you from having issues with generators (sort of the main *reason for being* for this item). If you have a big generator (8, 10, 15 kW etc) you're more likely going to be running it right into one of your AIO or inverter/charger. Also to the point of competition, don't bet on a competitor not capitalizing on easy ideas like a built in soft start, as theres not a whole lot price optimization left without taking a loss in quality.

Regarding Ramp: When I was testing the CV, I could change the Amp output setting without stopping it.

So, you can start at a low Amp setting, and increase it as slowly as you want. Works as-is for a "cheap" version, and add ramping for the "full feature" version.

One other feature request...please allow the screen to stay on. This isn't powered by a battery, so there is literally no need to turn the darn thing off so quickly.

One other feature request...please allow the screen to stay on. This isn't powered by a battery, so there is literally no need to turn the darn thing off so quickly.
Disagree and if AC is shut off the screen is powered by the battery.

@SignatureSolarJames I'm debating on grid backup system for a remote home where solar doesn't currently make sense (roof designed to hold snow, and snow load can exceed 10 feet packed), and have been thinking of using a Chargeverter in parallel with a MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-50 120V (UL), and a pair of EG4 batteries to power a critical loads panel (week long outages are very common). Having a ramp-on feature would be great - could combine it with a contactor and control whether or not the chargeverter is powered (there's an existing, oversized propane generator that we're trying to drastically reduce its usage for most outages, and the fast-charging LiFePo4 combined with just powering critical loads can mean 1 hour a day of use). Having the ability to communicate via RS485 or other technology would be even better, to be able to control amperage via programming, or disable the chargeverter entirely. Not sure if it'd be integratable with the EG4 LiFePOWER4 Communications Hub but that seems like the best option to be. Being able to have it show up in a CerboGX via the hub seems like it would be the creme de la creme.

@SignatureSolarJames I'm debating on grid backup system for a remote home where solar doesn't currently make sense (roof designed to hold snow, and snow load can exceed 10 feet packed), and have been thinking of using a Chargeverter in parallel with a MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-50 120V (UL), and a pair of EG4 batteries to power a critical loads panel (week long outages are very common). Having a ramp-on feature would be great - could combine it with a contactor and control whether or not the chargeverter is powered (there's an existing, oversized propane generator that we're trying to drastically reduce its usage for most outages, and the fast-charging LiFePo4 combined with just powering critical loads can mean 1 hour a day of use). Having the ability to communicate via RS485 or other technology would be even better, to be able to control amperage via programming, or disable the chargeverter entirely. Not sure if it'd be integratable with the EG4 LiFePOWER4 Communications Hub but that seems like the best option to be. Being able to have it show up in a CerboGX via the hub seems like it would be the creme de la creme.
You can very easily use a smartshunt as an energy meter to have it show up on the Cerbo

Strange. My Chargeveters ramp up the power, they don't just instantly go to 100 amps. Maybe the model I have has the requested feature of the OP. I use mine for a "zero transfer time" setup, where I am always on battery and the Chargeveter is started via the dry contacts mean for generator Start to a contactor from grid. When the inverter would typically switch back to grid power, instead it fires the contactor and starts my pair of Chargeveters

Strange. My Chargeveters ramp up the power, they don't just instantly go to 100 amps. Maybe the model I have has the requested feature of the OP. I use mine for a "zero transfer time" setup, where I am always on battery and the Chargeveter is started via the dry contacts mean for generator Start to a contactor from grid. When the inverter would typically switch back to grid power, instead it fires the contactor and starts my pair of Chargeveters
What voltage and amperage do you have your CV set at?

What voltage does the dry contact activate?

Back