diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 6.5K Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

Thanks, That seems like a lot but I'll get a meter and check mine.
Think the rule of thumb is 5x to7x running amps for inductive loads. My pump running after first 2 seconds is 5.8a or 1400w like clockwork. Starting inrush is always just over 37a so approx 9000 watts.

My neighbor bought a harbor freight ac/dc meter for $99 that measures ac inrush. It was not far off from my fluke, about .25 amp.

Would love to have someone prove that these inverters in split phase can start a deep well pump. Understand that my 9kw surge is under total capacity of 13kw but surge power overall is no joke.

Last edited:
@BenFromSignatureSolar

Do you know of any folks with EG4 inverters that are getting inspected and passing? I know it's different in each state and jurisdiction etc, but I would imagine ground fault and arc fault protection would be a requirement across the board. Since these don't have either, if people are passing, what 3rd party products are they using to meet those requirements?

I'll have to look into the state requirements on Monday. In most states there is no issue but there are a few that require additional components. California is one for sure but I can't remember the others off the top of my head.
The issues @EJansen have run into are pertaining to the Rapid Shutdown article of NEC. The EG4 inverter doesn't discharge its own PV capacitors in 10 seconds, as required by code. External DC contactors are required to disconnect the PV wires from the inverter at the inverter end, and then RSD Tigo/HRSD devices on the solar panels disconnect the wires at that end.
Any region on NEC 2017 - 2020 will have an issue passing RSD if they mount the panels on the roof.

In addition, NEC 2014 - 2020 requires ground fault and arc fault protection as well, which the EG4 doesn't have either. SolarBOS has very expensive combiner boxes that do this, but they won't sell directly to the general public.

These are things that are built-in to the Sol-Ark, which make it very expensive but code compliant.
It is one thing to comply with UL 1741, but it's another to comply with NEC. The inverter needs to do both!

The issues @EJansen have run into are pertaining to the Rapid Shutdown article of NEC. The EG4 inverter doesn't discharge its own PV capacitors in 10 seconds, as required by code. External DC contactors are required to disconnect the PV wires from the inverter at the inverter end, and then RSD Tigo/HRSD devices on the solar panels disconnect the wires at that end.
Any region on NEC 2017 - 2020 will have an issue passing RSD if they mount the panels on the roof.

In addition, NEC 2014 - 2020 requires ground fault and arc fault protection as well, which the EG4 doesn't have either. SolarBOS has very expensive combiner boxes that do this, but they won't sell directly to the general public.

These are things that are built-in to the Sol-Ark, which make it very expensive but code compliant.
It is one thing to comply with UL 1741, but it's another to comply with NEC. The inverter needs to do both!
Well said, thanks @ncsolarelectric !

I guess, I'm more commenting on the fact that even in SBU mode and powering all loads off Solar or Batteries, there there is still some consumption off the grid connection. My understanding is that this is likely to keep the AC output of the inverters in sync with the available grid source frequency so that the system can transfer to Grid with a minimal transfer time.

I am currious: Do you know why EG4 chose to go with a non-standard pinout for the cable?
it is because the connection is between RS232 and RS465 - if you look at the pin explanations, it matches - if you use a straight through ethernet cable, they are not going to meet as needed.

Question about your well pump, what is the "starting" power requirement?
It is pulling 240vac and inrush measured with an amp clamp was 3200 but settles down to a little less than 2700 after it starts. It is a submersible that has a starting capacitor built into the control box. It acts as a soft start I’m assuming

Back