diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 6.5K Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

Also, I'm sure a number of other folks are setting their new 6500 inverters and battery banks up - curious if anyone else see's what I'm seeing?

Regarding inverter back feed, apparently, I'm not the only one - I'm assuming all of the Voltronic inverters are doing it. This guy has 6 of them, all of which back feed.

In watching some of the videos after that, it looks like he contacted the vendor, and they sent him some sort of capacitor to stop the back-feeding. That doesn't make any sense to me though, but I'm also not an electrical engineer. I figured it would be a diode of some sort and not a capacitor - something like this guy:

1660229976189.png

@RichardFromEG4 - What solution have you guys been providing customers to solve this?

Regarding inverter back feed, apparently, I'm not the only one - I'm assuming all of the Voltronic inverters are doing it. This guy has 6 of them, all of which back feed.

Going thru many of his videos, he had multiple main board failures, replaced at least 3.

I looked around his videos for any indication of a wiring diagram. Just looking at a few videos, the setup and installation, I'm not certain this was a quality installation and the problems are possibly related to the installation. I see wires in some videos pulled banjo string tight. I would be skeptical of anything in those videos.

Going thru many of his videos, he had multiple main board failures, replaced at least 3.

I looked around his videos for any indication of a wiring diagram. Just looking at a few videos, the setup and installation, I'm not certain this was a quality installation and the problems are possibly related to the installation. I see wires in some videos pulled banjo string tight. I would be skeptical of anything in those videos.

Yeah, it isn't the prettiest setup, but he showed with a meter that voltage was back feeding on all of the (functioning) inverters. Still don't understand what the capacitor was supposed to do / why they sent that to him to install.

I'm sure @RichardFromEG4 and the guys at Signature Solar have a ton of them sitting around in their lab and they could test this pretty easily.

Last edited:
Yeah, it wasn't the prettiest setup, but he showed with a meter that voltage was back feeding on all of the (functioning) inverters. Still don't understand what the capacitor was supposed to do / why they sent that to him to install.
Without knowing how it is wired, one can't determine anything. He could have a parallel path created and thus why the voltage is seen backfeeding the PV open circuit. One can't make any determination without knowing the details of the install. Just ran across this post in another thread. From what I gather from the response by Northern AZ Wind and Solar, improper wiring can damage the high voltage bus.

Without knowing how it is wired, one can't determine anything. He could have a parallel path created and thus why the voltage is seen backfeeding the PV open circuit. One can't make any determination without knowing the details of the install. Just ran across this post in another thread. From what I gather from the response by Northern AZ Wind and Solar, improper wiring can damage the high voltage bus.

Fair enough - I'll see if I can get him to reply and post a wiring diagram.

Though even better would be a lab-controlled setup via the engineers @ EG4.

I am having chronic error 61 beeps. Today the EG6500 stopped working. I am on hold with SigSolar for 30 minutes now.
This worked for over a month with just annoying beeps but now the inverter just shuts off after 10 minutes.
I have the cable and connectors that were supposed to fix error 61 ...but they don't seem to.
I have the full 30kwh battery rack which seems to work but the inverters do not seem to have all the kinks worked out yet.

I am having chronic error 61 beeps. Today the EG6500 stopped working. I am on hold with SigSolar for 30 minutes now.
This worked for over a month with just annoying beeps but now the inverter just shuts off after 10 minutes.
I have the cable and connectors that were supposed to fix error 61 ...but they don't seem to.
I have the full 30kwh battery rack which seems to work but the inverters do not seem to have all the kinks worked out yet.
The first thing that I would do is remove the cables and change the setting from EG4 to User - see if you can make it so the inverter stops shutting down.

So I ran for over a week and a half with no problems. The app was awesome able to Monitor and adjust as I went. Surprisingly powered everything needed without an issue. The system is now sized perfectly to where I have not needed to hook up grid assist. So happy and then this.
Fast forward to last Wednesday. 2 eg4 6.5 + 6 eg4 . All of the batteries Show fault mode. I shut the system down. The battery Bank starts back up no problem without the breaker between inverter and Battery Bank on. So I know that the battery Bank to the bus bar wiring it's perfect. I then shut off the batteries I turn the breakers on going to the inverters then turn on battery Bank instantly puts my batteries in Fault mode. I shut batteries off turn on PV power only I am getting fault f09.
Now I am unable get 2p1 to turn on at all and 2p2 turns on but does not work. I spoke to Signature solar and sent photos over on Thursday. I called them Friday I was told they were going to call me. Unfortunately I guess they got busy because I did not get a return call.
Everything has been working so good I do not know what is going on. The only thing I could think of is the USE setting recommendations provided in the Quick Start had something to do with it. But I'm just shooting in the dark.
@Shannonsman229 I'm having the same issue on my LV6548's, did you ever figure out what caused this issue and what you had to do to fix it. You can see my post on this if you search F09. Thanks!

@Shannonsman229 I'm having the same issue on my LV6548's, did you ever figure out what caused this issue and what you had to do to fix it. You can see my post on this if you search F09. Thanks!
F09 is normally going to be a blown rectifier board. The board will need to be replaced. In shannonsman229's unit we had to replace the unit because we didn't have any boards available at the time.

F09 is normally going to be a blown rectifier board. The board will need to be replaced. In shannonsman229's unit we had to replace the unit because we didn't have any boards available at the time.
What is the running theory on the source of the issue with the rectifier board? Individual component failure or external issue that caused the component failure? @BenFromSignatureSolar would you say that running 2xEG4 6500's with only 4xLifePower4s is sufficient?

As far as capacity goes that is absolutely sufficient. Can you tell me how long the unit was running before you got the 09 error?

Unfortunately it is a bit tricky. Issues can range from too much PV voltage, wiring issues (typically on the ac side), tightening wires with an uninsulated screwdriver and causing a short, and the list goes on. It can happen quickly and it doesnt take much to accidentally cause this. I've seen it be a faulty board maybe once or twice, but if that's the case you'll get the error right out of the box and the inverter will never run. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here DanielS. It would be a good idea to give your wiring a complete once over to make sure there is nothing there. I always hate to see it happen because it doesn't take much.

As far as capacity goes that is absolutely sufficient. Can you tell me how long the unit was running before you got the 09 error?

Unfortunately it is a bit tricky. Issues can range from too much PV voltage, wiring issues (typically on the ac side), tightening wires with an uninsulated screwdriver and causing a short, and the list goes on. It can happen quickly and it doesnt take much to accidentally cause this. I've seen it be a faulty board maybe once or twice, but if that's the case you'll get the error right out of the box and the inverter will never run. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here DanielS. It would be a good idea to give your wiring a complete once over to make sure there is nothing there. I always hate to see it happen because it doesn't take much.
System has been up and running since end of June, so a month and a half or so. I wasn't doing anything around the system at all. I've inspected all wiring and haven't noticed any deficient connections. No breakers tripped. All four LiFePower4's went into alarm, but cleared when isolated. I guess I need to investigate more. I don't want to put these back into service if I can't trust them.

System has been up and running since end of June, so a month and a half or so. I wasn't doing anything around the system at all. I've inspected all wiring and haven't noticed any deficient connections. No breakers tripped. All four LiFePower4's went into alarm, but cleared when isolated. I guess I need to investigate more. I don't want to put these back into service if I can't trust them.
Very unlikely that the batteries caused the 09 error but can't rule it out completely, I've just never seen an 09 be a battery issue. But hey, we see new things pop up from time to time. We would need to know the voltages and amperages coming into the unit at all inputs to start trouble shooting. Normally 09 is A/C related.

Do you have breakers between the batteries and inverter? If you do then you can all but rule out the batteries in this case. The batteries went into alarm because they are seeing the short in the inverter. That's why they cleared when you isolated them. At this point I would be more worried about the inverter damaging the batteries.

Are you using the EG4 6.5kW inverter? If so, you need to reach out to us so we can get rolling on replacing that unit for you. If this is the first time anything like this has happened we'll take care of this at no cost to you. We will just need to try and get to the bottom of the issue.

Very unlikely that the batteries caused the 09 error but can't rule it out completely, I've just never seen an 09 be a battery issue. But hey, we see new things pop up from time to time. We would need to know the voltages and amperages coming into the unit at all inputs to start trouble shooting. Normally 09 is A/C related.

Do you have breakers between the batteries and inverter? If you do then you can all but rule out the batteries in this case. The batteries went into alarm because they are seeing the short in the inverter. That's why they cleared when you isolated them. At this point I would be more worried about the inverter damaging the batteries.

Are you using the EG4 6.5kW inverter? If so, you need to reach out to us so we can get rolling on replacing that unit for you. If this is the first time anything like this has happened we'll take care of this at no cost to you. We will just need to try and get to the bottom of the issue.
No I've got the LV6548's. Ordered them 1 month before you guys started selling the 6500s. I just know those devices are very similar in construction and I've been reaching out to folks with this error to help figure out the root cause might be.

Yeah each inverter has a separate 300A Class T fuse and then a single 200A bussman breaker between the distribution bus and the battery lead.

Each inverter has a 60A AC breaker on the Input and Output. All AC wiring is #4. Input Ground and Neutral wires are all run back to grid supply panel. Output Neutral is connected to downstream panel, however, no Output grounds are connected since Input grounds are tied to Grid supply panel and that panel is grounded to the downstream panel. This was to avoid ground loops.

Could this have anything to do with removing the ground screws inside the inverters I see some recommendations for this and MPP ok's it, Just curious?

@BenFromSignatureSolar do you happen to know the default password to very the "HistoriclData" of the EG4 Lifepower4s using the BMS_Test software?

Back