diy solar

diy solar

Silicate salt batteries: what's the consensus on these a few years in now?

ikidd

I've gone through the few threads on these batteries I'm looking at via Watts247. On the face of it, it would seem to be the best solution for a long-term, buy once-cry once battery for use on cow watering system in N. Alberta.

We will often leave our pumping systems out into the fall when we can still pump through the ice, usually until December. Lead-acid works, though very poorly of course, with limited cycle lifespan and poor discharge ability. I'm thoroughly done with LA as we've gone through thousands of dollars of GC2 batteries as they've been over-discharged attempting to keep cows watered.

These silicate batteries would seem to combine the advantages of LFP and lead-acid, but there has to be a downside besides weight that I'm not seeing, or would imagine I'd have heard of them before. Warranty seems shorter than batteries like the EG4 LL or SOK at the same price point, but they don't have the cold weather ability unless I rig some heating which would reduce my available payload kWh significantly. These silicate batteries don't seem to lose much capacity at the lower temperatures, and as far as I can see, can still be charged via a LA profile when below freezing.

Thoughts?

Yah, I went through that one, it wasn't really giving me any further info and then the user went on to buy AGMs. Trying to see what the downsides are, if anything maybe the capacity dropoff at relatively low C rates but I'm not sure that would affect me much since I"m using it in low duty cycle, at about .1C

I've been using some of these for the past 2 years in my RV. I have 4 that are wired for 24v. The only downsides I've run across is that they are heavy and they do sag voltage under load like a lead acid battery. It hasn't been an issue for me though since I step the 24v down to 12v to run the DC side of the RV. I've run them all the way down to about 5-10% several times and they have always bounced right back when charging. Other than weight and cost, I have no complaints.

Back