diy solar

diy solar

Simple wiring diagram for work/camper van

klempak

Can you please check my wiring diagram? I am using this van mostly for work however during summer I do occasional fishing trip.

My usage is modest. I have tried Ecoflow Delta (1kwh) this summer and with my 355W solar panel never dropped below 65% and by 11am I was back to 100%, therefore I am expecting that 200ah or 280ah will be more than enough to keep me going even if I go for longer trips.

My main goal is to remove battery every time I get back home from my trip so I can use van for work. I would probably use Anderson connector to easily connect the battery. All Victron stuff will be kept in the van permanently. I do not expect to use inverter (at least for now) and I do not feel I need to install Orion DC to DC charger as my solar panel should keep my battery charged. However I would like to use battery charger in case of emergency.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• electrical wiring diagram.jpg
    electrical wiring diagram.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 81
Where are you based?

A 200-280Ah battery should be at least a couple of days cover on the loads you’ve currently got listed

I used the victron Lynx power In converted to a non smart distributor (explorist life has a good video). It will save you some bucks

If you are going to move your battery around a lot I’d suggest it’s in a good case. My 200Ah battery isn’t lead acid heavy but it’s also not lightweight at 20kg

Make sure you have a good reliable & solid way of strapping it down. Movement puts a lot of stress on the terminals.

I created this spreadsheet to help me calculate loads etc. you might find it useful for helping with fusing and wire sizing

This is my system, pretty similar in size to yours

06B508A3-D2BB-4153-A895-FE475927C352.jpeg

I went with a prebuilt 200Ah battery. They have got cheap enough now that it doesn’t make much sense of the time & risk cost of a diy build.

1670644450095.png

Can you please check my wiring diagram? I am using this van mostly for work however during summer I do occasional fishing trip.

My usage is modest. I have tried Ecoflow Delta (1kwh) this summer and with my 355W solar panel never dropped below 65% and by 11am I was back to 100%, therefore I am expecting that 200ah or 280ah will be more than enough to keep me going even if I go for longer trips.

My main goal is to remove battery every time I get back home from my trip so I can use van for work. I would probably use Anderson connector to easily connect the battery. All Victron stuff will be kept in the van permanently. I do not expect to use inverter (at least for now) and I do not feel I need to install Orion DC to DC charger as my solar panel should keep my battery charged. However I would like to use battery charger in case of emergency.

Thank you for your help.
No inverter?

The largest load is less than 100 amps to the dc fuse block.
Suggest you put a victron battery protect on the dc distribution circuit.
That will give low voltage and administrative disconnect.

You won't need a disconnect for the battery circuit because ever other circuit will have a means of disconnect.
4/0 is extreme overkill for the battery circuit
4 awg with a 150 amp mrbf fuse will be plenty

Very stange to have 8 awg out to the panel.
The panel wires are probably 10 awg

If you do a diy battery with a smart bms you don't need a shunt.

I am in US. I actually purchased Victron Power In but did not want to create confusion for others in my wiring diagram.
Explorist life has some good video about how to add fuses to the lynx power-in.

My first van build had very similar loads and did great on 100ah for Spring/Summer/Fall. The only time I felt I needed more was when it was below freezing and I was running my heater, the solar input was low as was my battery capacity. More insulation would have gone a long ways also.

Like @ianganderton, I crunched the numbers and a cheap 200ah prebuilt battery made more sense than DIY. I got a 200ah Ampretime for $585.
Just Eve 280ah cells were going to cost almost that much. I sacrificed some capacity and will deal with the lack of no low temp charge cutoff.

You designed a simple system and I think it will work great. Easy enough to add a DC-DC charger in the future if you feel the need.

My first van build had very similar loads and did great on 100ah for Spring/Summer/Fall. The only time I felt I needed more was when it was below freezing and I was running my heater, the solar input was low as was my battery capacity. More insulation would have gone a long ways also.

Like @ianganderton, I crunched the numbers and a cheap 200ah prebuilt battery made more sense than DIY. I got a 200ah Ampretime for $585.
Just Eve 280ah cells were going to cost almost that much. I sacrificed some capacity and will deal with the lack of no low temp charge cutoff.

You designed a simple system and I think it will work great. Easy enough to add a DC-DC charger in the future if you feel the need.
Thank you for your feedback! My goal is to have simple system however with easy upgrades thats why I am gong with lynx distributor (converted lynx power-in) . I am leaning towards prebuild battery as well. The main reason why I was considering the DIY battery was the form factor, it would be more less the same size as SOK 200ah.
I am hoping if someone can double check my wire sizes and fuse sizes, as I am not 100% sure. Also would there be any benefit to add another blue sea 6006 switch between the Smart charger and Lynx distributor?

I dont think an additional switch would be necessary, the charger would only be active while plugged into shore power. Easy enough to unplug the charger if necesary.

I created this spreadsheet to help me calculate loads etc. you might find it useful for helping with fusing and wire sizing

Great spreadsheet! I'll be using it to calculate my system usage.

Thanks for sharing it.

Back