diy solar

diy solar

Sinclair Sky Rack ground mount

I'm some jurisdictions they want a ground rod at the array. It still needs an EGC that goes back to the house for ground fault protection though.
Do I just run a 6 awg copper wire from my solar array grounding rod back to grounding rod I use for my main panel?

Do I just run a 6 awg copper wire from my solar array grounding rod back to grounding rod I use for my main panel?
Likely not. Are your solar DC wires in conduit back to the inverter? What size are they? There is a chart in the code, it related the wire size of the +/- wires and the max current to the required ground wire size. For example, my array wiring back to the inverter is 8ga, and the required ground size is 10ga.

The 6ga (usually bare) is only required by code for “unprotected” ground wires that are exposed, such as those from panel to panel and bonded to the mount. Once you leave the unprotected open air and go into a junction box and then into conduit, you can transition to the smaller jacketed wire.

Likely not. Are your solar DC wires in conduit back to the inverter? What size are they? There is a chart in the code, it related the wire size of the +/- wires and the max current to the required ground wire size. For example, my array wiring back to the inverter is 8ga, and the required ground size is 10ga.

The 6ga (usually bare) is only required by code for “unprotected” ground wires that are exposed, such as those from panel to panel and bonded to the mount. Once you leave the unprotected open air and go into a junction box and then into conduit, you can transition to the smaller jacketed wire.
The plan is to put 16 - 10 gauge wires in 2” conduit. I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m completely off grid and as soon as I got power, things other than conduit took priority.

Back