diy solar

diy solar

Slowing charging at low temps

FyKnight

I'm building my own off-grid LiFePO4 pack (finally) and wondering what the options are for following the specs about max charging rate at lower temperatures.
The planned pack is 280 Ah cells in 16s, so ~13 kWh. And I have ~12 kWp of PV input (cheap second-hand panels).. trying to get enough energy even on low illumination days, which we're having a lot of recently in NSW, Australia.

The data sheet for the EVE cells linked by the vendor I'm looking at (File no LF280-73103) has a table of allowable charging rates vs temperature and SoC. I'm not worried about cutting off charging at 0°C because it doesn't get that cold, but it does get under 10°C a lot. On a cold sunny morning, when the sun gets over the hill and hits the panels, they might be producing near their peak. But that's like 1C which the cells can't take until over 10°C... according to the cell specs I should only charge at 0.2C at that temperature... unless it's a pulse less than 30 seconds, when 1C is okay as long as SoC is under 70%.

Reading a lot on these forums it seems most people manage this by having enough battery capacity to never worry about getting over 0.2C, let alone 1C. My budget doesn't stretch that far (it'd be great if it did!)

Is there a BMS that can do this? It doesn't seem impossible to me to make a BMS that could act like a PWM charger to limit the charge current into the battery (though it might play havoc with the SCC's algorithm). However it seems the consensus on these forums is that BMSes are only there like insurance is there — important to have, but intended to never be used.

So should I be looking for an SCC that can do this? An external temperature sensor doesn't seem like a big ask. However the extra problem here is I have 3 arrays of different panels, pointed in different directions, so I'll need 3 SCCs (or a single one with 3 MPPT inputs if that exists). How would the multiple SCCs know how much current the others are producing to avoid going over the total? And they certainly won't have an accurate idea of the SoC.

Any ideas would be most welcome, thank you.

10c (50f) temp is not cold for charging. Don't get confused with outside ambient temps with what the cells actual temps will be unless your leaving them sit outside exposed to the weather elements. ;)

I should have been clearer sorry, yes, I'm talking about the battery cell internal temps. According to the cell specs 0 to 10°C is only fine for charging at 0.2C, but not 1C like my system could. It's only a shed so it and everything inside including the battery will definitely reach this temperature in winter.. weeks of daily tops around 7°C

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 12.08.08 pm.png

... or has experience borne out that it isn't necessary to wory about this part of the spec?

Right... ideas are thin on the ground then... so I'll note what I'm going to do in case someone else finds this thread later.

There probably is some combination of advanced BMS and SCC that talk to each other that would work to slow charging at low temps, and I could probably make it work with multiple SCCs — with a custom device in there to daisy-chain the comms bus if nothing off-the-shelf can do it. I see references to REC BMSes and Victron DVCC elsewhere on the forums, but I don't know enough about them myself to determine their feasibility in this situation.

Rather than that though I'm just going to insulate the battery box really well and put a little heating pad in there on a thermostat to keep it always around 15°C.

I considered letting it cool overnight and only heat in the morning from solar power before allowing the SCC to charge the battery. However, it could take a long time for the whole battery to reach the desired temperature... given the cells are reckoned to have a similar specific heat capacity to water, but without convection — think about the thermocline even in hot water tanks! And that would be more complex => more expensive and more llikely to fail. Plus there's a decent chance I'll miss more energy while I wait for it to heat up than I'd waste keeping it at temperature overnight.

I'll put the heater via the BMS and get the heavy loads (inverter) to turn off well before the BMS would (well, as far as I can with LiFePO4 based on voltage...). That should leave enough charge for the battery to keep itself warm for a whole winter night. (I'll ensure the loss through insulation is low enough for this situation). And if all the SCCs die then eventually the BMS will disconnect the heater and not ruin the batteries. (But still ruin my day when I turn up to no power haha)

There have been many folks that have built enclosed boxes with heating pads with a thermostat to turn on and off when needed. Go to the "Harsh Environment" section of the forum to get ideas.

I went without a heating pad but added insulation and have a small heater that can be added or move to a warmer area. ;)

@HRTKD has done this, he's in Denver, CO which can get some long cold winters ? and it seems to be working nicely for him keeping the batteries above the freezing temps.

Back