diy solar

diy solar

Small Coffee Shop Solar Panels

Ochard

I have been researching about Solar Panels for a long time, and it had occurred to me recently as my coffee shop experience short power cuts around 20 mins, 30 mins or 1 hour. Which has bothered me and I thought how a solar system could supplement this. My coffee shop is quite small, we have like 10 small ceiling LED lights, a 1HP inverter Aircon Panasonic, a Nouva Simonelle Appai II Compact, Grinder and a small Ice Cream fridge that says 1.1kwh/24 hours. Curious how I can set this up for under $1,000. I saw the billed we have and we consume 5kw per day (8-10hours) and minimum of 0.5kw per hour. So I was thinking a hybrid or on-grid with a 0.5kw or 1 kw battery to operate our appliances for 1 hours but usually it gets power cut during summer time, so, still plenty of sunlight, possibly a 0.5kw battery is good enough.

No. 1000$ will power some lights and maybe a TV. You are not going to run a 1HP aircon or an icecream freezer on that. And a 0.5kWh battery is minuscule.

With 500W loads, I'd say a 24V system with at least 1000W of solar, though I'd start at 1500W A battery in the 200Ah range, which would be about 10X the size of what you suggest.

Put together something with at least 4-6 250-400W solar panels, a 200Ah 24V battery, a 200V MPPT charge controller, and maybe a 2000-3000W sine-wave inverter. That would run you about 2500-3000USD.

That would be enough to take you off-grid.

Getting a full day off grid for $1000? Not likely. Getting a couple hours out of batteries until the power comes back on? Possible, but you're going to have to be VERY frugal. Used solar panels, maybe used inverter, definately an AIO that will take power from the grid and switch over when it goes down, a DIY or flooded lead acid battery maybe. Every penny is going to count. You'll probably be limited to a 24v system because that's going to cut your battery cost in half.

Basically, you need an overglorified UPS. What you'll need to do next is a power audit and calculate for 2 hours of run time for not only total draw but maximum draw assuming worst case scenario of everything starting up at once.

If I were to try a project like this, I'd go with as many used panels as you can fit, an AIO with just enough output to feed everything at once, WallyWorld DC29 batteries, and set your unit up as a UPS.

Can be done, gonna be a challenge, but a 2hr UPS is do-able.

Last edited:
Note location is Cambodia.
I’m not so sure how plentiful used panels and all these other items mentioned are there.

... my coffee shop experience short power cuts around 20 mins, 30 mins or 1 hour. ...how I can set this up for under $1,000?
Old post, sorry I didn't see it back in Feb. But... solar is attractive and can reduce your power bill. I definitely recommend it.

Goal
But, it sounds like your actual goal is to keep the lights on when the grid goes off, and that can be done for under $1000 with either a battery or generator backup. So, I suggest ignoring solar panels for your goal. Instead, ask how much can be backed up for about $1000? Let's see...

Power Budget
The first thing to understand is your actual power needs. You have a good start in knowing your coffee shop consumes 5 kWh/d and the list of devices:

ItemquantityWattsTotal wattsTotal kWh (to cover 60 min outage)
Small ceiling LED light1010100100
Nouva Simonelle Appai II Compact1300030003000
1HP inverter Aircon Panasonic1250025002500
Grinder1300300300
small Ice Cream fridge1464646
That's a maximum. Truth is things like the fridge and air conditioner come on and off, that is, they're not always running. Ultimately, it's up to you as to what the absolute minimums are when the grid goes out. With the heat you've been having, perhaps keeping the AC on brings a lot of customer loyalty...but, even though it's a minisplit, it's probably going to need a 4 kW surge capable inverter and in an hour outage might run for 30 minutes (1500 wH), which is going to require a larger battery.

Options
The total is about 6 kWh, but for an hour-long outage, what devices do you really need to run and for hour long? For a gasoline generator size, you need the total watts for normal draw plus any startup surges that can occur simultaneously. You might be able to get away with a 5 kW generator, but even 10 kW generators can be found for under $1k. But, gasoline generators are noisy and need fuel. If you have natural gas or propane available, you can do away with the inconvenience of storing and transporting gasoline. Unfortunately, it would have to be run outside making it a target for thieves (possibly it could be installed on the roof?).

So what about a battery? For under $1k you'll need to make some tough decisions. For example, could you get a small battery grinder for beans? Will the freezer stay frozen for that hour? If so, you don't need to power them, you can let them ride through the outage.

How many battery W & Wh for $1k?
You can probably get an inverter, battery, and charger piecemeal and put them together for a better price than a solar generator and Will's links at the top of the page will show you how to do that. But, working backward from a budget of $1000, a RockPal solar generator is about that price and provides 1300W and 1254 Wh (if for simplicity you do decide to go for a solar generator be sure to pick one that works with the voltage/phase of your country). Others on the thread can probably give you better ideas as to devices and costs, I just tossed out the first thing I saw.

How to Wire it
In terms of wiring, you'd plug your system into the grid, then plug the devices to be backed up into your system. Devices without plugs (e.g., Ceiling lights) and wall outlets can be setup by installing at your breaker panel with either a transfer switch or inexpensively with appropriate 3-way switches.

Ask if you have more questions.

Last edited:
Is it time to get a new Car?
If so, can you get one of those cheap EVs from BYD or possibly something safer? The reason being EVs have big battery packs, which can not only get you around town, but also provide plenty of emergency backup for your coffee shop when you need it. It's something you'd need to research to make sure the vehicle is supported, but might let you kill two problems with one battery.

Back