diy solar

diy solar

small on demand electric water heating

e67

Anyone have experience with the small electric on demand units available ,both 120v and 240v. Something an xp 6000 could handle easily.....You might have seen more of them in Central America etc. They don't provide very hot water but usable very warm water if you use in pulses, shutting off the flow in between.
What do you think of them and what models are worth trying? In the 150-200$ range I would think, might be off on that.....Or is Rheem or others making something now that might work for me
in this general area? I might pair it with an on demand propane in front of it so when propane was available it could preheat....propane and other things could be surprisingly hard to get in 2025-2030 time frame..for several reasons not worth going into..

What flow rate, and how long, are you looking for?
Other than a cup of hot water for coffee/tea, I don't recommend instant hot water heaters for inverters. Shower size can take 50 amps, which is too much for a 6000xp.

Yes, the Bosch have been around for many years now and work well. I've had a 2.5 and a 4 gallon. Be sure to check the anode every year until you know how fast they are consumed.

What flow rate, and how long, are you looking for?
Other than a cup of hot water for coffee/tea, I don't recommend instant hot water heaters for inverters. Shower size can take 50 amps, which is too much for a 6000xp.

We've had two of these Bosch under sink heaters for instant handwashing water in the bathroom. They're absolute garbage, rusting out in an astonishingly short period of time. The second one was spewing rusty water before we even got to the first yearly anode change. Temperature control is spotty at best. sometimes you get lukewarm water and sometimes you get scalding. If you get one, consider them a disposable item requiring frequent replacement, and unplug them and turn off the water supply before heading out on any trips.

We stepped up to an AO Smith 120v 12 gallon water heater. Ridiculous overkill for what we need, but it's built exactly like a normal water heater, just smaller. Too early to tell about longevity, but so far so good. The anode rod is easily accessible from the top of the unit and doesn't require disassembly like the Bosch heaters do, and already had anti-seize on it from the factory. Quality wise, lightyears ahead of the Bosch junk.

I see that Rheem has a 10 with a 2000 watt ,120v for about 360$.The AO Smith uses a 1600 watt which is good too..for the same price..
I would tend to go with the Rheem ..but..?

Anyone have experience with the small electric on demand units available ,both 120v and 240v. Something an xp 6000 could handle easily.....You might have seen more of them in Central America etc. They don't provide very hot water but usable very warm water if you use in pulses, shutting off the flow in between.
What do you think of them and what models are worth trying? In the 150-200$ range I would think, might be off on that.....Or is Rheem or others making something now that might work for me
in this general area? I might pair it with an on demand propane in front of it so when propane was available it could preheat....propane and other things could be surprisingly hard to get in 2025-2030 time frame. For several reasons not worth going into.
a friend looked to replace the tank electric with a electric one which would be close to the laundry, kitchen and one bath the problem with that type is they needed heavy high amp service line than the tank needed. now i seen some on amazon aimed to like rv or van and powered room .but looking at the specs and the numbers on the 120 v and amp requirements looked way off for a plug in they were cheap but just diden look like the power could warm the water and possibly draw too much power from a bathroom plug some homes still have 15amp 14 ga wire
others 12 ga but still may have 15 amp breaker or have other things on line. this is why propane or nat gas is prefered for instant water heaters

When I installed my bathroom water heater, the wiring in my house was SKETCHY at best. I bypassed all that and installed a dedicated circuit for the water heater with a 20a breaker and 10awg wire.

Looked at circulation pumps as well, to keep hot water circulated from the main water heater to the distant bathroom. Didn't do that, hated the idea of intentionally installing a cooling loop in my water heater.

Never put a Kill-a-Watt meter on the bathroom tank water heater, but didn't notice a difference in the power bill. It's inline with the main water heater and once the cool water in the line connecting the two is pushed through, it's getting fed preheated water. All the bathroom water heater is doing is heating the water in the line between the main water heater and bathroom water heater, and then maintaining that hot water. When the house is quiet I can hear the thermostat kick on and off, it's never on for more than a couple minutes at a time.

On Demand Heaters are great BUT you have to locate it close to where you use the water. IE in between Bathroom & Kitchen for example so the plumbing doesn't run long. I have two On-Demand systems in place, an Eco-Temp for my Hot Water and a Takagi unit for my radiant floor (separate system with Clycol).

I would also point out that there are now several Water Heaters using Heat Pumps out there now, available from 30Gal on up. Most run off 120VAC and are surprisingly low energy. Basically use the same space as a regular tank heater. NOTE These Qualify for Rebates & Incentives current available in most places.

We use a small 2.5 gallon (or so) under-sink water heater in a guest house bathroom far from the rest of the faucets and the main water heater, for hand washing. No real complaints unless you have an idiot using them. We had a guest a couple of years ago (boyfriend of the "real" guest) who told us the hot water heater was bad. Turns out he was shaving in that bathroom, and his routine was to turn on the hot water and just let it run, and run, and run. Thankfully the "real" guest dumped him before the next visit. I'd buy another one for the right need. Bosch was fine.

diy solar

diy solar
Back