diy solar

diy solar

Small system

Solar-Myk3

I am currently planning my whole home system, but since I have yet to do anything with solar I figure it might be beneficial to maybe build a small system on my shop to cover the small amount of usage there is now.. The system I am planning for my home is sol-ark 15k+ egr4 batteries. The system for the shop doesn't need anything near that size.. Any recommendations for small system with the possibility of adding batteries at a later date, I don't have a ton hooked up to the shop currently, I only wired my lights and a 50A plug for my camper (the camper is only 30A, but planned for future just in case). I just want to get my feet wet before going all in 35K+ on the whole home system..

In case anyone was wondering.. I do have two meters on my property, one for the house and one for the shop but the utility does not offer aggregate metering.. This is the current usage for the shop, as you can see the higher the usage is in the summer when the AC on the camper is running. I do not want to backup the camper AC with the solar, just net zero the bill. thoughts? My highest bill was only $103 last September... Is it even worth it to build a small enphase, solaredge, or other micro inverter system? Is a small string inverter system better?

1686855236957.png

I am currently planning my whole home system, but since I have yet to do anything with solar I figure it might be beneficial to maybe build a small system on my shop to cover the small amount of usage there is now.. The system I am planning for my home is sol-ark 15k+ egr4 batteries. The system for the shop doesn't need anything near that size.. Any recommendations for small system with the possibility of adding batteries at a later date, I don't have a ton hooked up to the shop currently, I only wired my lights and a 50A plug for my camper (the camper is only 30A, but planned for future just in case). I just want to get my feet wet before going all in 35K+ on the whole home system..

In case anyone was wondering.. I do have two meters on my property, one for the house and one for the shop but the utility does not offer aggregate metering.. This is the current usage for the shop, as you can see the higher the usage is in the summer when the AC on the camper is running. I do not want to backup the camper AC with the solar, just net zero the bill. thoughts? My highest bill was only $103 last September... Is it even worth it to build a small enphase, solaredge, or other micro inverter system? Is a small string inverter system better?

What was your total annual bill? How many years would it take to offset that? Is that time frame acceptable to you?

If you're going DIY, investigate the requirements of your AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) and utility. You may find the requirements for grid-tie cumbersome, and you may find the credit you get for excess solar is not at all to your advantage.

With the low consumption of your shop I think I'd look at off grid rather than jumping through all the hoops for grid-tied, assuming you can do so where you're located. It might take longer to get your money back but there are some advantages IMO. Maybe even a DIY portable system to get your feet wet, assuming you could get by with 120v service. You can do something like including some panels for probably $3k or less.

I should have mentioned in the first post.. The shop portion of my property is out of the city limits, so the only hoop(s) I would need to do is the interconnect agreement with Oncor. I installed the 200A service to the shop my self and no permits or inspections required, other than the inspection from Oncor.

I should have mentioned in the first post.. The shop portion of my property is out of the city limits, so the only hoop(s) I would need to do is the interconnect agreement with Oncor. I installed the 200A service to the shop my self and no permits or inspections required, other than the inspection from Oncor.

You are still subject to county building codes, and Oncor may require a system in compliance with NEC 20XX, etc.

Do the research first.

Personally for a small setup , I'd go totally off grid , and separate components, mppt, inverter, battery, mains charger

It's much more fun that way

> I do have two meters on my property, one for the house and one for the shop but the utility does not offer aggregate metering..

I assume that each meter is billed separately? Any way to get power from your house to the Shop? One 15 or 20 amp circuit? Preferably 240v?

Consider an off-grid system for the shop, and disconnect the meter (eliminate meter charge, and other fees). If you can get power from the house to the shop (one circuit), you can hook up something like a chargeverter to manually charge the batteries when needed (pro longed cloudy days).

Personally for a small setup , I'd go totally off grid , and separate components, mppt, inverter, battery, mains charger

It's much more fun that way
I would agree, but once I am able to spend more time in the shop I will be expanding what is being used.
> I do have two meters on my property, one for the house and one for the shop but the utility does not offer aggregate metering..

I assume that each meter is billed separately? Any way to get power from your house to the Shop? One 15 or 20 amp circuit? Preferably 240v?

Consider an off-grid system for the shop, and disconnect the meter (eliminate meter charge, and other fees). If you can get power from the house to the shop (one circuit), you can hook up something like a chargeverter to manually charge the batteries when needed (pro longed cloudy days).
funny story about that.. the shop has a 40A 220v service from the house. I had to redo it cause the original owner didn't use the right gauge wire among other things.. Any who.. I had out grown that 40A service as I have a bunch of high amp use tools. CNC, Dust collectors, planer, jointer, laser cutters, etc. and my wife, she is a CPA, wanted me to get the shop separate from the house so my side business (woodworking) could pay that bill..

fast forward two years and I have taken on two full time jobs (both remote) and I have closed in ~500 sq/ft of the shop and built a home gym and office for my main job and the 40A service is servicing it. since taking on a second full time job I haven't had much time to spend in the shop. I am quitting one of the jobs, my last day is the 30th of June so I will have more time in the shop. At that point I will start to install all the outlets for all the tools, maybe get spray foam, and some 12v / grid AC units.

I have outlined a plan in my head on what I want to do, and it will require some trenching back to the house to run the PV wire from the main panels for the house, but didn't want to touch the 40A service since that is home money and not shop money if that makes any sense.pU2nOmzcTg.png

2OuURYfaxK.png

Is the wire from the house still there? How many amps do you need? How many kWh per day when working?

If you are going to build with battery anyway, the existing line (if still there) can send continuous power to charge the battery. Let the battery supply load. Some excess pv can be sent to the house using the line.

So this all might be a mute point.. When I first contacted my utility provider they said they couldn't combine my meters for aggregate billing, now they are saying they can but I need Oncor to combine them on their end.. "We can offer aggregate metering but you have reach out your local Transmission Delivery Utility provider to confirm if your meters are connected to each other." If I can get this done, I can just connect everything to the shop meter and not have to worry about it. as all the extra production would go for the house meter on the bill

I am not sure I will qualify, but I emailed them to see what I can do.. This is what I could find in Oncors documentation..

1686875370889.png
1686875386150.png

I have gotten a response from Oncor about the DIY install, which is nice that they are supporting this.. I think it is interesting Oncor links to a CA website to see if items are UL certified.. Still waiting on response on my aggregate metering..

I thought of a issue with installing everything connecting to the shop meter though.. In the event of a grid down event, the shop would have power, and the house wouldn't since the batteries would be in the shop.

Thank you for reaching out to Oncor regarding your DIY interconnection project. We do have a process for customers who are installing a solar system on their own. Please review the steps below and the documents attached:

The process below details the steps for installing a certified system. Please note that a certified DRG system is an inverter based system which has been tested and certified to meet the standards specified in UL-1741 Utility Interactive (Underwriters Laboratory). Your DRG system vendor can verify DRG system certification. Conversely, if your system does not meet UL-1741 requirements, it is a non-certified system. You can verify that your system is certified on https://www.energy.ca.gov/programs-and-topics/topics/renewable-energy/solar-equipment-lists

Non-certified system may require increased process time and possibly a fee to study the systems impact on the grid.

The Oncor interconnection process that ultimately provides customers permission to operate their installed solar system. The Interconnection Portal is an installer-facing platform. Because you are installing your system,you will need to gain access to the portal here: Distributed Generation Interconnection Portal (anbetrack.com)

Please select the “New Installer” button on this page to receive your login credentials. (you can place random numbers for your tax id. Please review the eTRACK document requirements and tutorial documents attached before entering your project details.

Once you have logged in, please add "DIY and your last name in the project name field." Please enter the specifics about the installation per the attached requirements and generate a Tariff Application. Once you have signed the Tariff Agreement (either hard signature or esignature), the project may be submitted for our review.

Please email dg@oncor.com when you have signed your Tariff Application. Oncor is required to review submitted application within 30 days. However, we would like to support you through the process and would like to know when you project has been submitted.

Once Oncor has completed the review of your interconnection application, we will generate the Interconnection Agreement and make it “available” in the portal for your review. Please either send this to esignature or download the agreement, sign it, and upload the hardcopy.

When Oncor has signed the Interconnection Agreement, the Permission To Operate Letter will be distributed to you via the email provided in the customer tab. Upon receipt of this letter, you will have permission to operate the installed system.

Once the Permission to Operate letter has been distributed, Oncor will place an order to have the Oncor meter reprogrammed to measure excess generation. Your load profile that reports this excess generation to your Retail Electric Provider, will be updated within one full billing cycle of the meter reprogramming date (30-60 days).

Please respond to this email with any questions you may have about this DIY interconnection process.

Thank you,
Oncor Distributed Generation Team

I know this has been sitting a while but I have built my own system, minus batteries, instead doing an Enphase microinverter system and done it through Oncor.

I cheated a little because I bought it wholesale from a local solar installer, and used their simple line diagram, provided as part of the purchase, then edited in photoshop to match my actual install. Took a few weeks. Had the interconnection agreement before panels were installed. Hardest part was trenching and installing panels.

Back