diy solar

diy solar

Soft Starters for Air Conditioners

Mini-splits usually have variable speed motors, so they don't typically have the inrush issue.

I was hoping that my problem could be solved with an Easy Start
no where I can find have you stated what your problem is..... that would help over a random single sentence post.

Inverter AC (most all mini splits) are soft start bt design.

You have to be careful of 120vac 12kbtu and below mini-splits, like ones used for RV's. They have a different problem. They don't have a power factor correcting AC to DC power supply for their three phase inverter HV DC supply so their AC current profile is short high peak current spikes caused by simple rectifier-filter capacitor AC to HV DC converter that causes battery powered 120vac inverter to barf.

Most all 240vac mini-splits are derived from European units which are required by European regulations to have power factor correction.

Can anyone tell me if this 12K mini has an inverter or is it a hard start?

Attachments

• Minisplit LIFE12.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Can anyone tell me if this 12K mini has an inverter or is it a hard start?

Mini-splits are naturally all soft start. The trend of mini splits moved toward variable-speed DC fans and compressor motors, controlled by PWM supply circuits. I doubt you could ever find a 'hard start' mini split if you tried...

I have a Frikko that will not start using 1200ah 12 volt and a 3000 watt pure sine inverter
I’ve been told on this forum that is not an inverter

Is not an inverter mini

I've never heard of that brand before, Frikko... If you could start it up with an amp clamp on the input (one that can measure surge), you could see what is the max draw on it when it starts up.

But soft-starters only work on AC motors/compressors, not sure what kind of motors are in your Frikko, if they are DC, and they are starting with too much surge, it would seem like a poor design that the motor controller wouldn't be ramping it up gradually...

I've never heard of that brand before, Frikko... If you could start it up with an amp clamp on the input (one that can measure surge), you could see what is the max draw on it when it starts up.

But soft-starters only work on AC motors/compressors, not sure what kind of motors are in your Frikko, if they are DC, and they are starting with too much surge, it would seem like a poor design that the motor controller wouldn't be ramping it up gradually...
Frikko is from Mexico
I listed the specs in an earlier post
My 1200 ah lead acid with a 3000 watt pure sine will not start the Mini so I have been trying to find an alternative to replacing the unit

Frikko is from Mexico
My 1200 ah lead acid with a 3000 watt pure sine will not start the Mini so I have been trying to find an alternative to replacing the unit

How many BTU is that Frikko unit? Is it 240v or 120v? Yeah, I'd try an amp clamp that can measure surge and go from there, then you can know what the unit is demanding exactly. Figure out where exactly in the unit is most the draw coming from. Like say the compressor, or fans or something. If they are AC or DC. Perhaps the fans are all trying to engage at the same time as the compressor. Maybe a delay on the fan relays for a few seconds, until the compressor is done getting up to speed would be enough to not trip the inverter? I don't know, just shooting ideas out there...

Frikko is from Mexico
3000w inverter should have like a 5k surge. and that unit should be less then 1200w ... I think u have a inverter problem check voltage in and out during start up or other heavy loads like a space heater

How many BTU is that Frikko unit? Is it 240v or 120v? Yeah, I'd try an amp clamp that can measure surge and go from there, then you can know what the unit is demanding exactly. Figure out where exactly in the unit is most the draw coming from. Like say the compressor, or fans or something. If they are AC or DC. Perhaps the fans are all trying to engage at the same time as the compressor. Maybe a delay on the fan relays for a few seconds, until the compressor is done getting up to speed would be enough to not trip the inverter? I don't know, just shooting ideas out there...
12000 BTU
120 volt

Back