diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k inverter temperature

Tulex

Solar Wizard
Noticed my fans are running a lot, so looked at my temperature via SA. Shows it holds between 144 and 145.5 F.
Anyone with a 15k, what are you seeing?

Noticed my fans are running a lot, so looked at my temperature via SA. Shows it holds between 144 and 145.5 F.
Anyone with a 15k, what are you seeing?
Probably would help if you indicated what the ambient temp is where it is located and how much power is going through the system at that time.. both inverting and PV power.

Probably would help if you indicated what the ambient temp is where it is located and how much power is going through the system at that time.. both inverting and PV power.
Didn't think to as it doesn't seem to matter. Room can be 60 to 70 deg, day or night, with or without PV, high or low pass through. Last 7 days below.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 140313.png

all range.png

Last edited:
Even when it was 30f here, the inverter stayed about 160...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409_191646_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_191646_Chrome.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 7
SolarAssistant does not read the AC temp of the SolArk, and there is no DC temp probe in the inverter like there is in the 5k/8k/and 12k. Discussing this with @robby, we can only assume that the value that SolarAssistant is showing is a resistor soldered to the board to give a value that won't make the software freak out. The slight variances of the value is from heat changes in the resistor makes micro changes to the resistance.

Check the screen on the SolArk 15k for actual temps of AC side of the inverter. You should find they are not very hot. Even in my testing, I COULDNT get it to overheat.

I thought the SA temp holding was odd. I did find the AC temp. Though, I don't know how much that actually represents the internal temp of the unit.

For the fun of it, I set a rack fan on top to pull the air through. AC temp dropped from an average of 120 to just over 90. Rack fan is a lot quieter than when the internal fans come on. I haven't heard the internal fans come on since adding the rack fan.

120F is seriously cool for the inverter. It won't start thermal throttling until (I think) 192*ish (90*C).

I wouldn't worry about it

SolarAssistant does not read the AC temp of the SolArk, and there is no DC temp probe in the inverter like there is in the 5k/8k/and 12k. Discussing this with @robby, we can only assume that the value that SolarAssistant is showing is a resistor soldered to the board to give a value that won't make the software freak out. The slight variances of the value is from heat changes in the resistor makes micro changes to the resistance.

Check the screen on the SolArk 15k for actual temps of AC side of the inverter. You should find they are not very hot. Even in my testing, I COULDNT get it to overheat.
Yep, it has no temp probe on the DC side of the 15K.
I also agree it is probably just a resistor soldered in place.
They say that it cannot overheat but I think it is just not needed because the AC and DC side use the same heatsink. A DC probe would just be redundancy. I have heard that it does some kind of production juggling if the Heat sink happens to get too hot. Maybe that is what they mean when they say that it cannot overheat.

BTW just looked in Powerview (Web) and I can no longer find the option to view the DC Temp.
Can someone else with a 12K confirm this.

maybe a dump question, but do you have enough clearance above and below inverter?

Minimum 50cm / 2 feet (ish) space all around the inverter and a meter (3 feet) in front.

Yep, it has no temp probe on the DC side of the 15K.
I also agree it is probably just a resistor soldered in place.
They say that it cannot overheat but I think it is just not needed because the AC and DC side use the same heatsink. A DC probe would just be redundancy. I have heard that it does some kind of production juggling if the Heat sink happens to get too hot. Maybe that is what they mean when they say that it cannot overheat.

BTW just looked in Powerview (Web) and I can no longer find the option to view the DC Temp.
Can someone else with a 12K confirm this.
1712807293093.png

On my phone app, if I click equipment on the bottom, then tap inverter on top, below "type" shows my inverter SN. Tap that, and the flow chart shows. Tap the inverter, you will see temp as the last option. Or, instead of tapping the inverter icon, you can choose it as a parameter below the flow chart.

Last edited:
On my phone app, if I click equipment on the bottom, then tap inverter on top, below "type" shows my inverter SN. Tap that, and the flow chart shows. Tap the inverter, you will see temp as the last option. Or, instead of tapping the inverter icon, you can choose it as a parameter below the flow chart.
My previous post was using the PC.
On the phone app go to the equipment tab, select the S/N o the inverter, on the graphic of your plant select the inverter, then select the Temp.

Go to the Equipment tab, click on the inverter icon, then select the Temperature tab.
I had forgotten about the graphs that can be accessed by the Inverter and other Icons in the power flow diagram.
I always use the "Parameters" option so that I can comparatively graph anything I select.
DC Temp use to be one of the Parameters that I could select but they have removed it from the list and added more Generator options.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back