diy solar

diy solar

sol-ark-15k notification that grid has failed

vsman

Just struck me- when I tested my sol-ark-15k by disconnecting the grid the transfer to solar and battery was seamless- nothing reset in the house. However in the event of a grid failure- I would want to stop charging the car and shed unnecessary loads- upstairs AC, oven etc... is there a solution that can send me a text?

If it doesn't have that you could add an emporia vue to monitor your power usage and such since it has that feature.

It does not send notifications but I installed 2 Reliance Transfer Switches, 1 for the house & 1 for the shop.
They work great for switching circuits from solar to shore power, then back again.

Just struck me- when I tested my sol-ark-15k by disconnecting the grid the transfer to solar and battery was seamless- nothing reset in the house. However in the event of a grid failure- I would want to stop charging the car and shed unnecessary loads- upstairs AC, oven etc... is there a solution that can send me a text?
Do you have a generator connected to the Sol-Ark?

If not, I think you’ll find a solution on page 35 of the manual. Smart Load (Gen Breaker)

I would also think if you want an some type of external alarm, you could connect it to the Sensor Pin Out. (7,8) Gen Start Relay: Two wire start for generators, simple open or closed relay.

Another possible solution would be to increase the UPS time.
“UPS Time: Set the UPS transfer time to the chosen value; any value below 4ms will default to a 4ms transfer time.”

Then, if your home, it will be obvious it has switched.

Beyond that additional equipment would be needed to turn of the circuits which @vsman mentioned in his original post.
I think this will likely be the optimal solution in a Sol-Ark environment:

AFAIK, it is still slated to go GA later this quarter...though wouldn't surprise me if it slips into next. A bit spendy, but it will do a lot more in terms of circuit reporting and management than just the grid down selective shut-off function.

I think this will likely be the optimal solution in a Sol-Ark environment:

AFAIK, it is still slated to go GA later this quarter...though wouldn't surprise me if it slips into next. A bit spendy, but it will do a lot more in terms of circuit reporting and management than just the grid down selective shut-off function.
What's the price?

What's the price?
I don't believe final pricing has been announced. Back when it was first announced forever ago, numbers in the vicinity of $3K were suggested. I think it's been in beta long enough that Sol-Ark can and should pubish several detailed use cases that would estimate -- with reasonable accuracy -- the economic and operational benefits to implementing one (or more) in a Sol-Ark ecosystem.

Since he alluded to the product in another thread, maybe @jrcromer will be along to discuss what he can about it in 3 - 2 - ...

Last edited:
I don't believe final pricing has been announced. Back when it was first announced forever ago, numbers in the vicinity of $3K were suggested. I think it's been in beta long enough that Sol-Ark can and should pubish several detailed use cases that would estimate -- with reasonable accuracy -- the economic and operational benefits to implementing one (or more) in a Sol-Ark ecosystem.

Since he alluded to the product in another thread, maybe @jrcromer will be along to discuss what he can about it in 3 - 2 - ...
I'll probably pass on it for that price unless it has some really compelling features

14 100A circuits? Looks like it's designed for really big setups?

Up to 100 amp circuits. I doubt anyone that buys this will actually use it with 14 100A breakers.
So I know one of the big attractions of say a solark15 is that you can put it online with a 200A service and not have to mess around with the service panel much. To use this you would rewire when you installed out of the main breaker panel to one or more of these?

I'll probably pass on it for that price unless it has some really compelling features
At a high level, I guess the best way to think about it is as Sol-Ark's incarnation of a Span smart panel -- i.e., a central point of control for a comprehensive energy management solution -- albeit with fewer breakers. OTOH it will be easier and less expensive to purchase and implement than a Span. And almost certainly more DIY-friendly.

Perhaps we'll see installation, configuration, and operations manuals on the Sol-Ark site a few weeks before it's GA, as it was with their optimizers. And possibly a video or two from Engineer 775, who has been an early tester.

Last edited:
Yes, that was my thinking as well. Plus the integration with the SolArk in terms of programing based on battery SOC or solar production
I think it would be cool if it can interoperate with Solar Assistant (and Home Assistant, IotaWatt, etc.). Less need for Sol-Ark to reinvent the wheel (and with a proprietary one at that).

Back