diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K Smart load

Tulex

Solar Wizard
Anyone using the smart load option on the Sol-Ark 15K? I didn't even know it existed until reading my manual again.
Basically it turns the generator input into to an output. You can then set the battery range that it does that.
I was going to connect my already existing generator, but now it seems ideal for a high load subpanel.

I am not using it but it does work.
it’s triggered by the batteries reaching over a set point and enough extra PV being produce.

Anyone using the smart load option on the Sol-Ark 15K? I didn't even know it existed until reading my manual again.
Basically it turns the generator input into to an output. You can then set the battery range that it does that.
I was going to connect my already existing generator, but now it seems ideal for a high load subpanel.
For a moment, reading your topic title made my heart skip a beat...

I have this in use daily you bet, you can checkout my videos of it in action. I am in an off grid situation, so the gen input is my smart loads output, which I have hooked up to a sub panel, it powers some outlets, and a hot water heater right now, my elec tank is before my boiler fed tank so when the sun is shining and batteries are full all hot water loads for the house are met. I have my generator hooked up to the grid input on the sol ark, but I do not use it. I don't like the way my generator power makes all the lights flicker in the house, and this is understandable, current cannot flow in two directions in the same wire so the generator has to handle house loads and charging, which causes electronics to be stressed out. So I used a spare growatt 5000es as a charger only, this way my generator feeds the growatt as charger, and lets the solark continue to only handle battery, pv, and house loads at a rock solid 60hz with reliable power.

In the next two weeks will be the test when I actually need generator for my new setup, haven't used genny since last Christmas other than to exercise and keep the fluids moving. My undetermined experiment is the following: Leave the two wire start hooked up to generator from sol ark where the signal for low battery comes from, but feed power to the growatt instead of the sol ark. I don't know if the sol ark will be smart enough to notice there is no power coming in and then shut off the genny, there is a loud audible contactor or relay sound from inside the sol ark after 30 seconds of warming up that if it doesn't sense power, unsure of what the sol ark will do.

Last edited:
I have this in use daily you bet, you can checkout my videos of it in action. I am in an off grid situation, so the gen input is my smart loads output, which I have hooked up to a sub panel, it powers some outlets, and a hot water heater right now, my elec tank is before my boiler fed tank so when the sun is shining and batteries are full all hot water loads for the house are met. I have my generator hooked up to the grid input on the sol ark, but I do not use it. I don't like the way my generator power makes all the lights flicker in the house, and this is understandable, current cannot flow in two directions in the same wire so the generator has to handle house loads and charging, which causes electronics to be stressed out. So I used a spare growatt 5000es as a charger only, this way my generator feeds the growatt as charger, and lets the solark continue to only handle battery, pv, and house loads at a rock solid 60hz with reliable power.

In the next two weeks will be the test when I actually need generator for my new setup, haven't used genny since last Christmas other than to exercise and keep the fluids moving. My undetermined experiment is the following: Leave the two wire start hooked up to generator from sol ark where the signal for low battery comes from, but feed power to the growatt instead of the sol ark. I don't know if the sol ark will be smart enough to notice there is no power coming in and then shut off the genny, there is a loud audible contactor or relay sound from inside the sol ark after 30 seconds of warming up that if it doesn't sense power, unsure of what the sol ark will do.
Myles, how did that experiment go? The flickering when running the generator drives me nuts. Id consider buying a chargeverter if that worked out well for you. I'm trying to sort out a problem with my smartload now. We haven't seen the sun in a while so I'm running the generator occasionally. I have smartload set to 95%on90% off and 6000w solar. As soon as my batteries see 95% my water heater kicks on. Maybe I'm missing something but that doesn't seem right.

Myles, how did that experiment go? The flickering when running the generator drives me nuts. Id consider buying a chargeverter if that worked out well for you. I'm trying to sort out a problem with my smartload now. We haven't seen the sun in a while so I'm running the generator occasionally. I have smartload set to 95%on90% off and 6000w solar. As soon as my batteries see 95% my water heater kicks on. Maybe I'm missing something but that doesn't seem right.

I still do it to avoid all flicker. It works great but I only do it at night when there is no solar. As one time I had the generator running thru the growatt then solar overtook my loads and blew out the growatt. There is a thread I started about it that you could search.

Back