diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 5K 1P

Captain Kirk

I'm scratching my head on this install, and it's probably an obvious answer starting me in the face on this single phase inverter. I'm hoping someone has the interest / is able to describe this connection in this youtube video. The installer seems to be running the 120V inverter out single phase into both bus bars of the main panel. He then states that the 240V loads will not be powered by the inverter. How then are the 240V loads powered, as they seem to be on the same bus. How is this possible wiring wise? To power the 120V loads from both bus bars with the same phase, and not power the 240V loads that require split phase?

Starts in at the 3 minute mark:

Powering 240v has 240v across both 120v split phase.

The 5k outputs 120v single phase. The video is putting the same phase on both 120v busses (so you can power all the 120v loads). If you take the voltage across the two, it is 0v, not 240v.

You will need an auto transformer to convert the 120v to 240v split phase, and wire the other bus with the other line.

right. But per this video his dryer/other 240V loads *breakers* are on the bus with 120V nonsplit phase/single phase, correct?....how would these loads be satisfied by 120V?

Right, at 4:06 he points to the 240volt breakers on the panel requiring 240V (AC, dryer and range) now running on only 120V. How will they be powered with this setup...this seems a half-baked solution? I need an aha moment!....

Back