diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant Response Time/Connectivity

Self Reliant

Hey guys, "noob" question here.

I've just configured my system and was hoping to start recording analytics to see all the details of the system to make some informed decisions for improvements, general metrics, etc...

Solar Assistant looked like the way to go. I purchased an Orange Pi and a Solar Assistant license and configured the system and hooked it up to the inverter (which was a little bit of a trial itself).

It does seem to be recording data, however, it takes a while, a long while actually, to hook up to the Solar Assistant site the Orange Pi hosts. It might spin for 1-2 minutes. Then, when it does finally connect, each page load (Dashboard, Charts, Totals, Power, Configuration) can itself take a long time to load (sometimes it times out and you have to reload it several times). In addition, even though the main, local Sites page shows a local IP on my local area network, I can't see the site unless I am looking at the site on a device connected to wifi. Very odd.

I thought perhaps the issue was the Orange Pi install, so I re-flashed the device 3 times, no improvement. I also though it might be connectivity of the Orange Pi to the wifi network since it was a decent distance away so I bought a wifi extender and re-configured the Pi. The extender is close to the device. It didn't help load times.

Would anyone have any advice on how to improve the user experience of Solar Assistant?

Actually, I tried that. I had only tried a different browser on the computer (Chrome & Edge), but again, same result.

The sites are so simplistic, I couldn't imagine it would be different from one browser to another. Sure enough...no difference. I guess I could try a different browser on my phone (using Chrome now) but again, I'm hoping someone has had the same issue and found a solid reason for the slowness and a good work-around.

Haven't seen this issue before.
Interested to see what you find out.
Good luck.

It seems to be a connectivity issue.
But I don't know how to see where the problem is.
I would try to connect it directly with an Ethernet cable. Even if just to the extender. (If it has physical jacks)

it takes a while, a long while actually, to hook up to the Solar Assistant site the Orange Pi hosts.
I connected my Orange Pi via Ethernet and it is instantaneous. As others have mentioned, I don't think it uses a cloud. The Pi has a webserver built in and I access it on a Windows laptop with a Chrome browser using and IP address of the PI.

Last edited:
Yeah, this sounds like something ain't right with network connection as the response should be pretty much instant. Mine is running on a RPi 3b (supplied by SA). I do have mine connected via ethernet.

Try connecting direct to the ip address of the orange pi instead of the SA website.

I'm always using the IP just to be sure there are no alias issues ?

Though I do have quite a few items connected. I'll check the limit, thanks guys!

I have a T-Mobile home internet/router and everything, Alexa, Emproria, Nest, Blink, Smart Life, Phones and TV are Wi-Fi connected flawlessly….. EXCEPT Solar Assistant. I did work great for a few months and it started getting flaky and then flat out wouldn’t connect. I think T-Mobile installed a security update that started it. Got frustrated and bought another Solar Assistant and also wouldn’t connect so now I got a spare W/license . Bought a Cat 8 cable for T-M to the SA and it’s been solid connecting for about a year. Since the latest SA update the pi just hangs and stops gathering data but a reboot every few weeks seems to end that. But I don’t think that’s a connectivity issue.

Last edited:
I got a linksys, it's not the greatest router but it's served me well over the last 2-3 years pretty faithfully. I have a secondary unit that I might test just for fun, but first I'll see if SA Support can give me any direction. I did mention the slowness for another ticket I have with them but it wasn't addressed.

Here's hoping!

I have a T-Mobile home internet/router and everything, Alexa, Emproria, Nest, Blink, Smart Life, Phones and TV are Wi-Fi connected flawlessly….. EXCEPT Solar Assistant. I did work great for a few months and it started getting flaky and then flat out wouldn’t connect. I think T-Mobile installed a security update that started it. Got frustrated and bought another Solar Assistant and also wouldn’t connect so now I got a spare W/license . Bought a Cat 8 cable for T-M to the SA and it’s been solid connecting for about a year. Since the latest SA update the pi just hangs and stops gathering data but a reboot every few weeks seems to end that. But I don’t think that’s a connectivity issue.
I had TMHI for a couple of years after switching from evil Comcast....it worked but man what a PITA with the constantly changing speed and dropouts and etc! Century Link Fiber finally became available about 6 months ago and it's like I've died and gone to heaven!

I had TMHI for a couple of years after switching from evil Comcast....it worked but man what a PITA with the constantly changing speed and dropouts and etc! Century Link Fiber finally became available about 6 months ago and it's like I've died and gone to heaven!
Very early on with the TMHI it was like you said but I didn’t have any reasonable options. Then it started getting better and better. Now it’s just screaming fast. Previously I was fed “hi speed” over the twisted pair by AT&T. What a joke that was. Pushing data that fast over a system with a whole community’s worth of un-shielded cross talk, what could possibly go wrong? Now that was evil.

Back