diy solar

diy solar

Solar charge controller & LVX6048 together

craigcabrey

Hi all,

I realize this topic has probably been done to death but just want to get clarification. I know that using multiple charge sources isn't a problem. However, is it a problem to use a charge controller in conjunction with an all-in-one unit such as the LVX6048? I imagine not since behind the scenes it's just a charge controller as well. But the LVX6048 can also charge from the grid if needed. Would that conflict with a separate charge controller in some way?

My front porch can only fit 6, west facing panels (I have 8 on the way). Thinking about setting up the other two south facing and running them through a charge controller directly to my EG4 48V pack. For this, I imagine the Victron 100/20 MPPT charge controller would be perfect. Panels are G10+ 395W Q Cells, so open circuit is rated at ~45V, MPPT voltage at ~36V.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I realize this topic has probably been done to death but just want to get clarification. I know that using multiple charge sources isn't a problem.

But you're not embracing that knowledge. :)

However, is it a problem to use a charge controller in conjunction with an all-in-one unit such as the LVX6048?

No.

I imagine not since behind the scenes it's just a charge controller as well. But the LVX6048 can also charge from the grid if needed. Would that conflict with a separate charge controller in some way?

No. Just because a box happens to have two different types of chargers in it, it doesn't make them special.

My front porch can only fit 6, west facing panels (I have 8 on the way). Thinking about setting up the other two south facing and running them through a charge controller directly to my EG4 48V pack. For this, I imagine the Victron 100/20 MPPT charge controller would be perfect. Panels are G10+ 395W Q Cells, so open circuit is rated at ~45V, MPPT voltage at ~36V.

Should be fine; however, you may not need to do that.

If the 6 are in a 2S3P array and then you 2S the south facing panels, you can simply parallel them in to form a 2S4P array on the same MPPT.

Only the individual panels within a string need to be the same orientation. Parallel strings can face different directions.

West facing panels may perform poorly. Do you have the option to put all 8 South facing?

But you're not embracing that knowledge. :)

No.

No. Just because a box happens to have two different types of chargers in it, it doesn't make them special.

Should be fine; however, you may not need to do that.

If the 6 are in a 2S3P array and then you 2S the south facing panels, you can simply parallel them in to form a 2S4P array on the same MPPT.

Only the individual panels within a string need to be the same orientation. Parallel strings can face different directions.

West facing panels may perform poorly. Do you have the option to put all 8 South facing?
Nothing wrong with confirming before damaging a $5k investment :p

PVWatts doesn't show a huge difference between West and South, so I'd rather use my front porch roof. A ground mount isn't feasible at my location. At least, not for 8 panels.

Back