diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Cable

The MC4 connectors I used are rated for up to 30 amps.

Yes mine are also but I'm not splicing my main current feed with a mc4. I dont need the extra resistance from a cheap mc4 connection.

I think what Will was trying to say is a mc4 shouldn't be in between in the single string going to the mppt. Like cut your main current wire from your panel array to the mppt and add a mc4 connector. For my splice at the side of my rv in my main feed I decided to use this.
Nothing wrong with multiple panels connected in series using MC4, paralleling strings with MC4 "Y" connectors (so long as current limits not exceeded, and fuses added if more than 2Y), and MC4 extensions all the way back to charge controller.

I change mine to THHN/THWN in a junction box, because I have a long run in conduit. But if charge controller was nearby, could just put MC4 pigtails through a gland connector into the charge controller.

The connector you linked says 12 - 36V, 50A.
If your panels are in parallel then you might be in that voltage range and approach that current, so that connector could be good (kept dry).
If your panels are in series, or no more than about 20A worth in parallel, then MC4 would be good.

It sounds like what you really need is a combiner box.
I would use a combiner box but my panels are ground mounted and need to quick connection. So I have a Anderson right after combiner, and one at junction box at rv for disconnect.

Back