diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Isolation / Breaker / Switch

Barold

What are people using for panel isolation (between charge controller and your panels) I've seed the DIN rail mounted breakers but then I'd have to get an enclosure and it starts to take up space in my limited battery / electrical garage on my sailboat. The wiring will come down, through a deck gland and before the charge controller I would like to install a switch that cuts but pos and neg to the charge controller.

I'll start. This is the combo I've come up with thus far (but would love something smaller/more compact)

Blue Seas Breaker enclosure (small)
Blue Seas 30A Breaker

The relevant components are two 110W flexible solar panels (Isc of 6.3A each) and Victron 100/20 MPPT charger

If your panel voltage is below 32vdc an automotive switch would work fine. 30A rated and as high a voltage as you need is available for a few dollars.

Din breakers can be mounted on din rail without an enclosure if you have a safe compartment and bind the wiring properly.

Be sure to use rail stops. Din components make good combiners and feed-through terminal blocks are cheap and compact and can be bused together if needed.

If using automotive parts, might not hurt to use a conformal coating (or even just clear acrylic spray paint) on the metal bits/exterior in a marine application.

If using automotive parts, might not hurt to use a conformal coating (or even just clear acrylic spray paint) on the metal bits/exterior in a marine application.
Or a marine switch. Didnt catch sailboat. Possibly not a sea going vessel, but either way its moist!

I would place breakers in an enclosure, probably 3"x6" or a 4"x4" could do it. A switch is compact as it gets if you want fingertip control.

If your panel voltage is below 32vdc an automotive switch would work fine. 30A rated and as high a voltage as you need is available for a few dollars.

Din breakers can be mounted on din rail without an enclosure if you have a safe compartment and bind the wiring properly.

Be sure to use rail stops. Din components make good combiners and feed-through terminal blocks are cheap and compact and can be bused together if needed.
Panel voltages are close to the rated value of the Blue Seas 285 breaker - each panel (Sunpower 110W) is rated at 18.8V Vmpp and 22.8 Voc. If i wire them in series, the voltage could exceed the maximum rating for a 45V BSS 285 breaker but be well under the current rating. If I wire the panels in parallel I will be fine on the V and current (I'd like to maintain flexibility in how the panels will be wired).
With regard to din rails, the panel wire will come through a deck gland in our spare cabin (where the batteries are located) I'm concerned about having the exposed switch and would prefer it to be either in the battery compartment on in an enclosure.

An industrial automation supply house has a suitable switch. Possibly enclosure also. I have pretty small austrian made machine switches, ac rated but dc versions are available in quite high dc voltages. IMO isolators. They are rotary type and are available in mini sizes and sealed. ABB comes to mind also.

Enclosures are also available, small, plastic, Sealed/water resistant, etc.

Back