diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel location

Traviss224

Not sure if this is the correct thread location. Sorry if it's not.

I am looking to add onto my panels. I currently have 18, 240 or 250 watt panels on my roof. This is max input for my growatt.

However now that I have my property completely cleared and building built etc I want to add on to my system.

I have about two to three hours of sun that I miss out on. I want to add additional panels facing westward. Is there a way to do this or since I am maxed out on my unit, can this not be done. Will this affect the panels that are shaded?

Thank you

Not sure if this is the correct thread location. Sorry if it's not.

I am looking to add onto my panels. I currently have 18, 240 or 250 watt panels on my roof. This is max input for my growatt.

However now that I have my property completely cleared and building built etc I want to add on to my system.

I have about two to three hours of sun that I miss out on. I want to add additional panels facing westward. Is there a way to do this or since I am maxed out on my unit, can this not be done. Will this affect the panels that are shaded?

Thank you

Lotsa growatt models out there. Which one?

Generally speaking you can add additional strings of the same voltage at different facings in parallel to the existing array. It might also make sense to split out part of your old array and face it East, so your peak mid-day output is reduced, and you get more total output from the larger array across the day.

It really depends on the MPPT limits in your unit.

Can I disconnect the PV input on my AIO and use a separate charge controller to the batteries? This may be what we classify as a stupid question. And I'm all for creating a sticky for my stupid questions. 😂 😂

Growatt 6k spf mpv off grid

Is that the one with the 150Voc MPPT limit? If so, it's more tolerant of over-paneling.

Can I disconnect the PV input on my AIO and use a separate charge controller to the batteries? This may be what we classify as a stupid question. And I'm all for creating a sticky for my stupid questions. 😂 😂

Yes. And you can keep using the AiO PV and add a separate MPPT.

Ah... missed the MPV designation.

There was a 250Voc MPPT model that had some absurdly low PV input current limit that made it impossible to get anywhere near the 4000W claimed PV output.

That one does not specify a PV input current limit, so it should be tolerant of over-paneling. You just need to have strings with Vmp very close to your main array and simply put them in parallel with your main array.

Or get a separate MPPT for the new array... :)

It shows in the manual 5000 watt of PV input.

I'd get a separate mppt for a new array.

Do you have any recommendations on a mppt? I was looking at getting a pallet of 25 250watt panels.

Any good link or documentation on installing the mppt with an existing AIO?

It shows in the manual 5000 watt of PV input.

I'd get a separate mppt for a new array.

Do you have any recommendations on a mppt? I was looking at getting a pallet of 25 250watt panels.

Victron has recently dropped their MPPT prices to be competitive with EPEVER, Renogy, etc. Growatt does make some dedicated MPPT, which might work better with your system (I think they can communicate with each other).

25 * 250W = 6250W, which is going to require a very beefy MPPT. IIRC, Growatt has one capable of 120A.

Here we go:

Note that I have no direct experience with any of this hardware, but I've read several manuals and interacted with and helped troubleshoot with others on this forum.

Any good link or documentation on installing the mppt with an existing AIO?

Hook it up to the battery like nothing else exists. :)

Just be aware the total charge current of your system should not exceed the rated charge current of the batteries.

Victron has recently dropped their MPPT prices to be competitive with EPEVER, Renogy, etc. Growatt does make some dedicated MPPT, which might work better with your system (I think they can communicate with each other).

25 * 250W = 6250W, which is going to require a very beefy MPPT. IIRC, Growatt has one capable of 120A.

Here we go:

Note that I have no direct experience with any of this hardware, but I've read several manuals and interacted with and helped troubleshoot with others on this forum.

Hook it up to the battery like nothing else exists. :)

Just be aware the total charge current of your system should not exceed the rated charge current of the batteries.

Thank you. Help is very much appreciated

I will contact Ian about the growatt ones. That's great that I can just hook it up to the batteries. I have enough solar now for nice days. My batteries are almost always charged before noon, usually 10 or so. However what I am hoping to fix is it switching to battery at say 3pm because my panels stop producing enough. If I can catch that other 2-3 hours of sun would be great. And also rainy/ cloudy days, I think this would help overall with catching a little more energy.

Back