diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel on a gaz car when running.. that will work or what will happen??

Marc G

hi,
a friend ask me if he install a 50 to 100w Solar Panel on him car for to compensate the draw/parasites/alarm discharge and be able to use radio many hours less to have fear of some boost help later (and for to have a better lifetime with the car battery).. i have discussed with him and he ask me what will happen with the controller because when the car is running, the battery voltage go to 14.7v (higher than the output controller) and i never try that.. he want to plug it by the lighter plug (the one always connected) and he want to avoid to switch the Solar Panel OFF each time he run the car.. i think it’s a good idea and i may do that me too one day..
someone here have done that and work well without any issue?!?
some brands are more/less sensitive to that kind of use??
let me know what you are experienced (want the real life, not the theory)..
thanks!!

No big deal to have solar and alternator charging active at the same time. I've fired up my trailer's generator, which then powers the AC-DC converter. I watched the solar charge controller's output before and after the converter comes online. The controller backs down the amp output to zero when the converter starts charging. This is with a GoPower PWM controller. Your mileage may vary with other controllers, but they should play well together.

on bench with 2 power supplies (one simulate the PV at 18v, 2nd charging the 12v battery).. what happen is the controller stop charging when the battery is over 14.6v with the 2nd supply.. nothing bad here..
Victron and Regony controlers spec say battery voltage disconnect at 16v (don’t know what that mean.. because both are 12/24v batteries).. him idea is to have extra juice/power to run a little refrigerator 12v during the nice sunny day and/or use radio (he is ham-radio with license) or use CB for long distance contact (when he go to the top of mountains).. i think that others have also some imagination for to use any extra juice in car..

that could be a nice general post: what is your use of extra juice/power on a solar system?
and some good ideas could do a pandemic effect..

Back