diy solar

diy solar

Solar plan for permit

doox00

Does anyone have an example of what a solar plan looks like. I am about to get permits for my solar install and they require a solar plan, I am not sure what this is supposed to look like.

Look up Single Line Diagram. With a chill building department you could draw one up in draw.io but with tight asses they're going to be used to a very specific style of AutoCAD drawing and they'll get all huffy and puffy if you don't look like what they're used to.

In my County it was a plot plan, a single line diagram, and a bunch of equipment specs. Every jurisdiction is different. I used a third party to prepare a professional looking document since I had not done any serious drafting since ninth grade. Everything was done via email and online.

There are a number of examples of 1-line drawings in the resources section.

Here is a post I bookmarked because of the exhaustive detail they went into and they MUST be OCD

+1 for hiring out the plans. I have a lot more fun buying stuff, outlining the approach, and putting it together than doing the detailed drafting, which in California also involves pasting in specific copypasta from the building code on the right pages.

+1 for hiring out the plans. I have a lot more fun buying stuff, outlining the approach, and putting it together than doing the detailed drafting, which in California also involves pasting in specific copypasta from the building code on the right pages.

Who do you talk for hiring out the plans? Local solar companies want nothing to do with people that are diying most of the install.

Who do you talk for hiring out the plans? Local solar companies want nothing to do with people that are diying most of the install.
Fortunately this is a straightforward problem to solve. You talk to the people that do the plans for local solar companies (if they outsource it) or the middleman that is willing to do this for you.

1. Racking companies have a plans drafting service if you use their racking.

2. Greenlancer is a hiring platform for this kind of stuff.

3. Solar kit distributors will often offer plans services along with the kit you buy from them.

4. The Hoymiles distributor on this forum will act as a middleman for plans too (and he is the person I used, he also provided various other help that was important).

Generalizing on (4), some people will recommend via word of mouth here.

Note there are different divisions of problems in the solar plan.

The structural plan is obviously all doable with racking company. And they would know how to handle microinverters, string inverters, RSD (optimizers probably too although Tigo requires another layer of circuits to be drawn). I don't know if they will do all hybrid inverters / bash in a SLD from EG4 or SolArk into the appropriate section. (There is bigger scope of electrical diagrams and ESS physical protection plans)

(My direct experience is microinverter plans which is like baby's first planset, but someone above i believe mentioned a ESS planset)

Back