diy solar

diy solar

Solar trailer need permits?

Jack Rabbit Off Grid

Solar Enthusiast
I’m currently living off grid illegally in the mountains of Oregon on my own property 25 miles from the nearest town. Sometime in the future I plan to get all the proper permits but they are very expensive. Ive looked over the county‘s web site and cannot find any answers.

I don’t want to disclose exactly where I’m at but anyway. This will probably not help with my question.

I was thinking, I have a 33’ stripped 5th wheel frame that I was thinking about mounting a standard Say 6x6 insulated finished and heated shed on to house all the batteries and inverters. Then mount 20 to 24 395w ish panels to it also. Park it on top the hill from my House (about 60’ away where it will see sun all day with no shading due south). I would like to put a 50 amp RV receptacle on the shed and 50 amp RV cord on my house. it’s a 2019 skyline 32’ single wide. Of course I also think I will need to strap the trailer to the ground to keep it from flying away as it get pretty windy here at times. (4000 feet of elevation)

Since this would still be on wheels and technically mobile and nothing is hard wired. Would I really need things like electrical permits? Like it matters at this point. But like I stated before, I plan to get the right permits for the house At some point but would keep the solar trailer with no permits.

I don’t want to press my luck calling the county to ask this right now.

Well... technically it's just a giant portable "generator", right ;) So in theory, if you don't need a permit for a generator, this would be the same. However, I doubt any "official" will see it the same rational way. They will want their money (for the permits/inspections) if nothing else.

It may depend on where your local jurisdiction is with regard to adopting NEC 2020. That set of rules has some language about portable battery systems.

Interested in this one, as I'm doing something somewhat similar, and also in Oregon.

Gonna be honest. If you're already illegal eagle here who cares about the permit lol

Anything on a trailer that's not "permanently" connected to anything is "mobile" and subject to different rules for the most part. I'm not even sure the county or state can regulate that since it's both mobile and "off road use only" for your property.

But that's not legal advice or council. There could be something they can cry foul over.

As long as you use a removable cord (with weatherproof box of course), have a weatherproof disconnect near the outlet, and don't bolt the trailer to the ground I don't see what they have to complain about. It's just an oversized mobile generator at that point.

Especially since it's the least of the offenses you have going on.

I'd say send it, but again I'm no lawyer so if you get caught then my bad advice is on you.

That all said.

Your local regs should be available publicly. Possibly online. If you can get to the digital version it's easy to search for battery, mobile, trailer, and other keywords for the scenario and see if they restrict mobile battery packs for any reason.

If you plan to legalize everything in the future though you might come up against bigger issues with UL listed components and whatnot, but that may only apply to fixed installations.

At my camp in Eastern WA I know the inspectors only care about where my utility power is going to connect and couldn't care less about the rest of the cabin.

Especially since it's the least of the offenses you have going on.
I’d register and inspect the trailer, make it road worthy and legal. Arguments diminish…

Wastewater is an issue most places
Wells are also an issue most places

Were you ‘supposed to’ permit the single wife to ‘install’ it? You sorta should know how far over the edge you are.

The solar powered trailer? As mentioned that’s just a slice of the pie. Are you insured is another question.

Other than that, if the inverter is wired and fused properly on the portable power station, providing a plug-in for an RV cord is a good solution. *I* might have a generator post next to the solar trailer with the RV cord coming from the post to the portable trailer, and bury conduit to the skyline to feed the power to the home panel.

Do you know a local GC or electrician you can inquire of without getting in trouble if they convey your situation to the jurisdiction offices? In other words keep their mouth shut for you?
At least that way you can quantify how much trouble you’re in, or not.

I’m currently living off grid illegally in the mountains of Oregon on my own property 25 miles from the nearest town.
Considering how many people just put up tarps on land they don't own, inside a city, it seems wrong that you need permits for much on your own rural land, far from others, just saying.

{I agree with others, try to find out the rules, and make your set up safe, without tipping off the 'man' as to where you are.}

Considering how many people just put up tarps on land they don't own, inside a city, it seems wrong that you need permits for much on your own rural land, far from others, just saying.

{I agree with others, try to find out the rules, and make your set up safe, without tipping off the 'man' as to where you are.}
It’s unfathomable to be honest. I’m almost a year behind in our barndo timeline because of county permits. I wish I had the stones to emulate the OP because I’d be done already. I too am on 20acres, 30min from town but I’m sure sat imagery and/or drones would turn me in ?
Hell, I’ve gotta get a permit to stay in an RV on my own land if I wanted to ?‍♂️

Sorry for the rant, op I hope you find solution! It’s partially why I want to mount mine on a container.

But just try to put up a tarp tent on your OWN property and live there ...

If OP was in California, they can and do tax/regulate portable generators.

California does permit use of backup generators ... during a Public Safety Power Shutoff.

I thought I read of a $2000 registration fee for diesel generators used on construction sites, not finding right now. Apparently encouraging temporary utility power pole, for air quality reasons.

I'd say if you run an ICE generator, muffle it so well that no-one can hear it.
PV is non-polluting, and discrete except visible from areal/satellite photos.
I think visible buildings are more of interest to permit offices, for tax reasons. But PV array might get them to look more closely.

Keep in mind, any conduit trenched needs inspection… any surface cords must not be in place longer than 90days…
Lots of little rules that encourage permits…
That said…

A gate on your driveway, and imagery from satellite views take time in large areas…

A shed 200 ft.² or less where I live, no permit required.

So a Tiny-House?

I asked a building official once where in the Building Code I could look up the occupancy requirements for: bridge embutments, hwy overpasses, large cardboard boxes, park benches, tarps, and thick bushes in the park; since people seem to live in all the above locations, - he didn't reply, but gave me "that" look.

Gate your driveway. No trespassing signs at the appropriate intervals but not immediately visible from the road. (People see protective, think something of value). Plant thorny/stingy plants on obvious paths. Signs further down driveway “Guard dogs on duty” and signs getting more threatening further down. Don’t have a mailbox or name at the road. Cameras, sensors a good dog. “Permission? I don’t need no stinking permission!”
In all seriousness, I think “on the down low” is the way to go and what I plan to do when I leave suburbia. I’m old, bad knees and don’t have the time to grovel.

If you are a member of the working poor, doing a good job in an occupation that most consider useful and needed, follow the rules to the best of your ability but get yourself setup to live in a decent manner. Solar is smart.

If the county officials are decent, you will come out ok. In the county we live in (which is considered strict by many) it was the assessor people paying a company to look at satellite imagery and visiting to make the county more money, not code enforcement. My tax bill shot up and I had to call the assessor’s office to be more accurately taxed on what I had.

Stressful? You bet but that was years ago. Learn from neighbors if possible and read up on sound construction. Meet or exceed code for peace of mind and the safety of others coming on to your property As well as when you sell it in the future. Building my own place was such an interesting, satisfying experience. Hopefully it will be to you as well.

Good relations with anyone who might hear or see your goings on is good practice. Someone tattles on you during process and it will get messy. Then you can go with the ‘rent a zombie’ plan. But you already know this.

Out of sight, out of mind. No repeated calls to emergency services for health problems, they have no need to investigate. There's bigger fish to fry than a tiny home with panels in the sticks

Just make your property on the creepy side maybe a mannequin every so often dressed strangely if you do it right and make the movie deliverance look like a romantic comedy compared to your place, problem solved
On my remote mtn property , I keep many large vertical shooting range spatter targets stapled up to 2x4’s.there are different images and shapes set up in different spots coming up the 250 ft gravel drive way..the targets are all shot up with hundreds of holes ... add to that several hand painted KEEP OUT signs at the start of the driveway…blue tooth cams and about 15 motion lights…ropes tied to to locust posts spanning the driveway with surveyor ribbon dangling , one decent sized log laid across the drive way ( we just drive around it) and a few derelict looking old vehicles and RVs here and there…Now We’re Rollin…….

It’s real poor looking rural “Appalachian ish“ by design with its appropriate decor…
If creepy is the goal ,then I am really close to that…
it seems to make people pause and think…and go away…as no body approaches …
unless they are invited or it’s the EMS truck coming to save me , I don’t want to see anyone coming up my driveway….
J.

If you voted for the current leader, it's ok do as you please but if you voted for the other guy, then any thing you do is wrong.
Ya mean like wear a red ball cap with white letters on it and walk through a liberal collage knowing my knees won’t let me run like I used to……it wasnt wrong , but it wasn’t smart…My goodness at the foul language them youngsters say nowdays…
J.

Back