diy solar

diy solar

SolArk15k vs Eg4 18k

What percentage discount did you get for military? The current price to the general public on Signature Solar's website is $5199 each. Was your pricing including tax and shipping if it applies? I’m trying to understand your numbers. Prices offered to the general public without any discount codes there is only a $1800 difference in price. I was researching hybrid inverters to do my current setup and had narrowed it down to the 15k and the 18k. I literally had the cart setup about buy the 18kpv when I came across a discount code for Solar Sovereign that helped level the number at the time. So I understand where your thought process is at the moment. When I purchased my two 15Ks with the discount I got from Solar Sovereign the difference was only a 200-300 difference. But then again SS was selling the 18Kpv at a higher price at the time. The truth is they’re both good inverters. I’m working on setting up a head to head comparison at my house for these two inverters. I now have a 18Kpv waiting to be incorporated into my system so I can A/B compare them.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0197.jpeg
    IMG_0197.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 42
  • pricing 18k vs 15k.png
    pricing 18k vs 15k.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 12.33.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 12.33.41 PM.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 45
The Sol-Ark can accept up to 17K of solar, but only 15K is usable. The EG4 can accept up to 21K of solar, but only 18K is usable.

In grid tied standards the Sol-Ark is a 15K and the EG4 is a 12K inverter, based on their max output current on-grid.

In off grid standards, they are both 12K inverters if the sun is not shining and they are pulling from the batteries only. If the sun is shining the Sol-Ark can get the additional 3K boost up to 15K off-grid.

If you are using them for AC coupling a large existing system that is where the Sol-Ark really out shines the EG4. Sol-Ark has up to 19,200 of AC coupling capacity while EG4 only has 12K.

I will be creating a comparison video within the next 30 days on my new YouTube channel. Check me out. Rocky Broad Solar LLC
That is incorrect. The entire 18kW of PV input is usable (i.e. 14kW can go to the inverter while the other 4kW goes into the batteries).

What percentage discount did you get for military? The current price to the general public on Signature Solar's website is $5199 each. Was your pricing including tax and shipping if it applies? I’m trying to understand your numbers. Prices offered to the general public without any discount codes there is only a $1800 difference in price. I was researching hybrid inverters to do my current setup and had narrowed it down to the 15k and the 18k. I literally had the cart setup about buy the 18kpv when I came across a discount code for Solar Sovereign that helped level the number at the time. So I understand where your thought process is at the moment. When I purchased my two 15Ks with the discount I got from Solar Sovereign the difference was only a 200-300 difference. But then again SS was selling the 18Kpv at a higher price at the time. The truth is they’re both good inverters. I’m working on setting up a head to head comparison at my house for these two inverters. I now have a 18Kpv waiting to be incorporated into my system so I can A/B compare them.
Absolute tank of a system.. Very interested to hear your thoughts on the differences

Absolute tank of a system.. Very interested to hear your thoughts on the differences
I'm interested as well.... all in due time. I'm waiting on some materials to do the rebuild the right way. I also have to do some more testing on the full compliment of batteries with my current setup which is working flawlessly so far. I'm just in my first full deep cycle with the rack of EG4 LL V2 batteries in closed loop with the EG4 PowerPro wall batteries. Working on calibrating the BMS.... I'm also doing a longevity test with the full compliment of batteries. I had already run the system with grid as backup for 10 deep cycles with the EG4 Power Pro's alone. It's a process if you don't want to miss where the problem with any system. Everytime you add a new element you need to verify that its working in concert with what was there before.

Love current setup with the Sol-Ark 15ks. Here are a couple of pics of the current state of flux in my power room

Attachments

• 18k closer.jpg
    18k closer.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 33
  • full system 1.jpg
    full system 1.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 33
  • long shot.jpg
    long shot.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 34
That is incorrect. The entire 18kW of PV input is usable (i.e. 14kW can go to the inverter while the other 4kW goes into the batteries).
Can you rephrase that. I’m very interested in what this means.

I’ll have about 19k of pv array input. ;Maybe more bifacial but in roof mounts (doubtful tho) say I get 15k at once.

What if my loads are only 1k, where does 14k go how much will the batteries accept ? 12k? 1k loads ? 2k lost or net-metered?

Can you rephrase that. I’m very interested in what this means.

I’ll have about 19k of pv array input. ;Maybe more bifacial but in roof mounts (doubtful tho) say I get 15k at once.

What if my loads are only 1k, where does 14k go how much will the batteries accept ? 12k? 1k loads ? 2k lost or net-metered?
The answer depends on how the 18Kpv is configured.

One scenario is this:
Loads: 1K​
Battery: 13K (That is assuming the batteries will take the full 200A max charge current the 18K can do)​
Export to the grid: 1K​
Total: 15K​
Now let's assume your battery is full and not taking current:
Battery 0K​
Export to the grid: 12K (The max the inverter can put out)​
Total: 14K​

So what happens to the Last 1K? The short answer is that it never gets generated. If the MPPTs don't have a place to send the energy, they will start throttling the input current. This reduces the energy the panels produce.

Now lets look at a scenario with 7K of loads. (Again, this depends on how the inverter is configured)

Loads: 7K​
Battery: 8K (That is assuming the batteries will take the full 200A max charge current the 18K can do)​
Export to the grid: 0K​
Battery 0K​
Export to the grid: 8K​

Last edited:

One scenario is this:
Battery: 13K (That is assuming the batteries will take the full 200A max charge current the 18K can do)​
Battery 0K​

So what happens to the Last 1K? The short answer is that it never gets generated. If the MPPTs don't have a place to send the energy, they will start throttling the input current. This reduces the energy the panels produce.

Now lets look at a scenario with 7K of loads. (Again, this depends on how the inverter is configured)

Battery: 8K (That is assuming the batteries will take the full 200A max charge current the 18K can do)​
Battery 0K​
Export to the grid: 8K (The max the inverter can put out)​
Thank you for the explanation FilterGuy. This helps.

I have a separate question that I’ve been wondering, would you happen to know if there’s a efficient way to use up the battery from the 3xPowerpro for example is it more efficient to use up full 50 amps vs 25 or 20 amps ect. I’m asking as I’ll be charging my ev based off the pv power that gets generated at night

One scenario is this:
Battery 0K​

Battery 0K​
If the inverter maxes out at 12kW, then the max Load + Export is 12kW. The other 6kW can go to battery (bypasses the inverter).

One scenario is this:
Battery 0K​

Battery 0K​
I think he was talking about the 15k. If so the numbers would be a bit higher for these scenarios (i.e a full 15kW (minus AC load) continuous can be exported).

Have you installed it yet? I'm ready to buy and still can't decide between the two. I'm leaning toward the 18kpv because I live one hour from Signature Solar so I'm thinking I should buy everything there so it all works together. I'm a newbie at this solar system. Have a 3 panel system and some Harbor Freight ones for the electric gate and for some cameras, etc, but this will be a big system for me (30 panels on my new house). Then again Solar Sovereign is an hour away too.

One scenario is this:
Battery 0K​

Battery 0K​
Total:​

One scenario is this:
Battery 0K​

Battery 0K​
Thank you. Direct clear complete answer that helped me understand a little more.

Back