diy solar

diy solar

SOLARMAN / Sunsync Connect / Deye Stick Logger are garbage

kolek

village idiot
Normally, when you have a networked device like a router, you can connect to it and login to the admininstrative interface.

With Deye's stick logger, all you can do is login to it for the sole purpose of configuring it to connect to your home WiFi, so that DEYE engineers and other 3rd party software can access, login, and manage, and collect information from your inverter. You, on the other hand, don't get direct access.

There is no way for the user to view or access the inverter's management interface directly though the WIFI logger. Super irritating and stupid.

If you want to somehow get access to your device wirelessly, you have to sign up for an account (why?) with the crap Chinese software SOLARMAN (developed by Deye?), give SOLARMAN all your private information, your email address, your GPS coordinates, your home address, the serial numbers off all your Deye equiptment, the serial number of your WIFI logger, your company name, your phone number, and give permissions to their app to access your smartphone's real-time location information, and then theoretically after collecting all that information and establishing a connection to your equipment, they will give you some sort of information about your device.

And after all that nonsense, you still don't even have a direct connection to the device, you're connecting to a 3rd party service to access the information from a device sitting in your own house, which you should be able to just access directly.

And I still haven't been able to get SOLARMAN on my smartphone to work apparently because they can't grab my location information from my smartphone so they're refusing to let me connect my inverter inside the SOLARMAN app.

And on top of this Deye engineers won't help you with any settings, they just demand you hookup your logger so they can login to the device and manage it remotely. I don't like it. I realize a lot of people don't mind things like this, but I do.

I don't need Chinese companies, or any companies for that matter, establishing permanent access to devices on my home network.

It's Orwellian, it's time-wasting, and it's stupid.

/rant

Ok guys, thanks for listening and feel free to criticize my points here. Thank you for the opportunity.

Last edited:
I started with the solarman app which is not to friendly to use.
Changed to the Deye cloud app which is ok.
To control the inverter I use Solar assistant which is perfect for viewing and control.

@XO4001 Thank you for your message, I tried Solar Assistant and was unable to add my inverter or the logger as devices, again I think because my smartphone's location service is disfunctional, the Solar Assistant software is refusing to work. I can't think of another reason why it's failing. It will not "find" any devices and it seems like basically a clone of the SOLARMAN app, with slightly different graphics.

Take a look at all the data Deye demands in exchange for allowing people to use Deye Cloud:

2 questions for you:
1. do you have to set up a "plant" before Solar Assistant will allow you to add a device?
2. Were you using Deye Cloud app on your smartphone, or from their website?

Last edited:
@XO4001 Thank you for your message, I tried Solar Assistant and was unable to add my inverter or the logger as devices, again I think because my smartphone's location service is won't release a proper location, the Solar Assistant software is refusing to work. I can't think of another reason why it's failing. It will not "find" any devices and it seems like basically a clone of the SOLARMAN app, with slightly different graphics.

Take a look at all the data Deye demands in exchange for allowing people to use Deye Cloud:

2 questions for you:
1. do you have to set up a "plant" before Solar Assistant will allow you to add a device?
You can't just plug a cable into the pi running solar assistant and the inverter?

You can't just plug a cable into the pi running solar assistant and the inverter?

Are you referring to using a Raspberry Pi to connect, as discussed below?

Yep. Plug into that with the correct cable and it should work perfectly all the time.

@Crowz was not familiar with that option, thank you for that tip, I'll look into it. I do have a spare Raspberry Pi kicking around somewhere.

2 questions for you:
1. as Crowz said this has nothing to do with each other, it are 2 separate identities
2. I use the cloud app only for totals since SA is not keeping yearly totals and I'm not worried about the info that they need to give me access to the app on my phone.
Once you have SA up and running you don't need any other app it is just perfect.
You need a special cable for your Deye to connect with the PI and run SA

edit: And ofcourse you have to buy the software and instal on the PI

Last edited:
Back