diy solar

diy solar

Something wrong..

Truck driver

Ok.. RV (trailer) came with a small system. I have upgrade all the hardware (panels, controller, inverter and batteries) but not the wires.

system consists of: 4 400w Trina panels, 4 100Ah BB lithiums, Victron 150\100, BMV712 smart, CERBO with touch 50 and a Xantrec 200 ProWatt. Everything works and does charge the batteries, BUT only once ever (last summer) it peaked at 1012w. I wasn't working on it or had made any recent changes to it. There are 1600w of panels, but they don't get much over 800 in any one day.. Could smaller gauge PV wires slow down getting more watts\volts..? The inverter wires heat up (after a few minutes of trying to pull 500w) because they're too small. (original inverter was 1200w) I'll share some pix. PS. The Lower controller and the Multiplus are NOT connected. I NEED an electrician to install the MP.

20230413_130733.jpg20230508_134356.jpgall time high.jpg20230214_134524.jpg

Are the panels always setup leaned against the rv like in your photo or were they usually roof mounted?

If the latter, the flat angle could be your low output alone.

What AWG wire are the panels using? Are they wired in series, parallel or some combo?

Are the panels always setup leaned against the rv like in your photo or were they usually roof mounted?

What AWG wire are the panels using? Are they wired in series, parallel or some combo?
Yes.. Always there and tilted. OH..! I tilt them like that because when the sun crosses the sky.. they are pointing at the sun when there's no mid day shading.. Today's input.. Panel AWG is 8ga I think.. Wired in series right now. Panel at the front is also connected into a branch connector for the morning sun, even though it's well shaded.

Attachments

• Annotation 2023-05-10 180854.jpg
    Annotation 2023-05-10 180854.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230413_174021.jpg
    20230413_174021.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230413_174000.jpg
    20230413_174000.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 17
Wired in series right now.
Have you tested each panel individually with a multimeter?

Panel at the front is also connected into a branch connector for the morning sun, even though it's well shaded.
Not sure what this means. Do you mean you connect the panel in front only when it has full sun? And the rest of the time it’s shaded and therefore disconnected? If so, then you only have 1200w of panels most of the time, but even still 800w seems a bit low.

AFAIK, it’s rare to get full 100% output even under ideal conditions. This is why people over panel to make up for this reality.

Have you tested each panel individually with a multimeter?

Not sure what this means. Do you mean you connect the panel in front only when it has full sun? And the rest of the time it’s shaded and therefore disconnected? If so, then you only have 1200w of panels most of the time, but even still 800w seems a bit low.

AFAIK, it’s rare to get full 100% output even under ideal conditions. This is why people over panel to make up for this reality.
Yes. Each one is putting out full voltage..44.? on all. Front panel is always plugged in.. all on one array, just turned it to capture morning sun. Does not get over voltage error.. I don't expect 1450 watts.. but at least 1000 to 1200 constantly.

In that pic I see what looks like scattered shadows from tree branches. Are there always some shadows on them?
How far north are you? That seems like a very steep angle.

The front panel is a Trina 250w. 4 smaller panels are just a battery maintainer for the battery behind them. NOT connected to main system. Panel by back door is also 250w and keep my Ecoflow Delta charged.

Attachments

• 20230508_165837.jpg
    20230508_165837.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230508_165850.jpg
    20230508_165850.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 19
Is something actually using the power?` If the battery is full and you aren't using any power from the inverter it isn't going to show any power coming from the panels.

In that pic I see what looks like scattered shadows from tree branches. Are there always some shadows on them?
How far north are you? That seems like a very steep angle.
Yes.. shading for most of the day.. enough to matter.. until mid afternoon.. then it's DIRECT for about 2 or 3 hrs.. see the pic of the chart. I will add more tilt to them as summer is almost here.

Is something actually using the power?` If the battery is full and you aren't using any power from the inverter it isn't going to show any power coming from the panels.
Yes.. A laptop and a couple of low power devices. Batteries are at 100% now and getting topped off.. but will turn on laptop in a couple of hours and SOC will be about 75 to 80% in the morning.

I would suggest reading this:
And consider putting yours in parallel, it seems shady where you are.

That being said I have about 1000 W of panels in parallel in sunny colorado and have only seen them peak around 700. Probably going to throw another one into the mix.
Really though for lithium batteries being at 70-80% inn the morning isn't bad. Do you turn off your inverter when you sleep?

Found a tilt angle app. Panels are now at 45 degrees. Panels have been tilted beside trailer for the past year. I also just changed a battery setting in the Victron connect app.. was at 85 and now set at 100. We'll see what change happens tomorrow. Not my land, so I'm limited on what branches I can cut.

I would suggest reading this:
And consider putting yours in parallel, it seems shady where you are.

That being said I have about 1000 W of panels in parallel in sunny colorado and have only seen them peak around 700. Probably going to throw another one into the mix.
Really though for lithium batteries being at 70-80% inn the morning isn't bad. Do you turn off your inverter when you sleep?
Did you see the picture of the panels that got just over 1000w ONE day..? Mine SHOULD still get 1000w consistently.. which is why I'm here. Yeah.. not bad.. BUT.. it shouldn't take all day to recharge from 80 to 100%. Todays max was 727. :(

While you likely not reach more than 75% of panel ratings except in rare occasions I do see one aspect of the panels placement that can reduce output. Being placed on the ground allows the bottom edge to easily have things shade it. Your two pictures illustrate this of snow in the Winter and grass in the Summer. It does not take much shade covered areas to really reduce what you can get.

Ok.. RV (trailer) came with a small system. I have upgrade all the hardware (panels, controller, inverter and batteries) but not the wires.

system consists of: 4 400w Trina panels, 4 100Ah BB lithiums, Victron 150\100, BMV712 smart, CERBO with touch 50 and a Xantrec 200 ProWatt. Everything works and does charge the batteries, BUT only once ever (last summer) it peaked at 1012w. I wasn't working on it or had made any recent changes to it. There are 1600w of panels, but they don't get much over 800 in any one day.. Could smaller gauge PV wires slow down getting more watts\volts..? The inverter wires heat up (after a few minutes of trying to pull 500w) because they're too small. (original inverter was 1200w) I'll share some pix. PS. The Lower controller and the Multiplus are NOT connected. I NEED an electrician to install the MP.

View attachment 148682View attachment 148681View attachment 148683View attachment 148684
Can you post the specs on the panels?
What gauge wire feed the controller?
500W in series on those panels should be under 6A, so shouldnt be heating up your wire.

Can you post the specs on the panels?
What gauge wire feed the controller?
500W in series on those panels should be under 6A, so shouldnt be heating up your wire.
PV wire gauge is 10 awg, so the wires are a bit smaller (as seen in one of the pix) I'm guessing 12..? I have touched the PV wires coming from the controller when it was charging before (500+ watts) and they weren't warm..

View attachment 148682View attachment 148681View attachment 148683View attachment 148684
2S2P?

I would suggest trying mounting the panels a bit higher. You could use your trailer for a simple mount structure to lean onto and retain the area occupied and the panel's angle while keeping the panels dry and away from near-ground shading.

mount.jpg

Edit: missed the part with PV voltage screenshot.

Last edited:
Wired in series right now. Panel at the front is also connected into a branch connector for the morning sun, even though it's well shaded.
The second pic in post #3 shows that you have 2 panels wired in parallel, twice. There are 4 wires going into the RV from what i can see.
Are these 4 wires then connected in parallel again in the RV?
Panel at the front is also connected into a branch connector for the morning sun, even though it's well shaded.
Is this also connected in parallel to the 4 panels on the RV side?

I think we'd need to know exactly how you have these wired to recommend a better/best configuration. With so many parallel connections, you may be doing some serious voltage clipping (a result of connecting mismatched panels/arrays in parallel).

Back