diy solar

diy solar

Sorotec REVO II 5,5Kw / EASUN( AXPERT/POWLAND) IGRID VE II 5,5KW

ich have it only on Solar!
Strange!!

What are your charge settings?

2022-10-4 7-29-50.jpg

I would probably set the AC to 0 and see how it respond.

The Revo II does have a strange bug.

Sometimes it saves the settings, or it shows like it saved, but it doesn't respond to the new settings.

Especially setting your "user" for battery.
To set your own lithium settings, you should first select lead acid.
And safe,exit.
Why? After you choose "battery less operation" this is the only setting seen as active battery.

Why safe and exit? Dunno...
Works for me best this way.

After lead acid, choose lithium,safe, exit configuration screen, reboot the whole unit.

After this,you can choose "user" and your own voltages.

You should be able to tell if the previous step went OK.
If it didn't "accept" or properly stored the lithium setting (S15) it will charge to 58v.

Some users have complained about this.

Lithium isn't bad, it won't fully charge S16, but also not easily overcharge (!)

Anyways...
It doesn't always store the settings that you made,and this can be a pain as it does show the correct values.

Force "factory settings" a few times, reboot.
Disconnect all power.
(For me easy as I have breakers for each power in or out)

Perhaps update the display firmware (this will reset also all settings)

Discharge "BUS" with a resistor sometimes helps.

It's a crazy bug as not all Revo II are affected.
I have one that does crazy like this sometimes.

And changing a setting to let it "hold" can be a real pain in the -peep-

I have seen this only for be with the battery voltage setting.

It would make sense you are experiencing the same bug, as you have solar only, but it is using only / mostly AC.

What happens when you turn off AC?
Don't let it feed from the grid?

If it then works correctly,it would seem your Revo II "thinks" it's still in AC mode, while it has been set to Solar.

If anyone wonders why I still have 2021 firmware... Hahaha...
This should give a hint...
It's working stable now for over a year, without hickups.

Don't change a winning team.

Especially when you know what a hassle it was to get it set up correctly.

nd I learned, it is important to shut down the complete system and start it again after changing the parameters and than to wait and lock.
Bye the way, my answer to the shunts and amperemeters???

nd I learned, it is important to shut down the complete system and start it again after changing the parameters and than to wait and lock.
Bye the way, my answer to the shunts and amperemeters??
This first one (D69-3062) does maximal 600v and has an 20A shunt build in.
Screenshot_20221006_184406.jpg

2022-10-6 18-45-44.jpg
Second one is standard max 100 volt and can use "every" standard DC shunt, depending on your wishes for ampere rating.

Looking at the sticker in the back it says 600V.
I don't remember, bought a few years ago, and thought it was max 100v. This one uses external shunt 100mv drop, if I remember right.

Alix, Amazon, eBay choose your poison hahaha:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221006_184406.jpg
    Screenshot_20221006_184406.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 2
Hello there! I have 6pcs of EAsun SMR II 5.5Kw (sorry!!). They run in pairs in a 3-phase setup. I have at the moment 27pcs of 550W panels divided over L1, L2 and L3 inverters (9 each). The full system will have 9x6 panels (9 for each MPPT) which is the maximum possible. The system works as it should. I run the PUL operation mode at the moment. The batteries are 5 x 200Ah TAICO 51.2V capable of storing about 50kWh.

My problem is that there seem to be no accurate software to monitor production data from the system in whole. Watchpower only sees the 6 inverters as 6 singles and are not able to see them as a 3-phase large inverter. So it is hard to follow the production. Also I would like to be able to time/steer switch of operation mode via RS232. But that is as i found out, not possible. Is there any possible way to force a change of mode? Either by manipulating the circuit boards or by replacing the controller board with another one from Sorotec?

What I look for is a way to charge the batteries when the electricity is cheap (here in Sweden normally around 00-04). Since the inverters have chargers built in I would like to use them since that would be neat.

And of course it would be nice to track the solar production with a little precision.

Any suggestions or ideas? Or do I need to replace the SMR II? And if so, with what?

About the batteries; the settings used now will let the batteries operate from 95% SOC down to 30%SOC. At 30% the batteries will no longer be used, and they will start to charge from a mix of utility grid and solar. Is that span reasonable?

Looking forward to hear from You!

Kind regards

Sebastian in Sweden

Good morning Sebastian,

That's an impressive setup.

I have 3 Revo II systems, on a 50 kWh battery (3 X BYD 260ah, one Eve 280AH)

No grid here.

The Revo II is a fine little gadget, for its price.
Absolutely not the best, and not the worse either!

Some of the things you need to be aware of:

- The internal shunts are crap.
Not accurate at all.

- besides not being accurate, it's "modified"..
MPPT will eat the first 100 watt from the solar panels before it will start to work as MPPT. Maximal output is 42-4400 watt, the display shows 5500.....
Up till 3500 it's fairly accurate.

If connected in any wat to the grid, this connection eats 160W. Per unit, always (24/7)
No idea why, and as I live off grid, I can not confirm this, besides that many users have reported this.

With 6 units that's almost a kWh drain every hour.

Add the 75 watt for being turned on and act as inverter, roughly 0.5 kWh..

That's thirsty.

Own energy consumption of 75W is "standard", even Victron 3.2kw uses 50w from the battery with AC enabled (and not used, switched off breaker)

The lifepo4 settings, I would change.
15 to 85 or 90%.
95% is kinda high, as is 30%(!!)

For many installation settings to lithium is good enough.
Strangely the Revo has only S15 as profile (not specifically mentioned in their documentation) not the now standard used S16.

Reason? At time of development they sold S15 lithium battery packs...
4-5 years ago this was the normal configuration to replace 48v lead acid.

Make sure that the settings are enacted as sometimes it does safe, show the correct settings, but still uses the old ones (what would be lead acid as standard profile, 58.4v)

There are better units then the Sorotec Revo.
Outback and Victron.

Grid connect without battery,a whole long list.

Grid Connected with own battery packs, also a long list.
Tesla powerwall
Huawei power
Again, long list.
While the Huawei is impressive on paper and real life performance, you are bounded to Huawei batteries, 800v (if I recall correctly, can also be 600v)

Besides the price (compared to "standard" China cells), making my own 800v battery and being able to write about it (not fried to crisp), I find that dangerous high voltage!!

Huawei does have 3 phase sets.
I guess Tesla will have also.

Victron and Outback will have high quality inverters, lasting decades.
Price for 5.5kw inverter .. (€2500)
Then you need MPPT, (€750-1000) communication unit, and a whole lot more.

Expect about €4000 to replace one 5.500W Revo II.

You will get all the bells and whistles working, good feedback what is really happening.
Victron smart shunts are legendary ...

Remote control and full insights.

€24000 compared to €4000 (?) Now...
That is a lot of money.

Usually buying a few additional solar panels and larger battery to compensate the energy consumption of the Revo, and accept that you will need external shunts to get accurate information (Victron smart shunts for the battery)

Will save you like 15-17.500 euro.
Not sure if it will last decades...
(The Revo II)

Tip: buy one Revo II for swap.
Today !!!

In this setup, all firmware version need to be identical.
While you can update display and MPPT firmware, the controller boards need to be bought new if there is a mismatch.

In other words, if one unit fails in 2-3 months, your whole system will be down, untill you replace 5 boards and one whole unit, because the new unit will have different controller board firmware....

(Okay, you still would be able to use the 5 still working, waiting for the 6 (!!) replacement boards.
Replacement boards aren't guaranteed the same version as your replacement unit.
So you need to replace all 6.
And update all mppt/ display firmware.
(Tip: buy the J-Link from Sorotec as most China clones aren't able to flash the MPPT, leaving it dead till you have a good J-Link unit and reflash it)

Having a spare unit will prevent the trouble at that time, give you time to repair and if needed, order enough parts to be fully operational again. (7 boards in that setup, + the parts that smoked)

For the price it are great hybrids.
Don't expect to get the same level of insight as you will get with Victron.
Only the MPPT (5500W) is already 750-1000 euro....
You do get higher quality for this :)

ich checked and tested the both devices. Now I stopped, cause I am so said about it. Always I have to keep care about the system and try to change the parameters. But now I stopped and disconnected both REVO. I connect my EnerDC Nitro again and switched the both strings in parallel. It is not optimal, cause one is east and the other south side, but it works after define the parameters in the inverter. It also work ON Grid and take power only from the Grid, when the load is to big for it self. I try now to sell the both REVO and after this I look for another inverter. Maybe one with min. 8 kW and two MPPT inputs, for working On Grid / maybe also Feed Into Grid or for two inverters with the same futures with 5,5 kW each for switch in parallel. Thanks for your help anyway!!! Maybe you know people they are looking for REVO ??? Kind Regards Markus

Good morning Sebastian,

That's an impressive setup.

I have 3 Revo II systems, on a 50 kWh battery (3 X BYD 260ah, one Eve 280AH)

No grid here.

The Revo II is a fine little gadget, for its price.
Absolutely not the best, and not the worse either!

Some of the things you need to be aware of:

- The internal shunts are crap.
Not accurate at all.

- besides not being accurate, it's "modified"..
MPPT will eat the first 100 watt from the solar panels before it will start to work as MPPT. Maximal output is 42-4400 watt, the display shows 5500.....
Up till 3500 it's fairly accurate.

If connected in any wat to the grid, this connection eats 160W. Per unit, always (24/7)
No idea why, and as I live off grid, I can not confirm this, besides that many users have reported this.

With 6 units that's almost a kWh drain every hour.

Add the 75 watt for being turned on and act as inverter, roughly 0.5 kWh..

That's thirsty.

Own energy consumption of 75W is "standard", even Victron 3.2kw uses 50w from the battery with AC enabled (and not used, switched off breaker)

The lifepo4 settings, I would change.
15 to 85 or 90%.
95% is kinda high, as is 30%(!!)

For many installation settings to lithium is good enough.
Strangely the Revo has only S15 as profile (not specifically mentioned in their documentation) not the now standard used S16.

Reason? At time of development they sold S15 lithium battery packs...
4-5 years ago this was the normal configuration to replace 48v lead acid.

Make sure that the settings are enacted as sometimes it does safe, show the correct settings, but still uses the old ones (what would be lead acid as standard profile, 58.4v)

There are better units then the Sorotec Revo.
Outback and Victron.

Grid connect without battery,a whole long list.

Grid Connected with own battery packs, also a long list.
Tesla powerwall
Huawei power
Again, long list.
While the Huawei is impressive on paper and real life performance, you are bounded to Huawei batteries, 800v (if I recall correctly, can also be 600v)

Besides the price (compared to "standard" China cells), making my own 800v battery and being able to write about it (not fried to crisp), I find that dangerous high voltage!!

Huawei does have 3 phase sets.
I guess Tesla will have also.

Victron and Outback will have high quality inverters, lasting decades.
Price for 5.5kw inverter .. (€2500)
Then you need MPPT, (€750-1000) communication unit, and a whole lot more.

Expect about €4000 to replace one 5.500W Revo II.

You will get all the bells and whistles working, good feedback what is really happening.
Victron smart shunts are legendary ...

Remote control and full insights.

€24000 compared to €4000 (?) Now...
That is a lot of money.

Usually buying a few additional solar panels and larger battery to compensate the energy consumption of the Revo, and accept that you will need external shunts to get accurate information (Victron smart shunts for the battery)

Will save you like 15-17.500 euro.
Not sure if it will last decades...
(The Revo II)

Tip: buy one Revo II for swap.
Today !!!

In this setup, all firmware version need to be identical.
While you can update display and MPPT firmware, the controller boards need to be bought new if there is a mismatch.

In other words, if one unit fails in 2-3 months, your whole system will be down, untill you replace 5 boards and one whole unit, because the new unit will have different controller board firmware....

(Okay, you still would be able to use the 5 still working, waiting for the 6 (!!) replacement boards.
Replacement boards aren't guaranteed the same version as your replacement unit.
So you need to replace all 6.
And update all mppt/ display firmware.
(Tip: buy the J-Link from Sorotec as most China clones aren't able to flash the MPPT, leaving it dead till you have a good J-Link unit and reflash it)

Having a spare unit will prevent the trouble at that time, give you time to repair and if needed, order enough parts to be fully operational again. (7 boards in that setup, + the parts that smoked)

For the price it are great hybrids.
Don't expect to get the same level of insight as you will get with Victron.
Only the MPPT (5500W) is already 750-1000 euro....
You do get higher quality for this :)
Hello Frank!

Thanks for Your reply! I will read it carefully tonight. Right now I am actually setting foundation for my 4th string of nine panels. Have to make use of the nice weather we have today on the Swedish west coast. I just wanted to quickly comment about the connection to grid. I have at the point of entry to the building a very precis metering function. Right now the house runs on 100% batteries + solar. At this time the inverters uses 4.5W per phase. Later today I will install the same type of meter on the load panel of the system. I will then be able to see in great detail what the losses will be when just running from the grid, but still passing through the inverters. It will be interesting.

Kind regards

Sebastian

Under construction. But now fully up and running.
20220927_164133.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Frank!

Thanks for Your reply! I will read it carefully tonight. Right now I am actually setting foundation for my 4th string of nine panels. Have to make use of the nice weather we have today on the Swedish west coast. I just wanted to quickly comment about the connection to grid. I have at the point of entry to the building a very precis metering function. Right now the house runs on 100% batteries + solar. At this time the inverters uses 4.5W per phase. Later today I will install the same type of meter on the load panel of the system. I will then be able to see in great detail what the losses will be when just running from the grid, but still passing through the inverters. It will be interesting.

Kind regards

Sebastian

Under construction. But now fully up and running.
View attachment 115639
Impressive, not Revo II inverters.

Might be other OEM from Sorotec, not sure.

Revo II have a green bar on the front, and communication wires at the bottom. This one on the side :)

Your AC cables look 2.5, that is usually rated max 3500 watt.

I used 6mm, as I bought enough for the Solar setup, and had enough leftover.
Besides, copper cables are way cheaper here in Thailand.
So cheap that it might not be pure copper...

6 units... Probably need earplugs when entering this room?,

The AC are all 6mm2. Batteries 50mm2. Pv 6mm2. No these inverters are unfortunately Easun SMR II. They are manufactured by Sorotec ( I think).

Rgds

Sebastian

Last edited:
Good!
Thick enough cables and wires!

EASUN iSolar SMR II Inverter 5.5KW = REVO-WM II 5.5KW

If you search this forum, you will find that these don't work so well with generators, unless it's a generator special for providing power to inverters.

Most generators fluctuate in frequency like 45-55hz, something the unit can't keep up with, and magic smoke.

Best way always is to "accept" all the conversion losses, and power a DC LiFePO4 charger to provide backup power.

As trying to charge the battery with the Revo via a generator...
Will probably blow the unit :-(

Side step, but might be important for you as it is a really neat installation, that has costed a lot of money.

I can understand that you might have the idea to be fully independent, and use Backup generator.

What is perfect, as long as the Generator isn't connected to the Revo.

It needs a stable MHz output, and most "standard" units don't provide this.

For using equipment like welder, microwave and refrigerator, some fluctuations in frequency and voltage isn't a big issue.

Your inverters need stable frequency, or its in mismatch and... Magic smoke

If I remember correctly 0.3 Hz per second maximal variation.

Hi Guys
I need your help, I purchased 2 EASUN REVO 2 units to work in parallel and they sent me the parallel pcb's seperately.Inside the package there is a data ribbon cable and a 2pole small cable with white connectors.
No instructions on how to install into revo 2.Can somebody please provide instructions on how to connect the cables to the inverter pcb which cable connects where.Also does it need some kind of programming to see the parallel pcb????

Hello and welcome, I think this attachment will help you to solve your problem.
You must open the front big cover with the display, and if your 2 pin cable is to short, you can use to mainboard CN2 (to CAN) and if the CN2 is busy you can change to CAN with to COM, this is power cable for WIFI board.
And after that in the menu you could chose Paralell mode, please read the manual on the Revo II unit.

Attachments

• VE Parallel Installation Guide.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
Thank you @Codename for sharing this PDF.

Sorotec is a bit too over active with their breaker ratings.. (page 4)

The 5.5kw unit is at the AC side in equipped with an 25A resettable fuse.

Placing in front of this an 50A breaker doesn't make sense.

50A*220V = 11000 watt, for an 5500 watt inverter, that can not pass through more watt then it's maximal rating.

While the 5.500 unit can handle a short peak up to 7000(? I don't recall exactly the peak) Watt when it draws energy from the battery and solar, from the grid 5500 is the absolute max. (According to Sorotec)

A friend who made 3 phase installation found out that this 5500 watt often isn't reached, and that the resettable fuse stops between 5000 and 5500 watt.

Now obviously one can bypass the fuse, or replace it with an 30A version, and this probably will go all right for some time....
You are exceeding the factory specifications, extended period of (close to) 5500 watt already makes the fuse stop.

Eventually you will heat up too much the unit and things will stop forever.

The Revo II isn't intended for continuous peak, 3500 Watt is normally (in environment of +/- 25c) the max. (For periods extending 20-30 minutes of load)

Peak of 5500 is dependent of temperature, and duration.
As long as you load it to max for 10-15 minutes at a time, no problems.

And face it...
How often do you really need 5500 watt for longer then 15 minutes?
Water heaters (bathtub/shower, pool) + room heaters are known thirsty.

If you need them powered longer then the 15 minutes and the load is getting close to peak, better parallel 2 or more units to share this load.

Besides this most energy thirsty equipment in a home isn't used for "that" long time.

Hi, there is many questions about the working of the REVO II series from Sorotec ( same model as EASUN IGRID VE II ).

After many questions to the Engineers, i finally got mine to work.

General Function - This inverter doesn´t like to work with a PV array with Open Circuit Voltage over 300volts. Be sure you set and configure your array to be under 300volts.

CT Limiting Function
- PV Open Circuit Voltage below 300volts
- having a CT sensor 100A/0,333volts
- The CT sensor must be in the correct direction, load displays ( - ) Watts, feed in displays ( + ) Watts. if wrong, just change the direction of the sensor.
- Working Mode - AC+PV with CT sensor Selected
- Ongrid Mode - Set to OFF

You the can calibrate you CT sensor in the other menu to match you load correctly.

Battery
If you are working with LIFEPO4 cells, in the battery menu , select USER and define Bulk and Float

If you have batteries, and you select AC+PV the battery will act as a UPS, only discharges if the AC power goes off. From my findings the PV only powers loads and batter, it will feed the grid with the remaining power.
I tryed pushing more loads and it got it from the grid, not from the battery, so i assume it is backup only mode.

I also got a software for battery voltage and amps calibration but i haven't tested it yet.

Monitoring
For monitoring, i use Jblance code in a raspberry pi. I got the protocol from this inverter and JBlance manage to put it in the software and it is working fine.

you can use Wifi Logger and the app works ok, but i as looking for more detail, that is what i get from graphana in home assistant.

Any help i can give about this inverter, just ask.
Did you get the RS232 communication to work for setting the parameters in the inverter, we can read parameters, but not change them over the RS-232 line.

It also seems to have a wifi H/W, but we can't find any settings to activate it ?

Best regards
Watch-Out

Did you get the RS232 communication to work for setting the parameters in the inverter, we can read parameters, but not change them over the RS-232 line.

It also seems to have a wifi H/W, but we can't find any settings to activate it ?

Best regards
Watch-Out
Hi,

No. I can only read setting. to change is only possible in the inverter screen. This if was given from sorotec.

Best regards
Watch-Out
WiFi is a dongle, as far as I know 2 different types can be used.

I have them but don't use it as it's so inaccurate.

I even deinstalled the app :)

If you need I can look into what brands are available.

Information is the same as is available via RS232, and read only

As trying to charge the battery with the Revo via a generator...
Will probably blow the unit :-(
What is perfect, as long as the Generator isn't connected to the Revo.
Hello Frank!
I've already seen the post on this forum about REVO VMII inverters blowing up while connected to generator... Is there any other source of info you're referring to?
I live off grid and previously used ISOLAR SMV 3KVA 24V unit to charge batteries up during winter period without any issues. Gen is 6kW 3 phase pure sine. A month ago I finally wired everything up to run on ISOLAR SMR II 5KVA 48V (which is revo). So I am eager to learn more about this...
At least I know I am going to light fireworks outdoors...
Thanks!

6 kw 3 phase, 2 kW per phase.
And being 3 phase, fluctuations in the phases would fry the generator itself.

In your case your probably good and your generator is suited to serve as alternatieve AC source.

Most backup generators are single phase, and for normal use not a problem.
But as source for inverter, it fluctuate too much.

If you Google a bit you find loads of information about this.

Thing is, for normal use its fine, this situation... The fluctuations is (can be) a problem.

Back