diy solar

diy solar

Source for braided busbars

HaldorEE

Solar Addict
I found a company that makes custom ground straps in the USA that looks to be perfect to use as busbars for the 280 AH cells. The cells came with solid busbars, but to be honest they look a bit wimpy and I would much rather have braided straps to ensure there are no shear stresses on the terminals.

For cell to cell connection, 3/4" wide x 3" copper braided straps with 1/4" Ring Terminals should work. Since I am making a U shaped battery I also needed a 3/4" x 3.5" strap to join the two half batteries at the point the cells reverse direction (the "free" busbars that came with the cells are two short to make this connection).

3/4" braided strap should have sufficient ampacity for my application, but they are so cheap at about $3 each, that I plan on doubling up each one. Total cost for twelve 3" straps and two 3.5" straps was $43. Free shipping too. No way on earth (pun intended) could I be bothered with making my own straps when I can buy them premade for so little. It is hard to buy such a short amount of braid, which means I would have spent a more than $40 just buying braid.

Attachments

• GroundStrap.jpg
    GroundStrap.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Decided this wasn't a good idea after all. I was reading the thread about boat usage and there were specific cautions to not use braid due to concerns about corrosion. I have a piece of 1/4" x 2" silver flashed copper busbar. I am cutting that up instead. Definitely enough copper in that.

If I’m not mistaken your link shows tinned copper braid?

Corrosion should not be an issue.

Back