diy solar

diy solar

Sourcing 60 cell PV panels

Joacchim

A tree recently fell on my barn roof and destroyed 15 of the PV modules mounted up there (see photo). 9 of the 15 were Talesun 260W panels about 65" X 40", and those are the ones I'm looking to replace (the lower array of 14 in the photo). However it seems no one is making panels that size anymore, and anything longer than 65" will overhang my roof edge. Can anyone suggest a source for similarly sized panels? I need 14 total, max 40Voc, max 5kw array size, and the critical dimension is 65" x 40". The originals were 1-3/8" thick but the existing hardware (which is salvageable) will accommodate up to 1-1/2", I think. Thanks in advance.Note I'm new to this forum and just noticed there's a subforum for used panels. I will check that out also.20230826_165834.jpg

Call these guys and see what they have. Maybe these?

Those Hyundai 305s look like a decent match. Probably leave some current on the table but whatever

Also you don’t need the mounting height to match on adjacent panels, I know some people that stack a spacer of compatible metal on the shorter side. But note this will typically require you to add a grounding lug onto the solar panel since the spacer is not listed to bond the panel.

Also you need to check whether the old clamps are listed for reuse. I think IronRidge can be used a few times but UniRac cannot

Those Hyundai 305s look like a decent match. Probably leave some current on the table but whatever

Also you don’t need the mounting height to match on adjacent panels, I know some people that stack a spacer of compatible metal on the shorter side. But note this will typically require you to add a grounding lug onto the solar panel since the spacer is not listed to bond the panel.

Also you need to check whether the old clamps are listed for reuse. I think IronRidge can be used a few times but UniRac cannot
Uh Oh! I reused a Unirac system. It seemed fine, but...

Uh Oh! I reused a Unirac system. It seemed fine, but...
The question is around how effectively it will make a bond and stay on properly.

Since I’m obviously an expert after installing 20 mid clamps and 20 universal end clamps, my feelings are:
- Mid clamp is perfectly fine from a mechanical angle to be reused.
- Universal end clamp does not attach in a secure fashion after the first use (can’t torque to spec). I think the bonding spike is actually doing a tiny bit of stabilizing work.
- If you use a multimeter or have a couple of new ones on the panel mixed in with the old ones, there is a higher chance of being OK. These things are intended to be slammed on without any meausuribg. Just torque to spec.

I remember someone said that 340 watt is the highest wattage 60 cell panel on the market. Maybe this. https://www.solarelectricsupply.com/solaria-power-xt-340r-bd-solar-panel
If they are going in series with the old modules then higher power will not be valuable. It’s likely a lot of the extra gain is from increased current vs voltage compared with the old panels. But the extra current will be blocked unless optimizers are used on the string. I believe with TIGOs you would need to add them to at least all the old ones on the strings, and it will enable 20% more harvest from the higher power new modules. Worth it? ?‍♂️

EDIT: never mind these are higher voltage, maybe they are half or third cut and arranged in a way that boosts voltage

Call these guys and see what they have. Maybe these?
Those look like a pretty good fit. A little long but maybe the best I can expect to find, unless someone turns up some used ones that are the right size. Thanks!

If they are going in series with the old modules then higher power will not be valuable. It’s likely a lot of the extra gain is from increased current vs voltage compared with the old panels. But the extra current will be blocked unless optimizers are used on the string. I believe with TIGOs you would need to add them to at least all the old ones on the strings, and it will enable 20% more harvest from the higher power new modules. Worth it? ?‍♂️

EDIT: never mind these are higher voltage, maybe they are half or third cut and arranged in a way that boosts voltage
These will totally replace the old array so no worries about dissimilar panel voltages in this array. I plan to use the good panels that were left from this lower array, in the upper 2 row array, which are all AC panels with Enphase M215 microinverters.

Sorry to admit this but I won't have any qualms about reusing the old mounting clamps. I don't live in California;)

Sorry to admit this but I won't have any qualms about reusing the old mounting clamps. I don't live in California;)
Hey, I reuse clamps too, based on my own risk analysis and how much redundancy of bonding I have left.

I do keep some extras of those Universal End Clamps around since they are not able to lock on without play after even one reuse. I figure if it can jiggle a little bit after my best efforts to secure them (and I can't torque them past a certain point after the first install) then it ain't going to last a decade.

Another good option, although the width would only allow 2 rows of 6 in portrait mode instead of my original 7 across. But the added power (340 vs. 260W each) entirely compensates. Thanks!!!
You are right. I didn't catch the difference in dimensions. I also only want 65" x 39" inch 60 cell panels, so that I can easily replace should there be a problem.

I bought some used panels from a local solar installer that advertised in Facebook marketplace. These were panels that were removed to upgrade someone's roof.
Still fine, working great. 255w Trina's.

And they had piles and piles of them.

Have you checked craigslist in your area?

Why are you so determined to get 60 cell panels? Size? Voltage? OCD?

Just a quick search...

Have you checked craigslist in your area?

Why are you so determined to get 60 cell panels? Size? Voltage? OCD?

Just a quick search...
My original post reads in part "anything longer than 65" will overhang my roof edge." They don't have to be 60 cells but most panels with more than 60 are longer than 65".

After reading your post I did check Craigslist in my area and found some Trina Solar panels that look like they'd be a perfect fit. Thanks.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/d/westlake-trina-270w-solar-panel-used/7659533776.html

First time Craig's list user. Seller was very cautious. My friends wanted to know if the panels were being stored in the basement ;).

Brought them home yesterday. Seller helped check OC voltages. Also got some rail and hardware from him. All around good experience.20231011_101510.jpg

Back