diy solar

diy solar

Sourcing battery POSTS for LIFEPO4 build.

bostonbuzz

Howdy folks. Great to be here.
I'm building a 2 x 100ah 12v battery system for a boat.

I have sourced just about every component EXCEPT a nice battery post to attach to the top of my 2 battery boxes (I also still have to figure out the best waterproof box and how to keep the battery from moving around inside of it).

These are the ones WIll uses, although I don't know where he gets them and they are the only ones I can find anywhere.

Does anyone have a source for nicer batter posts? I can't even find just the plain jane metal cylinder shaped ones that are typically on a boat/car that accept this terminal, although I think the bolt-on kind would be ideal. I'm going to use a 100A load on each battery (just to start the engine for 1-3s).

Is there some small component source I don't know of? Also, I'm looking for some thick bus bars as well.

Also, to contribute something, here is a great place to get marine wire. http://www.bestboatwire.com/

Might be better to cut the conventional battery terminal off the cable and crimp on a heavy flat lug that bolts directly to the battery. Less parts = greater reliability and lower resistance.

Will did a load test on a battery with the terminals you linked to. They got very hot over the duration of the test.

Good to know. What was the load you tested with those terminals when they got hot and for how long?

It was in one of Will's videos. I can't seem to find that video.

Might be better to cut the conventional battery terminal off the cable and crimp on a heavy flat lug that bolts directly to the battery. Less parts = greater reliability and lower resistance.

That's a good idea. The battery will be in a box of some kind like a waterproof ammo box, so the wire won't be able to go straight into the box to the battery terminal. I also have a few wires hooked up to each battery terminal now so it would be a bit messy.

The site you linked doesn't seem to work, but neat looking terminals.

Keep em' coming!

Looks like all you need to make your own is a piece of 3/8 rod, nuts and washers, and an insulating material. Drill a hole in it and be done.

@JeepHammer may pop in here, he has a link to some really good brass ones he posted elsewhere (I can't find it now). I believe they were for a Forklift.

Another common alternative is to use Anderson Connectors

SB Series is common used in RE:

Race car stuff, 3/8", hard brass, it's called a bulkhead connector. or 'Passthrough' in those circles.

1579098346772.png

Spend as much as you want to here, they have accessories.
1579100540490.png

$80 each, but if you just have to have the highest tech... Milspec & FAA approved stuff.

1579099262520.png

Lithium battery guys might want to check this place out, it's OEM terminals/connectors and they have some cool stuff.

1579099664079.png

---------------------------------------------

Entirely a personal choice, but I prefer cable glands with/without the housing, just depends on how 'Swoopy' I'm feeling.
Cable gland and Anderson SB350 amp connectors since every battery string I have can be disconnected from the battery bank.
One less connection, no question of Anderson can conduct 350 Amps or not, and it's stupid simple.
Keeps crap from riding the wires into the battery box, they are just this side of 'Waterproof'

The Cable Gland is the pass through for a full size cable, the housing is the 'RV/Boat' housing that makes for a swoopy finishing touch.

1579104904863.png

Last edited:

No reason you can't unless the bolts are smaller conductors than the cable itself.
*IF* the bolt is restriction/resistance, it's going to heat, so your box material might melt or smoke...

There is also a question of moisture ON the box between your terminal bolts,
And if you use wood, it WILL draw moisture and connect the positive/negative, even if it's with a lot of resistance.

And if you use wood, it WILL draw moisture and connect the positive/negative, even if it's with a lot of resistanc

bringing this thread up as I have been looking for these things. Was thinking of the brass bolts until I saw your comment. Mine won’t be outside, but better safe than sorry. Great point.

Back