diy solar

diy solar

Split phase inverter w/ neutral?

LVLAaron

I'm looking for a minimal inverter. I need 240v split phase w/ neutral inverter (think whole house generator input). I only need to run lights, fridge, and small electronics, but I need to feed a 240v split phase panel. I only need to feed 1200-1500 watts max.

What's the smallest split-phase inverter I can get? Can be 12 or 48v

For split phase 240V you are probably looking at a minimum of a 4000W inverter. Something like a Schneider 4048 or maybe AIMS. The alternative would be a smaller 120V inverter in the 2500W to 3000W range with an autotransformer to give you the split phase.
If you have only 120V loads on the breaker panel you may not need a split phase inverter at all.

For split phase 240V you are probably looking at a minimum of a 4000W inverter. Something like a Schneider 4048 or maybe AIMS. The alternative would be a smaller 120V inverter in the 2500W to 3000W range with an autotransformer to give you the split phase.
If you have only 120V loads on the breaker panel you may not need a split phase inverter at all.

I don't need to run any 240 loads... just need/desire to power both phases of my main panel.

Before anyone asks, my my main panel is outside, so a multi-circuit transfer switch isn't really an option.

If there are no 240V loads the whole panel can be powered by a 120V inverter. You just have to run the Hot to both bus bars and size the neutral accordingly. There was a thread on the Forum a while back regarding this very subject. According to the excerpt from the NEC it is permissible to downgrade the panel to 120V if there are no 240V loads and you label the panel properly as having been changed over to 120V only.

I'm looking for a minimal inverter. I need 240v split phase w/ neutral inverter (think whole house generator input). I only need to run lights, fridge, and small electronics, but I need to feed a 240v split phase panel. I only need to feed 1200-1500 watts max.

What's the smallest split-phase inverter I can get? Can be 12 or 48v

Take a look at the Samlex EVO 4248sp for 48VDC to 120/240 VAC 4200 Watt Inverter/Charger. It will be on my short list of Inverters when upgrading to 120/240 VAC. Currently running the the Samlex EVO 2224 for a 24 VDC to 120 VAC and very pleased with the unit as it is very programmable. No software to mess with just the remote control to program it.

The Samlex EVO 4248sp also has a low no load power consumption of less than 30 watts. This really helps lower battery drain and is really noticeable when used with small loads of 1200 to 1500 watts max.

Purchased a few inverters from Don Rowe and have had no problems. Don Rowe is known for there good support and Samlex is as well.

Samlex EVO 4248sp link at Don Rowe.

The Samlex-EVO-RC-PLUS remote control is needed to program the inverter.

The manuals for the Samlex EVO 4248sp and the EVO-RC-Plus and very well written and detailed. Called Samlex for questions and firmware update and they were very helpful and responsive.

Samlex EVO 4248sp Manual link
Samlex-EVO-RC-PLUS remote control Manual link

Samlex EVO 4248sp Link

A 12 VDC to 120/240 option is the 3000 watt Sigineer Inverter Charger. It is not Tier 1 like the Samlex, but is generally considered a good unit. It will also have about twice the no load power consumption of the Samlex, but usually not considered excessive considering the price paid. It is a simple inverter charger and has a few options that can be programmed with several dip switches.

Better price on amazon with $100 coupon.

One thing to realize is the Samlex is only rated for an output of 2100 watts continuous at 120 volts and the Sigineer can only output approximately 1500 watts continuous at 120 volts. This is due to the design of split phase inverters. Split phase inverters generally output 1/2 the 240 VAC watts rating on each leg (L1 & L2 to netural) of 120 VAC. If this is new information suggest researching split phase inverters before purchasing one.

Last edited:
If there are no 240V loads the whole panel can be powered by a 120V inverter. You just have to run the Hot to both bus bars and size the neutral accordingly. There was a thread on the Forum a while back regarding this very subject. According to the excerpt from the NEC it is permissible to downgrade the panel to 120V if there are no 240V loads and you label the panel properly as having been changed over to 120V only.

I have 240v loads... just none that I need to power from the inverter.

Last edited:
@Dynoman thanks for the links. The sigineer should be more than I need, and I can use it on my existing 12v bank and can charge batteries through it with my 2000 watt gas generator if needed.

@Dynoman thanks for the links. The sigineer should be more than I need, and I can use it on my existing 12v bank and can charge batteries through it with my 2000 watt gas generator if needed.

12 VDC to 120/240 3000 watt Sigineer Inverter Charger Manual and Specifications attached.

Attachments

• Sigineer-12VDC to 120-240VAC 3KW Inverter Charger Specs.pdf
    338.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Sigineer-1.5-6KW Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger Ver 6_0 Manual.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
Thx. Sure would be nice if the Sigineer could charge on 120v like the Samlex. Not a big deal I guess, but it will certainly do what I need.

Back