Starlink is a game-changer

grizzzman

Some say "Why" and some say "Why not?"
I believe the official spec on say a normal standards based 802.3bt POE or something is 48-56v, but we know Starlink POE is not quite standard, as they tweaked it somewhat. However, these POE PDE devices have boost/buck converters on their inputs and are fairly flexible, if you run a little higher voltage it will draw a little less watts and be fine. Cable length plays a role too. Longer cable, it doesn't hurt to run closer to 56v and keep the current levels lower.
The tweak is the non standard wiring for the POE. The information I shared is from groups that are mobile. ( cable length is less of an issue in that application)

grizzzman

Also the newest router teardown showed the the power for the POE is set at 50 volts.

grizzzman

I'm currently at 6800 feet about 35 miles from Goblin Valley in southern Utah as the crow flies with scenic butte's all around and speeds of 188 mbps down and 20 up..... what a game changer.

Samsonite801

Photon Sorcerer
I just had my first outage with the Starlink in the middle of the night last night when a thunderstorm came through with lots of hard rain. It went down for maybe an hour, until the storm passed and it came right back up. I guess Starlink uses the Ka, Ku, and V Bands, which are fairly high frequencies, so they would be subjected to weather phenomena somewhat easier than if they had some C band or something.

It must've been a thick storm last night though, because I've had other downpours here where the Starlink kept working fine. Last night's storm was particularly fantastic...

Tracerocks

Solar Enthusiast
My Starlink RV arrived today!

Will have to find a way to mount on roof of RV. Also very interested in POE injector so I can run it on DC.

Samsonite801

Photon Sorcerer
My Starlink RV arrived today!

Will have to find a way to mount on roof of RV. Also very interested in POE injector so I can run it on DC.

Did you see this guy's videos yet?

Example:

I've also seen some of the Van Life groups on FB where they're into cutting off the pole part to do flat mount...

HRTKD

Boondocker
Is it a Cat 6 Ethernet cable between the dishy and the WiFi router inside? I'm trying to figure out how to get the cable from outside the trailer to inside the trailer.

Tracerocks

Solar Enthusiast
Is it a Cat 6 Ethernet cable between the dishy and the WiFi router inside? I'm trying to figure out how to get the cable from outside the trailer to inside the trailer.
Its some proprietary plug.
They have a $20 ethernet adapter that goes between the two where you can plug in a standard cable.

Samsonite801

Photon Sorcerer

Yeah, you can cut the cable if needed, it is basically a Cat5e/Cat6 shielded cable (with proprietary ends), so to cut it, you need the shielded RJ45 ends, and just do a T568B termination on both ends.

I used these ends on mine:

I used these crimpers for the above terminals:

You can also add in a power injector so you can inject DC power and eliminate their router (without using their Ethernet adapter, and bypass mode)...

https://www.mccowntech.com/product/outdoor-gige-ethernet-poe-injector/ (Streakwave and ISP Supplies sell them too)

This is a special POE injector with jumper headers on the board so you can custom-set the power output configuration in regards to polarity (since Starlink uses non-standards based POE implementation). The McCown injector allows you to set 1,2,3,6 as + and 4,5,7,8 as - (by setting left 2 jumpers to left side, and right 2 jumpers to right side.

If you don't care about POE or anything like that, then a simple splice and an RJ45 connector matching wire for wire is all you need. The above I mentioned is only needed if you want to delete their router as a POE PSE source, to add your own DC 48-56v power injection, and BYO router.

I can provide more details if necessary.

Also more info and pictures can be found here about the POE mod:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/sb4dei

Last edited:

Samsonite801

Photon Sorcerer
Thanks for the information @Samsonite801. I've crimped RJ45 here at home but I've never seen a pass-through RJ-45 end connector.

Yeah sure no prob... If you don't use the crimpers with the pass-thru wire cutters built-in, then you have to use a sharp razor blade to manually cut off the wires that are passing through. Make sure it's a clean flush cut, so that none of the conductors are frayed and could touch an adjacent one.

You don't have to use those pass-thru style, but they do need to be for shielded..

Not sure if you have the ground crimper, or suitable equivalent:

On mine, it didn't reach around good enough for my liking, so I wrapped some stranded wire around the ground sleeve after crimping it (with the wrong tool) and just soldiered it to make the ring contiguous... Mine don't look pretty, but it's sturdy and it functions well.

Regular 4-twisted pair, shielded cable:
1653939973686.jpeg

Ready to crimp:
1653940079948.jpeg

1653940039214.jpeg

Ugly soldier job, but stiffened up the ground crimp:
1653939513269.jpeg

Here's an extra pole adapter part I acquired on eBay (which I turned into a tester adapter to fit their proprietary ends):
1653939712937.jpeg

Continuity testing my cable with the fresh RJ45 crimp:
1653939648620.jpeg

Last edited:

Samsonite801

Photon Sorcerer
For anyone who goes the McCown POE injector method (to inject their own DC power source and delete Starlink router), here's a pic of the POE injector showing the jumper pin config (assuming you use left power feed as + and right power feed as - (on the blue DC power input connector)... That will get you the correct power output onto the twisted pair of 1,2,3,6 + and 4,5,7,8 -

1653943961450.png

Also, ground the big nut on there to copper ground rod, as this injector also offers Ethernet surge protection.

Last edited:

Batvette

Solar Addict
To heck with the internet, Im more impressed you own your own heavy equipment. What is that, a skip loader? Backhoe?
If I lived in the boonies an excavator and a bulldozer would be necessities. Neighbors piss me off Im building a moat... Or a hole their car would fall into like that movie with Christian Slater.
Dolans Cadillac.

Samsonite801

Photon Sorcerer
To heck with the internet, Im more impressed you own your own heavy equipment. What is that, a skip loader? Backhoe?
If I lived in the boonies an excavator and a bulldozer would be necessities. Neighbors piss me off Im building a moat... Or a hole their car would fall into like that movie with Christian Slater.
Dolans Cadillac.

That my friend, is a 1972 Hyster H180E forklift hehe... Should be getting it mobilized hopefully soon. Finally found a hydraulic pump to put on it.

A tractor will hopefully come in the future (maybe even an EV conversion), but in the meantime I joined into an equipment group on my co-op with several other guys and we purchased a Bobcat mini-ex and a JD Skid Steer to share, so I do have access to some tools to help me develop my property...

I think a moat would be fun to have, just to lay down in a floating raft and relax in... We have no hostile forces out where I'm at, just a bunch of happy hard working driven folks here who love to help their neighbors. No need to get all up in arms (although we have our arms ready if the need arises)...

Batvette

Solar Addict
That my friend, is a 1972 Hyster H180E forklift hehe... Should be getting it mobilized hopefully soon. Finally found a hydraulic pump to put on it.

A tractor will hopefully come in the future (maybe even an EV conversion), but in the meantime I joined into an equipment group on my co-op with several other guys and we purchased a Bobcat mini-ex and a JD Skid Steer to share, so I do have access to some tools to help me develop my property...

I think a moat would be fun to have, just to lay down in a floating raft and relax in... We have no hostile forces out where I'm at, just a bunch of happy hard working driven folks here who love to help their neighbors. No need to get all up in arms (although we have our arms ready if the need arises)...
When you order that pump get a lot of replacement seals... Hydraulics that dont get used will leak like crazy...