diy solar

diy solar

Starting grid assisted project - to become off grid - with storage questions.

ADK Homer

Solar Enthusiast
Hello Im a new member here and cant believe the amount of knowledge and experience I've seen already. Ive been watching Will's stuff on YouTube for quite sometime and greatly appreciate everything he's done, along with everyone here.
We live in the northeast and use an above average amount of power for a single family home. Our bills are through the roof and I've finally decided its time to begin making the switch. We use on average 17k kw a year here, with a larger portion in the summer months, up to 2k a month then.
I bought a pallet of Solarever 410w to start and plan on running 2 strings of ten panels each on my first mounting location. We have full exposure from nearly sun up to sun down, so hoping we can take advantage of that. The southern facing roof im mounting on allowed me to get more of the 410s than the 455s on it with a higher output, which is why I chose those. The voc is also considerably less and allows me to add more per string while staying under the limits of the Eg4 6500exs I intend to buy now. Which leads me to my first question. I intend to start out grid tied as stated and move to fully off grid as I can afford to keep building a bigger bank. Would I be wise to go with 2of the Eg4s starting out and expand to 4 or 6, or go with something else? Im going to be building my banks from eve 280s or 304s, with roughly 30 kwh to start, which brings me to next question. I will probably want at least 90kwh bank in the near future, and will need enclosures and/or safe mounting in my basement. I like the dewalt rack idea as my friend uses them in his garage and they're built extremely well. Would that be a good option, mounting buss bars on each end? Do they sell reasonably priced bases to put each group in, or full enclosures? Or should i build something around them and leave them exposed on the shelves? Sorry I'm throwing a few things out here at once, just wanted to fully explain my setup and give an introduction. Thank you for all and any input!

Added note, I also plan on using JBD bms s and I also have several generators, propane and gas, capable of 30 and 50amp hookup for charging if needed while expanding.

the eg4 6500 inverters are NOT grid tie inverters, they are off grid only

As stated above, the EG4 6500 is not grid-tied, meaning it does not feedback or export power to the grid. It takes power from the grid when it bypass, or when charging the batteries on grid power.
There is an EG4 Hybrid 8kW, split-phase that is grid-tied, so perhaps you meant that one. I am using an AmenSolar 5kW, but there are 8kW and 10kW versions available. These are grid-tied and can export to the grid, and/or run off-grid with batteries.

Regarding batteries, I can't see how building my own would save me anything. I used the EG4 LifePower4s and their rack enclosure with busbars and wheels, and the price can't be beaten. So I can't see myself spending days building a battery and messing with a BMS when I can buy one off the shelf and be running in under an hour.

Thank you for the response, I guess I used the wrong terminology of "grid tied". I dont really need to export back to the grid, as I wont be generating close to enough power for my needs until I can install more panels. I will need to use the grid however, when I run out of battery power and for recharging, until I can expand my system.

So I didn't know if the Eg4 6500 would be a good option for what I need to to expand upon. As for the batteries, I would love to be able to plug and play the Eg4 LLs, but they would cost me over 30k without shipping for my minimum 90kwh needs. Where I can build my own for about half the price with cells " alleged " to be rated for 6000+ cycles also. The battery build is quick and simple, the initial set up and top balancing takes a little time, but worth it for savings imo. The communication and connectivity between the LLs and 6500 would be very nice though.

I built a 12v battery with eve 280k cells last year, which I use to power my Iceco 75L cooler/freezer..and I couldn't be happier with the output of the 280 cells vs all these 100ah cells used in everything else.

Last edited:
Well "it depends"

Since it's not a grid tied inverter you have to power the loads through it. If your loads exceed the power rating of the inverter then you can't, which means some of the loads have to be connected on the grid side, and the inverter can't soften the electricity bills from these loads.

A grid tied inverter injects power into the grid on the house side of the utility meter, so it will reduce the power counted by the meter, but it does not have to handle all the power used in the house since it doesn't got through the inverter.

What kind of loads are you using to burn so much power? Heat pump?

Well "it depends"

Since it's not a grid tied inverter you have to power the loads through it. If your loads exceed the power rating of the inverter then you can't, which means some of the loads have to be connected on the grid side, and the inverter can't soften the electricity bills from these loads.

A grid tied inverter injects power into the grid on the house side of the utility meter, so it will reduce the power counted by the meter, but it does not have to handle all the power used in the house since it doesn't got through the inverter.

What kind of loads are you using to burn so much power? Heat pump?
Hot water heater, electric range and dryer, dishwasher, pool pump 240v

Just that for 66kWh/day? That's a lot of consumption without AC or electric heating

Hot water heater, electric range and dryer, dishwasher, pool pump 240v
i think a non inline hybrid that allows you to "zero-export" would be you best option.

Luxpower
EG4 8kw ( if they have their CT stuff fixed)
Sol-ark
Megarevo ( if they have their CT stuff fixed)
Mpp Solar MPI series

would look at what they have to offer for you and their specs

price can't be beaten. So I can't see myself spending days building a battery and messing with a BMS when I can buy one off the shelf and be running in under an hour.
I have two factory built rack batteries and three DIY batteries.
The DIY are less than half of the cost of the factory units per kWh, counting my time as zero.
Just assembled my latest DIY 14.3kWh battery which took less than two hours, ordering/shipping in cells took 2.5 months.
That said, DIY batteries are not for everyone, the factory racks were certainly less effort, but higher cost per kWh.

I have two factory built rack batteries and three DIY batteries.
The DIY are less than half of the cost of the factory units per kWh, counting my time as zero.
Just assembled my latest DIY 14.3kWh battery which took less than two hours, ordering/shipping in cells took 2.5 months.
That said, DIY batteries are not for everyone, the factory racks were certainly less effort, but higher cost per kWh.
Thats man plan also. Ive bought and built thru Docan before...us stock. Never had any shipped. Who'd you go thru alibaba? I built 280ks first time for 12v camping setup. Plan on doing same again or 304s

Who'd you go thru alibaba? I
Yes, I used their "pay and pray" order system, and so far so good! LOL.
My three DIY racks are all EVE 280's x 16 cells Daly BMS with active balancers.
Currently I have an order for 8- 304's for my RV set up (to replace the AGM's) looking foreward to see how these 304's perform.

Back