diy solar

diy solar

Would you do Eg4 or something different?

Do you need system up and running, with an inspection, to qualify for the tax credits?
As I understand it the system needs to be in production, but there is no requirements on inspections. I took a lot of pictures so I have those to document it was up and running, in the unlikely event I get audited for a third time. Usually after they have been beaten twice they tend to leave you along.

Anyone have any suggestions for decent roof mounting brackets. I'll have to put 20 panels on my garage roof to start..then will move down into my field with more when I can afford the ground mount set up and more panels?

Anyone have any suggestions for decent roof mounting brackets. I'll have to put 20 panels on my garage roof to start..then will move down into my field with more when I can afford the ground mount set up and more panels?
I think you will find most roof mount systems will cost just slightly less than a ground mount like the Skyrack 2.0.

It's the cost of the rails that is the majority of the cost, both systems require a set of rails to mount panels. If you have the room, ground mount long term is the way to go. If you want seasonal tilt, roof mount isn't any good.

While it may take more wire most likely for the ground mount, if you trench once and install a large conduit, you can run more wires down the road easily or run the wires now for future expansion. If your plan is to add a ground mount at a later date, I'd recommend just doing it now and set up for expansion down the road all with ground mounts.

If you are handy and have fabrication skills, it isn't that hard to make a ground mount like the MT Solar I have. My next mount I will fabricate myself, part of the reason I purchased the first one is I only have so many hours, usually weekends, and knew it would add to my timeline to get a system up and running. All the rest of the infrastructure is now in place, so adding another mount I fabricate myself will be an easy addition.

If you really want low priced, then a simple rack system using Unistrut with wooden poles and frame is cheaper than a roof mount.

I think you will find most roof mount systems will cost just slightly less than a ground mount like the Skyrack 2.0.

It's the cost of the rails that is the majority of the cost, both systems require a set of rails to mount panels. If you have the room, ground mount long term is the way to go. If you want seasonal tilt, roof mount isn't any good.

While it may take more wire most likely for the ground mount, if you trench once and install a large conduit, you can run more wires down the road easily or run the wires now for future expansion. If your plan is to add a ground mount at a later date, I'd recommend just doing it now and set up for expansion down the road all with ground mounts.

If you are handy and have fabrication skills, it isn't that hard to make a ground mount like the MT Solar I have. My next mount I will fabricate myself, part of the reason I purchased the first one is I only have so many hours, usually weekends, and knew it would add to my timeline to get a system up and running. All the rest of the infrastructure is now in place, so adding another mount I fabricate myself will be an easy addition.

If you really want low priced, then a simple rack system using Unistrut with wooden poles and frame is cheaper than a roof mount.
I agree on going ground mount if you can figure out a way. Easier maintenance and you don't have to worry about reroofing down the road and all the hassle that entails. I really wanted ground mount but there was just no practical way to do it. We have a lot of land but the layout around the house, shop, and barn just torpedoed any good way to do it.

@ADK Homer - if you have a metal roof I'd take a look at the S-5 mounts. That's what I used on the shop.

Very happy with my Tamarack rails ordered through NAZ.
Hint - order the 7' so you can avoid freight shipping and make your own 'kit' instead of buying the premaid that likely includes stuff you don't need.

The companies that manufacture rails typically have roof attachment options for your specific roof type. Match the rails to the roof brackets.

I agree with others, ground mount isn't necessarily more expensive and it's a lot easier to keep clean and work on.

If you choose to go with roof mounted. Definitely know what the life expectancy of your existing roof is.
You don't want to have to remove everything, when it's time for a new roof.
90% of my solar will be roof mounted. But I'm also installing new metal roofs, Pryor to each array installation. These things impact your budget. And can slow your process. The new roofs were already in the plan for me. So it didn't really add more cost. But, I have had delays. Because I need time to do everything in the right order. And I'm doing everything myself.

Does anyone know off hand, how many batteries or Ahs required to run the 6500EX's?

I would consider the max amps possible from both combined, what is your daily usage, and how much power it takes to power the EG4s.

Say you have 3 cloudy days in a row. You'll need at least 85W x 72hrs x 2units = 12.3kWh just to keep them turned on.

If your house uses a very low estimate 15kWh per day (mine is 30-50kWh) you'd need 3x15=45kWh.

So 12.3 + 45 = 57.3kWh minimum bank to survive 3 successive rainy days with no grid or generator.

I agree, but time and capability to get equipment and everything required for the ground mount would set me back awhile. I dont have a welder, but I've wanted for awhile. Getting one and learning will set me back on the project though. Guess I will have to weigh my options there too.

Thank you all for the input also. Yeah my roof is shingled and in good shape. I believe its only a 5 or 6/12 pitch, so good for catching those summer rays!

I would consider the max amps possible from both combined, what is your daily usage, and how much power it takes to power the EG4s.

Say you have 3 cloudy days in a row. You'll need at least 85W x 72hrs x 2units = 12.3kWh just to keep them turned on.

If your house uses a very low estimate 15kWh per day (mine is 30-50kWh) you'd need 3x15=45kWh.

So 12.3 + 45 = 57.3kWh minimum bank to survive 3 successive rainy days with no grid .

Thanks for response, I meant bare minimum of a UL listed battery to run inverters for inspection.

Tonight is Signatures last night of 5% off and free charger with purchase of two 6500EX's. Wonder how sales have been and what upcoming promotions will be there?

They are always running some kind of promotions.
Just have to wait for what you want to be in it.
I took advantage of this one, myself. ;)
Me too. Got a rack of batteries on sale plus another 5% off and $200 shipping. Dang. I hope they don't run another battery promotion or my wife is gonna be after me to buy more. It's a heavy load I bear ...

I agree, but time and capability to get equipment and everything required for the ground mount would set me back awhile. I dont have a welder, but I've wanted for awhile. Getting one and learning will set me back on the project though. Guess I will have to weigh my options there too.
Go buy the Skyrack 2.0. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

If I was to purchase a complete ground mount and I just might instead of fabricating another pole mount, I'd go with the Skyrack 2.0. It cost me $6700 for the MT Solar delivered plus $1800 for the 2 poles. That was for the 16 panel mount but my panels are 530W and slightly larger than a standard 72 cell. That is $8500 total. The Skyrack 2.0 for 16 panels with seasonal tilt is $3000, I could have purchased 2 of the 16 panel Skyrack 2.0 and had $2500 left for more panels.

You don't have snow to worry about like I get here, the Skyrack would work perfect for you.

Go buy the Skyrack 2.0. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

If I was to purchase a complete ground mount and I just might instead of fabricating another pole mount, I'd go with the Skyrack 2.0. It cost me $6700 for the MT Solar delivered plus $1800 for the 2 poles. That was for the 16 panel mount but my panels are 530W and slightly larger than a standard 72 cell. That is $8500 total. The Skyrack 2.0 for 16 panels with seasonal tilt is $3000, I could have purchased 2 of the 16 panel Skyrack 2.0 and had $2500 left for more panels.

You don't have snow to worry about like I get here, the Skyrack would work perfect for you.
I will definitely have to look into that. My panels are 108 cell mono percs. 68x44 roughly. I will still need ground mounts no matter what. I already have more panels than will fit on my south facing roof.

On another side note, I will prob have to buy one server rack batt for inspection..should I do the standard or LL Eg4. I may be able to utilize it for a separate system down the road, so was leaning towards LL, whole still trying to keep costs down.

Back