diy solar

diy solar

Stop multiplus from charging during the night

pda1

Even when my M+ has fully charged the batteries at night and they're "Float" the M+ consumes electricity. Over night it's almost 700w. That's way too much.

Is there a setting to stop the Multi from charging the batteries after the batteries are in Float?

In the manual, read the section about "conditional AC input connection." This allows you to turn off input AC based on different conditions ... like load, state of charge or battery voltage.

I don't want to cut off AC- that would shut down the devices being fed by the Multi. I just want to stop the Multi from charging the batteries when they are in float.

Float should not be charging the batteries, just holding them. What battery chemistry and what is your float voltage?

There is a control in the VRM dashboard that lets you turn the MultiPlus to "inverter only." I haven't explored that and I don't know of a way to automate it. Personally, I rarely use the grid connection.

Last edited:
Over night it's almost 700w.
Is that 700Wh? (and not 700W continuously?)

700Wh / 8h night = 87.5W average (guessing 8h)

Do you know the MultiPlus idle power use?
I seem to recall about 25W?

that would shut down the devices being fed by the Multi.
87.5W - 25W idle = 52W for "the devices fed by the Multi". Seem reasonable?

What are these devices?

This might help clarify what I'm seeing on VRM. The screenshot attached is for October 12th from midnight to 6AM. It looks like the blue portion is the amount of power going to the battery which is about .020 wh which I take to be 20 watt hours. I'm no expert in these matters.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-10-13 19-45-25.png
    Screenshot from 2023-10-13 19-45-25.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 7
This might help clarify what I'm seeing on VRM. The screenshot attached is for October 12th from midnight to 6AM. It looks like the blue portion is the amount of power going to the battery which is about .020 wh which I take to be 20 watt hours. I'm no expert in these matters.
To me, this "looks" like hourly power consumption (outflow) from the battery.
Are you are the blue isn't the inverters own power consumption? There must be a legend somewhere. I suspect its Victron blue for that reason. But i dunno.

The rest is powering something. There is no info on this.

So from 1:30 to 2:30, there is about .275kWh (eyeball guess) being consumed.
Is anything special going on at 2:00?

The orange colors, says the legend, is "direct use". The blue is "To battery".

Does that makes any sense?

Update to 506 and use the feature I mentioned in your other thread on the VEConfig Advanced tab.

BTW... 700Wh? that's about 1/2 my idle consumption every 24 hours. At my first home's electric rates, that's about $0.09/night. :)

You could also try just setting your float voltage way lower and see if that makes a difference.

I'll update to 506. Must do it early tomorrow morning as the update process on VRM will disconnect all AC power.

Here's hoping it goes well.

'Just took a look at the update procedure as found on VRM.
(I hope Victron reads this)

The Multiplus update procedure is way too difficult and complicated for a simple man like me.

- The process should be completely automated when little or no user intervention
- There are too many steps
- It also should be able to be done by any operating system

What an absolute mess!

The Multiplus update procedure is way too difficult and complicated for a simple man like me.

- The process should be completely automated when little or no user intervention

What an absolute mess!

It's actually REALLY simple. The instructions are very explicit, and it's pretty important that they be specific as people are doing these upgrades from hours away.

If you use VC and the MK3-USB cable like the video I linked you in your other thread, it's absolutely painless.

What an absolute mess!

Had to upgrade my MK3 in the CCGX before I could pull up the dialog:

Confirm understanding of this procedure

The inverter/charger is the heart of a Victron power system. Before continuing, make sure to fully understand each step. The first stage consists of 5 steps:

1. The new firmware file is uploaded to the GX Device.
  2. The configuration is retrieved from the VE.Bus system.
  3. The inverter is switched off and its firmware is updated. Be aware that there will be no AC power available. Also the internet connection might be lost, in case the router is powered by the inverter. Which is OK, this update has been designed to remotely update an Off-grid system.
  4. After the firmware update is completed, the settings will be reset to defaults and, to prevent overcharging, the charge current will be set to zero amps, and then the inverter is switched on again.
  5. The internet connection will be re-established (in case it was lost) and the new settings template is retrieved from the system; after which it will be uploaded to your web browser.
At this moment the first stage is complete. Next you’ll need to open the provided file in VE.Bus System Configurator by double clicking it. The settings will automatically be converted to the new firmware version; and a popup will show in case anything needs double checking. When finished, close the Configurator, it will prompt to store the file.

Last stage: on VRM, go to Device List -> Remote VEConfigure and there use the Upload feature to upload the settings. This will restore the charge current.

I've bolded the only two things you actually do.

Just looked at the video. Am I correct in saying I need the USB to-go connected to the MK3 when using a phone?

When using my phone and Victron Connect the settings can't be changed. Well, just a few of them like current. It also says that version 498 (I think that's it) is the latest version, but, of course VRM says I can update to 506.

Just looked at the video. Am I correct in saying I need the USB to-go connected to the MK3 when using a phone?

When using my phone and Victron Connect the settings can't be changed. Well, just a few of them like current. It also says that version 498 (I think that's it) is the latest version, but, of course VRM says I can update to 506.

Do you have a MK3-USB adapter?

If so, do you have the USB-C or USB-A plug?

If neither, do you have the VE.Bus smart dongle?

If you have the smart dongle, you can't do anything meaningful.

3.3. VE.Bus Smart dongle limitations

When connected over bluetooth, using the VE.Bus Smart Dongle, only status data, voltages, and other information can be read. And it can be operated: switch between On, Off and Charger-only mode, and set a Shore current input limit. No changes can be made to the product.

An MK3-USB is required to change settings and perform firmware updates and settings. And, as that requires a USB port, it is not possible to change inverter/charger configuration or perform firmware updates on a Apple iPad or iPhone.

VictronConnect does not work with the MK2-USB.

It's late and I'm getting really confused. Don't laugh too hard but is VE.Bus System Configurator what I've been using to change the settings of the Multi using Windows?

I'm going to quit for the night. Too confused.

Do you have a MK3-USB adapter?

If so, do you have the USB-C or USB-A plug?

If neither, do you have the VE.Bus smart dongle?

If you have the smart dongle, you can't do anything meaningful.

3.3. VE.Bus Smart dongle limitations

When connected over bluetooth, using the VE.Bus Smart Dongle, only status data, voltages, and other information can be read. And it can be operated: switch between On, Off and Charger-only mode, and set a Shore current input limit. No changes can be made to the product.

An MK3-USB is required to change settings and perform firmware updates and settings.
And, as that requires a USB port, it is not possible to change inverter/charger configuration or perform firmware updates on a Apple iPad or iPhone.

VictronConnect does not work with the MK2-USB.
Ok....now this makes better sense.

Do you have a MK3-USB adapter? Yes, I do

If so, do you have the USB-C or USB-A plug? No, so I'll have to get one.

Thanks for the help.

It's late and I'm getting really confused. Don't laugh too hard but is VE.Bus System Configurator what I've been using to change the settings of the Multi using Windows?

I'm going to quit for the night. Too confused.

The VE.Bus System Configurator is installed with VEConfigure3.

From https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

VE Configuration tools for VE.Bus Products

This package contains:

• VEConfigure 3 (v9004236)
  • VE.Bus Quick Configure (v9010154) - For installations up to 3 Multis
  • VE.Bus System Configurator (v9009154) - For larger installations
  • VEFlash (v9005163) - Firmware update tool to update VE.Bus products

If you have been downloading VEconfig files from VRM, editing them and then uploading via VRM, you already have the VE.Bus System Configurator. It is more commonly used to configure multiple parallel inverters. You can initiate the firmware update from this same computer. Since you have a single inverter, you will likely only see VEConfig come up.

Ok....now this makes better sense.

Do you have a MK3-USB adapter? Yes, I do

If so, do you have the USB-C or USB-A plug? No, so I'll have to get one.

MK3-USB comes with one or the other. USB-A is the most common.

USB-A plugs into a common USB port like on a PC.
USB-C plugs into a recent Android phone.

So if you can plug your MK3-USB into a PC, you can install and run VC on the PC and do the firmware update following the same steps in that video, except with the PC version.

This video shows the MK3-USB with USB-A, and shows updating with the PC version:

The result- success.

I shouldn't work with computers late at night.

I run Debian with Windows in Virtualbox.

VictronConnect was installed in Virtualbox, hooked up the Mk3 to it and all of the settings appeared.

Backed up the current settings-

Easily updated the M+ to v506

It took awhile for the Rsp to recognize the Multiplus again...but it all worked out ok (so I think).

Thanks for your patience and directions.

The update process is really simple (a late night isn't the time to do one)

Nuts. The bad part is that Windows in virtualbox doesn't recognize the MK3.

Using regular Windows it does.

Oh well.

Later....now it does- all is well.

Last edited:
Back