diy solar

diy solar

Stupid Question On Mixing Cable Types

steenbag

Hi all, I'm getting ready to start the install of my mid-size camper system. I purchased all of my cabling from Battery Cables USA because it was basically the same price as buying the parts and making my own. However, after receiving the cables, their 4/0 "flexible" cable isn't flexible enough for some of the bends I need it to make. I have some 4/0 Ancor marine cable that is much more flexible.

So my question is: can I use most of the cables I ordered from battery cables USA, but replace a few of the tricky runs with more flexible marine cable? Wondering about differences in cable resistance causing issues.

Thanks!

It shouldn't matter. My bet is the batterycablesusa ones have a thicker jacket and can withstand more heat thus more amps... but you don't want that heat anyways

Regular battery cables tend to have thicker strands that are bare copper. Marine cable tend to have a higher quantity of smaller strands and they are tin coated to protect against corrosion in a marine environment. Smaller diameter strands add to the flexibility. both 4/0.

Hi all, I'm getting ready to start the install of my mid-size camper system. I purchased all of my cabling from Battery Cables USA because it was basically the same price as buying the parts and making my own. However, after receiving the cables, their 4/0 "flexible" cable isn't flexible enough for some of the bends I need it to make. I have some 4/0 Ancor marine cable that is much more flexible.

So my question is: can I use most of the cables I ordered from battery cables USA, but replace a few of the tricky runs with more flexible marine cable? Wondering about differences in cable resistance causing issues.

Thanks!
If you need more flexibility look at your local welding supply store. They use very thin stranded wire to handle amperage and flexibility to work with. It’s sold online also.

Back