diy solar

diy solar

Suitable BMS

iRondo

My castle, a boat; The ocean, my moat
I have a DIY bank of 8 Sinopoly 200ah cells (4S2P/4.8Kwh). The cells spec'd max charge/discharge rates are 2C & 3C respectively. I've been using an Orion Jr BMS but I don't trust it anymore. I looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced replacement.
My chargers consist of 150A alternator ~900W of solar, and a 60A shore power charger. Max discharge is around 150 amp draw at times.

Thanks

Last edited:
Orion is one of the premium BMS options. I can't imagine a suitable replacement that would beat it.

Have you actually observed a malfunction, or is it too complex for you to figure out?

Orion is one of the premium BMS options. I can't imagine a suitable replacement that would beat it.

Have you actually observed a malfunction, or is it too complex for you to figure out?
Well, I think that it must be too advanced for me. My main two complaints with it are that A) the help files are a joke. They explain what "X" is but not how it actually works. "X" is literally every function.
And B) the only way to connect to the BMS is with a windows machine via RS 232/USB cable. They clearly have no interest in providing an app for Apple products and my old tough book running Windows ten is not long for this world and I have no interest in replacing it or trying to fix it.
Also, it would be nice to have something with bluetooth.

As for not trusting the BMS: I am seeing high resistance in two cells. It seems to me that if there is high IR, then it follows that the particular cell(s) affected should have elevated temperatures compared to the low resistance cells. Is that sound reasoning? I have moved my temp sensors around and all cells are within one degree of the rest.

I realize that that alone may not be reason enough to condemn the BMS but given the other circumstances, I feel it might be the best thing to do.

Well, I basically only gave you those two choices for a reason. Malfunctions are rare, but dealing with the complexity is beyond many people.

Orion is what EV builders use because it is incredibly robust, reliable and capable, but you pretty much need to be a pro.

I steered away from them primarily because of the 60V limit as my configuration was going to potentially use 15S of 3.7V NMC chemistry. I ended up going with Batrium.

JK BMS seems to be a favorite. There are some high current options, and their active balancing is legit.

As far as IR, temperature is a potential means of detection, but it's all relative, and it's not necessarily just the cells. Your sensing harness could be contributing.

JK BMS seems to be a favorite. There are some high current options, and their active balancing is legit.

As far as IR, temperature is a potential means of detection, but it's all relative, and it's not necessarily just the cells. Your sensing harness could be contributing.

I hadn't thought of the harness, thanks. I have gone through all the connections.
It was an EV builder in Canada, who brought my cells in from China and provided all the other components as well, including the BMS.
I have been unable to find anything, anywhere on the Orion or in the specs what the amperage rating is. Based on the specs of my cells (given above), can you advise what amperage of BMS do I actually need? We sometimes have draws up to 150A but never charge above 80A.

I will have a look at those two that you brands mentioned.

Thanks for your response

I hadn't thought of the harness, thanks. I have gone through all the connections.
It was an EV builder in Canada, who brought my cells in from China and provided all the other components as well, including the BMS.
I have been unable to find anything, anywhere on the Orion or in the specs what the amperage rating is. Based on the specs of my cells (given above), can you advise what amperage of BMS do I actually need? We sometimes have draws up to 150A but never charge above 80A.

I will have a look at those two that you brands mentioned.

Thanks for your response

BMS capable of 200A discharge or higher and 100A charge or higher.

Can this "EV Builder" not help you with the Orion?

They provided some advice with the initial setup and configuration, but then one of the techs started giving me attitude and, well... now they don't talk to me LOL.
I have emailed Ewert (Orion) inquiring about options available to me. They have a wifi add-on but it's only for Canbus enabled Juniors. Mine is not Canbus enabled. If I can get over the hurdle of connecting with Apple products then maybe sticking with the Orion would be worth it. I still want to try verify the issue with the IR and that should be done before throwing more money around.

Orion software is java based. I was able to get it working on a raspberry pi Linux distro. Also with the Orion the only limitations for your current are your contactor selections.

diy solar

diy solar
Back