diy solar

diy solar

swollen Grade A received after 95 days from Aliexpress

elvis_asaftei

Hi,

I have installed solar panels and ordered this type of batteries from the image below, from PWOD seller : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002287176571.html .

I waited 95 days from the moment of payment, but received bad quality.
3AA2ABE1-F9B7-4EDA-8271-5BD967162178.png, a number of 144 grade a batteries.

But instead I received all swollen as you can see below.
Seller said that batteries was not swollen when shipped.
It was shipped with train from Shenzhen to European Union.

2A91537A-8E59-407B-A802-70D6D97D0543.jpeg

I believe temperature from desert went above 80C in train and damaged the batteries.
I tested voltage and they are all around 3.29V and internal resistance checked and it is between 0.25mOhms and 0.35mOhms .
I think I will have to do a load test of 250Watts and see if voltage is sustained above 3Volts. How can I do a load test safety because I do not have a DC Load Tester with fixed power settings ?

What do you suggest I have to do ?
Request replacement cells (will that happen, is there a regulation for that ?) Anyone in the same situation with me ?
What is the solution with AliExpress for this problem ?

Thank you for the suggestions if you can help me.

1FE49C92-E0BF-4138-8873-89D1A7D3C4AA.jpeg215DBCAA-EF91-4569-AB64-FF8D0F061F70.jpegF38C6C1D-A5E3-41B5-B5EE-41B613C19C32.jpeg8D4F4842-C15D-46CF-ADE1-3A835D4EB726.jpeg

Last edited:
I replied but missed the fact you received them this way. Not from misuse.
Yes, after 95 days of waiting all are like that , I pushed them to each other but I can’t even put the bus bar because they are swollen when opened the package. Could there be used cells and repacked ? Or could very high temperature in the train transport create this problem ?

Cells can be compressed back into their intended shape, and if the swelling is just due to temperature changes during shipment then you'll likely find that the capacity and internal resistance is still good.

This was common with early LiFePO4 cells - Thundersky (now Winston) batteries were always shipped with compression plates and straps, and they were very clear about the requirements to keep them under pressure, as well as having a tool and process for recompression if needed.

I'm surprised the industry moved away from this - perhaps swelling is less a problem now than it was over a decade ago.

Regardless, if the packages did go over temp during shipping, then it's either the shipper's fault for not keeping them environmentally controlled, or the seller's fault for not specifying environmentally controlled shipping.

I would put this all into the seller's hands:

"I received the cells and they were swollen. If the warranty is still good, and you'll replace any bad cells, then I need instructions on how to properly compress them so the included hardware works that won't void the warranty. If you cannot warranty them then I need you to send new cells, pay for return shipping if you want these back, and take the issue up with the shipping company. Perhaps you should consider attaching a temperature logger to the next shipment to confirm that the shipping company is delivering the service this product needs."

You paid them to ship, so they are responsible for the product up until you accept delivery.

Cells can be compressed back into their intended shape, and if the swelling is just due to temperature changes during shipment then you'll likely find that the capacity and internal resistance is still good.

This was common with early LiFePO4 cells - Thundersky (now Winston) batteries were always shipped with compression plates and straps, and they were very clear about the requirements to keep them under pressure, as well as having a tool and process for recompression if needed.

I'm surprised the industry moved away from this - perhaps swelling is less a problem now than it was over a decade ago.

Regardless, if the packages did go over temp during shipping, then it's either the shipper's fault for not keeping them environmentally controlled, or the seller's fault for not specifying environmentally controlled shipping.

"I received the cells and they were swollen. If the warranty is still good, and you'll replace any bad cells, then I need instructions on how to properly compress them so the included hardware works that won't void the warranty. If you cannot warranty them then I need you to send new cells, pay for return shipping if you want these back, and take the issue up with the shipping company. Perhaps you should consider attaching a temperature logger to the next shipment to confirm that the shipping company is delivering the service this product needs."

You paid them to ship, so they are responsible for the product up until you accept delivery.
Thank you for the answer.
Any way to solve the problem? Will the seller pay for 144 batteries ? It is $18000 , I doubt …

Before you do anything else, you need to discuss it with the seller. Are they saying the cells are still good and meet their specification, or are they saying that they aren't. If they're good, then they need to support you in getting them properly fit to the provided hardware. If they're not then they need to make this right.

144 cells may seem like a lot, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

they lie about stuff and then keep procrastinating until your tired or warranty is up, i see so many red flags at ali its pitiful/, i would tell them to pay for return,and ship new a faster way, and then charge back how ever you paid, dont tell them a charge back until they say your new batteries are on their way, this time you come out a head and they get screwed

May I ask how you came to this seller for an order that large? Did you order a sample before? Were there any reviews of this particular seller (especially on this forum)?
Batteries are pretending to be 310ah CATL grade A . I have internal resistance tester and resistance is between 0.25mOhms and 0.35mOhms . All batteries was transported by train and stays horizontally and in metalic container that could have exceeded 100C during transport with train in China Desert from Shenzhen to European Battery is rated at 1C discharge and 0.5C charge rate and 4000 cycles and was bought from here :

US $630.50 35% Off | PWOD 4-16PCS CATL 3.2V 310AH grade A lifepo4 battery RV 320AH battery pack RV and Solar Energy storage system EU US tax free

what happens if :
1. battery temperature in metalic container by train will exceed 100Celsius ( is this possible with train in really got sunlight ?) and I think this is not happening by sea because of low temp and container stacking ?
2. Transporting the batteries horizontally and not vertically has any damaging effect ? I notice that when I take them from the transportation box I hear a liquid pouring inside when I put them vertically

they lie about stuff and then keep procrastinating until your tired or warranty is up, i see so many red flags at ali its pitiful/, i would tell them to pay for return,and ship new a faster way, and then charge back how ever you paid, dont tell them a charge back until they say your new batteries are on their way, this time you come out a head and they get screwed

you are right, what can we do now ?

Good point . What is the amount of damage high temperature can do to LiFePo4 during storage / transport ? I am sure that metal container on train through hot sunny days in desert of China can have 80C inside the container , a lot above 60C that is the maximum storage temp for LiFePo4 .
What do you think ?

Good point . What is the amount of damage high temperature can do to LiFePo4 during storage / transport ? I am sure that metal container on train through hot sunny days in desert of China can have 80C inside the container , a lot above 60C that is the maximum storage temp for LiFePo4 .
What do you think ?

EVE's cells have a storage temperature of 0C to 35C, though they'll also tolerate -20C to 45C for up to one month.

Temperatures outside those ranges, it notes, reduce performance and/or shorten service life.

If you have a data sheet for your new cells, it's worth finding out what their requirements are.

Back