diy solar

diy solar

Taicopower server-style LiFeP04 batteries, buyer beware... Pics included of inside of the battery.

theshaww

I purchased these after doing quite a bit of research on multiple companies and thinking Taicopower was about as good as I'd get direct from China. My goal was to save some money, and I was willing to wait on the slow boat. After getting them, I did a capacitance test and had roughly 600Ah in 6 of these server style 100Ah batteries. I was hoping for more than the rating, but overall I was happy to begin with.

After using the batteries for a month, I realized one was not performing as well. I alerted the business that I had one battery not performing, and they blew me off. I sent pictures and videos to the business and let them see the cell voltages in which a few were out of line, but they just kept telling me it was normal. After a few months of this, I pulled the 1 battery and did a capacity test on the 1 pack and it was easy to see that I was only getting about 77Ah out of it, and the rest of the 5 were now getting about 510Ah together. I was easily able to monitor the cell voltage and identify the "runner". It triggers very early at the bottom and the top and shuts down the rest of the battery when it hits the cutoffs. I asked them if they would send me a new cell for the "runner" cell that I had, and they agreed. I then decided to get a head start and open it up, and this is what I found inside... I can't flow that much solder to get the cells apart. It's just too much solder to flow and I'm afraid I'll damage something if I use a torch or something else to flow it. I don't have a solder bath available... :sneaky: So I went back and asked them to just warranty the battery (I had reported it within the first few months). Now the sales rep is "too busy right now". Now they just keep saying some day... just not today because they are too busy.

These are not prismatic cells. This was a scam. The warranty is worth nothing.

I really wish Will Prowse would see this and do a video on it.

Attachments

• battery rack style.jpg
    battery rack style.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 181
  • cells.png
    cells.png
    574.1 KB · Views: 270
  • solder.png
    solder.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 277
Wow, that's some crazy cell construction. You could try using a high power hot air gun to melt the solder, though I'd be worried about how much heat would transfer to the cells, both through the hot air stream and conduction through the terminals.

Wow, that's some crazy cell construction. You could try using a high power hot air gun to melt the solder, though I'd be worried about how much heat would transfer to the cells, both through the hot air stream and conduction through the terminals.
Exactly my thoughts

Exactly my thoughts
It's hard to tell from the photos if you have the necessary space, but you could wrap some damp cloth around the cell terminals to try to avoid heat conduction through them towards the cell, and use a metal or fiber cement heat shied to protect against the hot air stream.

Check your insurance, keep a hose nearby and update your will beforehand though!

That's one heck of a build they've done there!
I wonder how many cents they save going for pouch cells, rather than prismatic. I would assume the work needed to make such a complicated build (with all the soldering etc...) wouldn't be worth it. But heck it's China, I guess work hours don't cost much...

That's one heck of a build they've done there!
I wonder how many cents they save going for pouch cells, rather than prismatic. I would assume the work needed to make such a complicated build (with all the soldering etc...) wouldn't be worth it. But heck it's China, I guess work hours don't cost much...
I'm most mad that they did not provide the cells they advertise

I'm most mad that they did not provide the cells they advertise
Actually, In China, many battery pack manufacturers know that they use 80Ah cells to make 100Ah battery packs. It's no secret. But because their prices are so cheap, there are still many people who are willing to try them.

Actually, In China, many battery pack manufacturers know that they use 80Ah cells to make 100Ah battery packs. It's no secret. But because their prices are so cheap, there are still many people who are willing to try them.
According to the sharing of taico staff, currently they mainly use Penghui pouch cells, Gotion and CATL prismatic cells.

I'm not sure how any of that information is relevant. Why was this a "secret" kept from me, the buyer? Who really cares what "many battery pack manufacturers" think? I linked the product I purchased and the listing I purchased from was on Alibaba and clearly stated prismatic cells. I clearly purchased prismatic cells and that was one of my demands. They were listed in the Alibaba listing when I purchased them, and I have the documentation from the product that clearly states this. Nothing else matters.

The information is relevant because competition within this market, especially in China, is brutal. Vendors will do just about anything to increase their margins or produce a product that is cheaper and more attractive than their counterparts. This includes ripping off and cheating their customers.
Nothing can be taken at face value, and there are no guarantees on anything. Once that product ships, you can't rely on having any recourse - and unfortunately this is all normal, especially when dealing in the bottom end of the market. The fable of the Scorpion and the Frog definitely applies when buying from China.

There are whole sections and lengthy threads on this forum dedicated to trying to sort the good vendors from the bad. Taicopower is mentioned in none of them, even a Google search brings up no results that help to determine the legitimacy, reputation and honesy of the business, so it would have been a real gamble buying from them rather than a well known vendor, just to save a buck.
You've done the internet a service by posting your experience and detailing the product's defects, it'll help other people to avoid this situation. Maybe a lesson learnt though, in terms of the level of due diligence required when buying from the east.

The information is relevant because competition within this market, especially in China, is brutal. Vendors will do just about anything to increase their margins or produce a product that is cheaper and more attractive than their counterparts. This includes ripping off and cheating their customers.
Nothing can be taken at face value, and there are no guarantees on anything. Once that product ships, you can't rely on having any recourse - and unfortunately this is all normal, especially when dealing in the bottom end of the market. The fable of the Scorpion and the Frog definitely applies when buying from China.

There are whole sections and lengthy threads on this forum dedicated to trying to sort the good vendors from the bad. Taicopower is mentioned in none of them, even a Google search brings up no results that help to determine the legitimacy, reputation and honesy of the business, so it would have been a real gamble buying from them rather than a well known vendor, just to save a buck.
You've done the internet a service by posting your experience and detailing the product's defects, it'll help other people to avoid this situation. Maybe a lesson learnt though, in terms of the level of due diligence required when buying from the east.
That's a good response... For the record, I did do as much research as I could at the time by discussing with other local Chinese vendors that friends had done business with previously. Others there said they had been there a long time. Everything seemed to check out, and their communication was very good.... until there was a problem. It looks like I bought 575Ah for the price of 600Ah (that is if I don't have any more degradation. Unfortunately, I'm guessing there will be more losses.

The pricing that is available from some suppliers in China is astonishingly low. Of cause this “low” price creates a suspicion about the quality of the products. We recomend think about review these questions:
- What is the original of the cells used in the pack? Are they new cells? Or are they some cells that were recalled from some projects and are now resold “as new”? Can you verify the production date of the cells?
- What is the brand and the specification of the cells used in the pack? What are the references of these products? How long has this type of the cells been on the market and what is the real customer experience?

Last edited:
The pricing that is available from some suppliers in China is astonishingly low. Of cause this “low” price creates a suspicion about the quality of the products. We recomend think about review these questions:
- What is the original of the cells used in the pack? Are they new cells? Or are they some cells that were recalled from some projects and are now resold “as new”? Can you verify the production date of the cells?
- What is the brand and the specification of the cells used in the pack? What are the references of these products? How long has this type of the cells been on the market and what is the real customer experience?

For more details, please feel free to contact Bruce @ BIXELL via (bruce@szbixell.com)
Yes, and I did all of these things and all of my questions were answered. I was told they were Grade A prismatic cells made in 2021 when I purchased them. I was told they were a top 3 manufacturer, but that they used any of the top 3 as supply needs arise, but guaranteed they would last 6000 cycles and they were giving a 10 year warranty. Looks like it was all lies. What can you do when a company just lies and then won't back up their product?? Sue someone in China... I won't hold my breath.

Yes, and I did all of these things and all of my questions were answered. I was told they were Grade A prismatic cells made in 2021 when I purchased them. I was told they were a top 3 manufacturer, but that they used any of the top 3 as supply needs arise, but guaranteed they would last 6000 cycles and they were giving a 10 year warranty. Looks like it was all lies. What can you do when a company just lies and then won't back up their product?? Sue someone in China... I won't hold my breath.
The situation on the China market is very messed up. We expect that the gap between the top quality producers with verified products and with realizable sales history and the suppliers using “B” grade and second hand market cells will keep growing.

The situation on the China market is very messed up. We expect that the gap between the top quality producers with verified products and with realizable sales history and the suppliers using “B” grade and second hand market cells will keep growing.
Unfortunately, I am pessimistic about this.
We have to admit that the purpose of most customers buying from China is to obtain products with price advantages.
In addition, many customers who have experience buying from Chinese manufacturers are not so keen to share their experiences, whether good or bad, on the Internet, which leads to many customers who are willing to try buying from China without enough references, and those suppliers’ The low-price strategy is still easy to work on this part of customers. This situation makes another part of the manufacturers who insist on achieving long-term development with reliable quality need to spend more time and cost to win the recognition of the market and customers.

What's the catch with all these "vendor members" jumping on the bandwagon here, saying how bad the China market situation is problematic. They are "dancing on the blood" of Taicopower (or other Chinese manufacturers/vendors).
Sorry if I'm rude, but I feel there is some hidden advertisement going on here.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Chinese market is a mess. You have no clue to what your getting. Good vendors quickly become greedy and start pushing out horrific products. So I'm in no way trying to protect these Chinese vendors. But I feel thier fellow vendors are trying to exploit this situation to thier needs.

Back