diy solar

diy solar

SunGoldPower-----Buyer Beware

Oh crap, I wish I saw this thread a week ago. I've ordered the SGP 5KW 48V system and their rack mount LiFePo4 100AH batteries. It's intended to be a replacement for traditional APC UPS units in a small server room. I wanted a lot more runtime and was sick of replacing lead acid batteries so often with their poor cycle life.

We wanted to add solar panels to it soon as well, but for now will just be using grid + batteries as if it were a UPS.

Did I make a mistake? How are their 5 KW units?

EDIT: Exact model of charger/inverter is SPH5048P

Last edited:
Oh crap, I wish I saw this thread a week ago. I've ordered the SGP 5KW 48V system and their rack mount LiFePo4 100AH batteries. It's intended to be a replacement for traditional APC UPS units in a small server room. I wanted a lot more runtime and was sick of replacing lead acid batteries so often with their poor cycle life.

We wanted to add solar panels to it soon as well, but for now will just be using grid + batteries as if it were a UPS.

You’ll be fine I’m happy with my SG products

I cannot speak about that inverter as I have their 10k model, with 5 of their rack batteries, and no problems here other than poor documentation.

This forum helped me tremendously.

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try. It's supposed to be delivered today. I was going to set it up in another place as a test first with some old decommissioned servers hooked up and see how it does for a couple weeks.

The unit seems to work well, except the screen randomly (?) goes blank. No amount of button presses will turn it back on. I have to hard reset the system by cutting all power and then turn it back on to get back my display.

This can't be normal, right?

The unit seems to work well, except the screen randomly (?) goes blank. No amount of button presses will turn it back on. I have to hard reset the system by cutting all power and then turn it back on to get back my display.

I've had mine go blank when I leave it in Param viewing/selecting mode, but it comes right back on when I press any buttons..
Sounds like you have a display problem.

No it’s not normal, please email support immediately. It is possible the pcb to display ribbon has become loose during shipping or the display itself has an issue

You’ve got power saving mode disabled right? Param 22 dis 7113F0B0-DE67-484C-ACE2-22EBA3EBA8CC.jpeg

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not sure what was happening when I first tried to use it, but it seems to have resolved itself. The screen still blanks after a few minutes, but it now comes back when I press a button.

I'm a bit disappointed with the transfer time between grid and inverter. The specification isn't listed anywhere in the manual or on the site that I can find, but it seems to be something like 50 ms. You can actually see lights flash briefly when it switches.

It's fast enough that our servers don't seem to mind, but it's not great.

Otherwise, the unit seems to work pretty well and the price is right. We'll be adding solar panels soon!

I'm a bit disappointed with the transfer time between grid and inverter. The specification isn't listed anywhere in the manual or on the site that I can find, but it seems to be something like 50 ms. You can actually see lights flash briefly when it switches.

I am pretty sure that I saw a video by "professor Hobotech" -- prior to my purchase, and he measured the transfer time. The long transfer time was a major negative in his review. I believe the spec shows 10ms (see below)?
Hobotech's laptop restarted due to the power out for too long.

It was not a concern for me since I was not planning on a grid connection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123-090034_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123-090034_Chrome.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not sure what was happening when I first tried to use it, but it seems to have resolved itself. The screen still blanks after a few minutes, but it now comes back when I press a button.

It's fast enough that our servers don't seem to mind, but it's not great.

Otherwise, the unit seems to work pretty well and the price is right. We'll be adding solar panels soon!
Mines pretty quick, I was actually pretty happy with the switch time based on what I’ve read about slower switching on even more pricey devices. Are you in SBU mode?

Be sure to confirm your param 3 is UPS, APL is the slower of the two in regards to switching 34C75DC0-026A-4B21-AF5F-DF7E957D62DE.jpeg

I am pretty sure that I saw a video by "professor Hobotech" -- prior to my purchase, and he measured the transfer time. The long transfer time was a major negative in his review. I believe the spec shows 10ms (see below)?

I didn’t think hobotechs review was of the Hf Asf’s, I must have missed that video

Back