diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Honest Customer Service Experience

Kennyh327

Update:
Travis from SS contacted me on this site and took care of my concerns. He started the process of refunding me the $150 I paid for a repair, which all they did was update the firmware, and sent me a replacement unit as well. After a month of frustration, I'm very grateful to Travis for stepping in and quickly handling my situation.

Contacted SS about a problem with two of my 6500ex inverters. Got through really fast and had a tech on the line diagnosing my problem. Went through everything, all the testing of the units and within an hour the tech informed my that he knew the issue and we could start the return process. Fantastic, I thought! Finally, good customer service. Well that Fantastic turned into nothing but frustration, delays and excuses.

Sent all the info and photos for the return process to begin and then I hear nothing for days. Called to get an update and the very same tech I spoke to acted like he had no idea or interest in my situation. He now wanted me to do random tests that had nothing to do with the issues we discussed, just to delay my issue as long as possible. A full 2 weeks after I was told that he knew my issue and it NEEDED to be sent in for repairs, I was then informed he would send me to Tech 2 support. Well Tech 2 didn't ask much other than to find reasons that this was my fault and the warranty would not be covered but I could pay for it to be repaired.
I didn't complain because it was obvious it would only delay things further, so I sent 1 unit back for repair. They told me it would cost $150 for the repair PLUS parts if anything needed to be replaced. Ended up costing $150 so I can only assume nothing was actually damaged too badly. Probably a simple fuse replacement.
Repair was fast and I did receive the unit back in a reasonable amount of time. I asked the 2 separate people that I had been emailing about the repair, what exactly was wrong with the unit and could I get pictures of the damages as it was listed that they took pics. 2 weeks later I'm still waiting for a response.

Summary:
Contacted SS and was pleasantly surprised how helpful the Tech 1 person was. Until he wasn't!
2 weeks of delays and excuses later, I still had not actually been helped.
SS blamed me that the units had Error 52's (said they did not "SUGGEST" that I could double-land 2 positives onto 1 breaker). Because it was not "suggested" by them, then the warranty would not be honored and I paid for repairs. I changed the double-landing and still have F52 errors with the repaired units.
Contacted SS for information about what the actual damages were to the units. 2 weeks later - still waiting.

Very poor customer service in my opinion.

If SS had just let the Tech 1 person handle this I would be giving a much different review. But after he told me his boss involved himself in my issue, then delays and excuses started. In my case, it seems they actually went out of their way to make the process as difficult and slow as possible.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve had to deal with.

What doesn’t make sense to me, aside from the bad support and communication, is that F52 in the manual is “low bus voltage” and the recommendation is to ensure that your getting proper PV voltage to the inverter.

Was the double landing of the positives regarding your PV connection or your battery connection?

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve had to deal with.

What doesn’t make sense to me, aside from the bad support and communication, is that F52 in the manual is “low bus voltage” and the recommendation is to ensure that your getting proper PV voltage to the inverter.

Was the double landing of the positives regarding your PV connection or your battery connection?
Battery connection. They never mentioned the PV possibility. And the F52 error also happens at night, hours after the sun has already gone down so I never suspected it could be a PV issue. They never cared to help me with what or why I was getting the F52 error. It really seemed like they had no idea themselves what the error even is.

Battery connection. They never mentioned the PV possibility. And the F52 error also happens at night, hours after the sun has already gone down so I never suspected it could be a PV issue. They never cared to help me with what or why I was getting the F52 error. It really seemed like they had no idea themselves what the error even is.
Was it a constant error or did it seem to go away?
Was it on just one inverter or both?
Do you have EG4 batteries where your using “EG4” for option 5 on 2P1?

Was it a constant error or did it seem to go away?
Was it on just one inverter or both?
Do you have EG4 batteries where your using “EG4” for option 5 on 2P1?
Sporadic F52 errors. Any time of day and I had to shut the entire system down, PV, Battery and Grid. Upon restart the error was gone.
Both inverters display the F52 error when it happens.
Only my Central Air is 240v in my system. I'm starting to suspect it may only happen when AC is running. But I can't say for sure at this point. It certainly isn't an overload issue as I'm sure my inverters rarely if ever even reach 1/2 power. Last F52 error was a week ago with nothing in the house running except AC and a TV. I'd say the 2 units were running at 1500 watts each - max.
I made my own battery with 16 280ah cells. I have a JK BMS attached. I have the battery type set to USE and the inverters setup as Split Phase. 2P1 and 2P2 with 2P2 at 180 output.
New issue with the repaired Inverter. When I try and charge the Inverter capacitor with a resistor, It faults an F83 error. It shuts the AC current down but not the whole system like the F52 error. So I can just flip the breaker to the battery and the error goes away and systems starts. That didn't happen before the repair. Seems to be an error that is a minor inconvenience for now.

Hmm, do you have a soft start on the A/C? Can you test how long after the A/C condenser turns on do you get the error?

I wonder if the inrush current is too much and the bus voltage can’t recover from it?

Hmm, do you have a soft start on the A/C? Can you test how long after the A/C condenser turns on do you get the error?

I wonder if the inrush current is too much and the bus voltage can’t recover from it?
No soft start but I'm pretty sure it was running for a while when the last F52 hit.
My AC runs just under 2000w. As you know the 2 inverters are capable of 13000 watts total. Even with the max surge I would hope it shouldn't be the cause.
And Thank You for even caring about my situation. I truly appreciate any help.

No soft start but I'm pretty sure it was running for a while when the last F52 hit.
My AC runs just under 2000w. As you know the 2 inverters are capable of 13000 watts total. Even with the max surge I would hope it shouldn't be the cause.
And Thank You for even caring about my situation. I truly appreciate any help.
A few minutes after posting this an F52 error shut the system down.
AC and microwave were running. Both running for a while so in-rush not an issue.
Was looking at my phone which showed my load on system was 4800w at time of shutdown.

Ok, a few more questions for you.

Do you only have the 1 280ah battery?
Do you have grid power coming into your inverters?
What firmware version are you running?

Ok, a few more questions for you.

Do you only have the 1 280ah battery?
Do you have grid power coming into your inverters?
What firmware version are you running?
Battery is 16 280ah cells. Only 1 battery.
Grid power coming into both inverters.
Latest Firmware same in both: 79.71

Had they been running ok until the fault started ?
Check the BMS for any errors and overall battery health. Check all connections.
My 6548 cousin inverters are beasts, they were the only inverters that could start my difficult AC 99.9% of the time, the one time they couldn't, they just popped all the battery breakers instead lol

They do run great most of the time. Probably ran a month of AC without issue before the first F52.
Bought a brand new BMS just to rule it out. Same with both BMS. All connections are good and tight. Never had a breaker trip. It never happens just when the AC starts. Always seem to happen after it's been running for a while.

Battery is 16 280ah cells. Only 1 battery.
Grid power coming into both inverters.
Latest Firmware same in both: 79.71
Do you happen to have option 23 enabled?

I had started to experience “overload” issues running 79.71 when they never had happened on prior versions. In my case, the inverter would automatically fail over to grid power for a period of time and then it would switch back.

Do you happen to have option 23 enabled?

I had started to experience “overload” issues running 79.71 when they never had happened on prior versions. In my case, the inverter would automatically fail over to grid power for a period of time and then it would switch back.
Nope. Never enabled that option.
This started happening on an older version firmware. Of course still happens on latest.

Is not running the A/C an option to test? Is this a 120 or 240 A/C?
My wife is very temperature sensitive. If she's hot, that AC is going on no matter what. We have 5 more days of 90 temps.
I can't be sure but I don't think it has happened when AC was not running. But when it first started I really don't remember if it was running or not.
It is a 240v AC. Runs at 1800 Watts.

My wife is very temperature sensitive. If she's hot, that AC is going on no matter what. We have 5 more days of 90 temps.
I can't be sure but I don't think it has happened when AC was not running. But when it first started I really don't remember if it was running or not.
It is a 240v AC. Runs at 1800 Watts.
Boy it’s hard to say. I know that 1, 280ah battery isn’t gonna be enough to run up to full capacity, but I still wouldn’t think that would cause your issues.

Boy it’s hard to say. I know that 1, 280ah battery isn’t gonna be enough to run up to full capacity, but I still wouldn’t think that would cause your issues.
Thank you for your help. I think one big issue is does anyone even know what Low Bus Voltage even refers to or why it really happens? Battery, pv, grid? Apparently SS has no idea.

Back