diy solar

diy solar

Tent camping solar set up.

Minimizing your power usage is the first step to energy independence. I'm with Delmar; there are countless 12v conveniences which will make life more comfortable while saving energy.

A fan that I take everywhere is this little pedestal fan with 3 speeds. It too will run all night on low and can be recharged via USB. You could easily charge a couple of these each day with a folding solar panel with built-in charge controller with USB ports.

Last edited:
Refrigeration (CFX50), Media (iPad, Laptop), fans, and phone charging can be handled by a compact all in one solar generator with a 100watt panel and sunny conditions. I use a Flexopower 444 (40ah, mppt built in) with a foldable, light weight Renogy 100watt solar panel (which they no longer sell but others make similar ones). I can stay away from shore power indefinitely with enough sun in the Western U.S.

Air conditioning is just whole lot more. I found a true 12v ac unit from Dometic designed to be mounted on a vehicle or trailer (https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/pr...ck-air-conditioners/dometic-rtx-1000-_-262672) and if you want to throw money at a situation, to the tune of $1500+ and build a 200ah-300ah battery bank for its power. That seems to be ideal on paper.

For tent camping, I use a couple of cheap usb powered fans to keep circulation in the tent when I want.

Nothing's impossible if you want to spend the $$

just a thought. Dry ice could be an option too.
if you want to suffocate in a tent sure.

if i napkin math it right....
if a 5k btu unit takes ~800w to run. 24v inverter. 800/24 =33amps*10hrs = 330amp-hrs of 24v battery

so wills solar trailer, 3kw growatt all-in-one. $800 16s of 270-280ah LFP cells $1700. 1 maybe 2 short nights of tent ac from an R2D2. The growatt can be plugged into charge the battery when you get home.

Or you know a $400 quiet inverter generator for 1/6 the cost.

Camping - tent light? FENIX CL26R lantern.

There's a bazillion reviews out there. My big problem with most tent-lights has to do with the temperature (color) of the light. Not eye-burning angel-white, nor led blue like you are living in the spaceship from the Alien movies.

Aside from the usual levels of brightness, and the 360-degree coverage, there is a 180-degree mode. Perfect for shining light away from others, or just to give your eyes a break when reflected light is fine enough.

If you hang it directly overhead, there is a light on the bottom, that will shower down with a much yellower light, more natural as an overhead. This way, you don't feel like you are Captain-Kirk strapped in a chair and having your mind melted from the ray above.

See what happens when Captain Kirk is NOT being subjected to a Fenix CL26R : (short clip - not long)

Seriously, that yellowish color temperature also makes it MUCH easier to read maps by.

Single 18650 NON-LFP li-ion, magnetic top under the hanger, and a micro usb recharge connector if you aren't a total dweeb like me and use an external charger. :)

Also useful to put inside carved pumpkins!

Last edited:
if you want to suffocate in a tent sure.

if i napkin math it right....
if a 5k btu unit takes ~800w to run. 24v inverter. 800/24 =33amps*10hrs = 330amp-hrs of 24v battery

so wills solar trailer, 3kw growatt all-in-one. $800 16s of 270-280ah LFP cells $1700. 1 maybe 2 short nights of tent ac from an R2D2. The growatt can be plugged into charge the battery when you get home.

Or you know a $400 quiet inverter generator for 1/6 the cost.
Fair. Carbon Dioxide is NOTa good plan

Back